Beatles songs
3 (13%)
Comic book women
2 (8.7%)
Cover songs
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: March 16, 2013, 08:26:10 AM

Author Topic: Vote for the Next LOC  (Read 5306 times)

jasimon1

Vote for the Next LOC
« on: March 09, 2013, 07:26:10 AM »
Ok, here are the next options for the LOC. Voting ends Friday and votes are changeable.

Johnny Unusual

Re: Vote for the Next LOC
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:06:57 AM »
What?  No musicals?  Huh.  Well, anyway, most of these seem good.  Covers might cover too wide a tapestry.  My faves are often a bit more obscure (not crazy obscure, but...).  Comic book women could be fun, but I'd rather just do comic characters.  That said, if it won, there are some definitely some great characters for me to pick from (Thorn from Bone, Molly Hayes from Runaways, Death, Josephine from Fatale).  Game shows could be fun too, but we did just do a TV related one.  I'd like to do Video Games from the 90's as well, but I went with Beatles songs since we haven't had a music one in a while, and I finally discovered how freakin' amazing Sgt. Pepper's.  Funny, I heard it wasn't that good... then I realized people meant the movie, while the album is MUCH beloved.  And deservedly song.  Maybe the best last song to any album ever.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »
Didn't we already do comic characters?
Doesn't look like it, though there were a few that could have contained many comic book characters.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3050
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »
Not all comic book characters are superheros.
Not all superheros are comic book characters.

Although I think the second subset is rather small.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »
There are LOTS of comics that aren't super-hero books.  Archie, Bone, most European books (Tin Tin), most manga, lots of independent books (people love Enid Coleslaw from Ghost World), many horror series, the very popular Vertigo line (for the most part).  What's more, even in the super-hero genre, there are many popular non-hero characters like villains and supporting character (One of my favourites?  J Jonah Jameson).  But most important, don't forget comic STRIP characters!  Snoopy, Calvin and Hobbes, Dogbert, Garfeild, Spy Vs Spy, Opus, Bill the Cat, etc.

So superheroes would count but they would be just a part of a larger tapestry.  A signifigant part to be sure, but I think that you said (and I could be way off but feel free to correct me), that we are far enough away from certain list that we should redo them.  Super-heroes was the second list we did.  Lots of changeover since then.  So, I don't really think it's splitting hairs as you not being able to see that a certain medium is very diverse in what it can do.  That would be like saying all plays are musicals, which is just insane.

MightyJack

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »
The superhero LOC only featured something like 4 or 5 gals. I thought it might be fun to put the spotlight on the women and expand it beyond the capes... allow for the Death's and Gwen's and Lois' as well as the Supergals out there.

It seems the ladies get shorted in these lists, ala the fictional crushes and what not, and I understand why... but I felt they deserved an exclusive and that's why I offered it up.

Edit:
Oh and I was going to add a supplimental list featuring the best ladies in the Biz, you know - creators (like Tarpé Mills) artists (Amanda Conner, Sarah Pitchelli etc) , animators (Lauren Montgomery), Writers (Kathy Immomnen, etc) colorists, editors and the like.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:28:35 PM by George Harrison »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
Anything but the tedious Beetles really. :)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
DAMN YOU FOR EXCLUDING THE PUN!  It's a name that was funny at first, but got less amusing every time you hear it!  Seriously, though, how can you not like Maxwell's Silver Hammer?  I don't care what anyone else says, it's a great song (warning: I also like Only a Northern Song and Octopus' Garden.  You've been warned.)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7301
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »
sooo... star wars is a fantasy with space ships, right?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:28 PM »
Seriously, though, how can you not like Maxwell's Silver Hammer?
Just don't. Don't mind Back In The USSR.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »
Fair enough.

Yeah, I think Star Wars would count.  I don't want to get into the hard vs. soft sci-fi thing, cause I love them both but it's really a fairy tale in space.  Also samurais, westerns and basically anything else George could fit in there.  Then he tried to fit politics in.  And Al Jolson as a water lizard.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
sooo... star wars is a fantasy with space ships, right?

Sort of, guess that would be in the gift of the list runner.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7301
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
mmm... susan...
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »
And Al Jolson as a water lizard.

And that's how you gets a like.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1075
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 08:02:43 PM »
Well, I voted for game shows. I feel obligated since I'm the one who suggested it. But since that won't win, I'll change my vote to either 90's video games or fantasy characters at the last minute.

Just so long as it isn't cover songs, or even worse, Beatles songs. Ironic since I'm one of the ones who wants to see musicals. Yeah, I hate pop music but I love musicals (along with metal and classical music). Figure that out. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like the Beatles. I don't dislike them, I just don't care one way or the other. I can name their songs, but I can't remember how most of them go.