Author Topic: What's Crack-a-lackin? (The Cracked Thread) (moved to links thread)  (Read 9673 times)

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Re: What's Crack-a-lackin? (The Cracked Thread) (moved to links thread)
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
Please don't refer to Cracked as a comedy or humor website.  It is not.  It just uses that name, and its former status as a humor magazine, as cover when it is wrong on things.

I gave up on Cracked when it posted that article about how the movie "No Escape" is racist, and how a commercial depicting women being housewives is sexist.  At best it's more of a dumb Buzzfeed knockoff which shoehorns everything into dumb lists.  At worst it's a liberal version of Breitbart, existing to rile people up in exchange for clicks.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6509
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »
Please don't refer to Cracked as a comedy or humor website.  It is not.  It just uses that name, and its former status as a humor magazine, as cover when it is wrong on things.

I gave up on Cracked when it posted that article about how the movie "No Escape" is racist, and how a commercial depicting women being housewives is sexist.  At best it's more of a dumb Buzzfeed knockoff which shoehorns everything into dumb lists.  At worst it's a liberal version of Breitbart, existing to rile people up in exchange for clicks.

that's a good impression of a cantankerous old white guy.  :clap:
dF = 0
d*F = J

• Big Montana
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 03:35:14 AM »

that's a good impression of a cantankerous old white guy.  :clap:

Well I am pretty cantankerous, and I am white.  Old.... well I guess that's a relative term.  I'm 36, but I have been mentoring a bunch of early 20s fresh college graduates at work recently.  And I keep having these recurring dreams where I'm at my old high school and making observations about the youth of today... such as that none of the students there are old enough to have memories of 9/11.

Still, Cracked is a pretty terrible website. 
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 09:36:06 PM »
Yeah, but Necro-posting a 4 year old thread, which last had a post 2 years ago, simply proves that you had a soapbox you couldn't wait to stand on and proclaim the editorial pursuits of a free website.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:06:42 PM by Ortega »

• Big Montana
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 03:16:06 AM »
Yeah, but Necro-posting a 4 year old thread, which last had a post 2 years ago, simply proves that you had a soapbox you couldn't wait to stand on and proclaim the editorial pursuits of a free website.
Its last post was actually a few days ago, by some spambot.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3863
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
So the last few days, I've notice a decrease in daily content at cracked.com.  Turns out a third of the editorial staff and a large number of high profile writers were laid off, including John Cheese, JF Sargent and Tom Reimann.  Michael Swaim had actually quietly quit in October due to feelings about unhappy with where the business is going.  That's pretty rough and it looks like some of the big features and names are gone.  It's why Cracked Movie Club also suddenly stopped updating.  I just thought they were late.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2195
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »
I've been getting a "This site isn't for you anymore" vibe from Cracked for a while now. The loss of those writers pretty much cements it. I suppose I'll check in now and then and see if David Wong has anything new to say.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »
Yeah, I feel like this is going to be a pretty big blow to the site that, if it can recover from, it might take a while.  Swaim was definitely one of my favourites.  Definitely looking forward to whatever he does next.  Still don't know if Dan O'Brien is around or not, but he's also a favourite.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3164
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »
Dan O'Brien, Soren Bowie, and Cody Johnston are gone too.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »
Well, shit.  There's not a lot of faces left I'm interested in.  Also means no more "Some News".  I was never the biggest Cody Johnson fan except for that, which he does extremely well.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2195
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
So the rumors I'm hearing are that Cracked decided since publishing is so cheap these days, they don't need to pay writers. Thus Cracked is doomed to become the Buzzfeed rip-off everyone's always accused it of being.