login

Author Topic: LOC 68: Top 50 Twilight Zone Episodes  (Read 27212 times)

jasimon1

Re: LOC 68: Top 50 Twilight Zone Episodes
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2013, 03:56:42 AM »
Boy, my name is all over the place. Cool. But uh, Real Martian wasn't my #1, it was my #10. My #1 was....

Thanks, fixed now.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 04:01:37 AM »
The After Hours is one of the all time creepiest half hours on TV.  Maybe it lost creepy points due to the happy (?) ending, but it is VERY unnerving.

I've never actually watched Eye of the Beholder, Living Doll and the Hitch-Hiker, though if I had I'm sure they would have made my list.

jasimon1

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 06:37:54 AM »
17.     The Hitch-Hiker- 1/22/60
(41 points, 2 lists of 8, highest ranking: #1 Sicgirl)

Twilight Zone Theme: The world is not what it seems
Creepiness Factor: 11  out of 10

I have no real opinions on this one one way or the other, but my wife found it unutterably creepy and won't watch the show with me anymore because of it.  I keep telling her they're not all spooky, but....

I found it really interesting that it was on my and Tyrant's list but none of the guys. I always assumed it creeped me out so much because I'm the type that loves to take road trips by myself and it plays into that fear always in the back of my mind that something bad could happen when I'm alone in unfamilar territory. I have a GPS that thinks it's fun to take me into bad neighborhoods so that doesn't help. Maybe that could be a new episode!

jasimon1

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
10.  Time Enough At Last- 11/20/59 
(70 points, 5 lists of 8, highest ranking: #6 Compound)

Twilight Zone Theme: The grass isn’t always greener
Creepiness Factor: 2 out of 10

"Witness Mr. Henry Bemis, a charter member in the fraternity of dreamers. A bookish little man whose passion is the printed page but who is conspired against by a bank president and a wife and a world full of tongue-cluckers and the unrelenting hands of a clock. But in just a moment Mr. Bemis will enter a world without bank presidents or wives or clocks or anything else. He'll have a world all to himself - without anyone."

Bank teller Henry Bemis loves to read. He sneaks into the vault at lunchtime to read and is knocked unconscious by a shockwave. When he wakes up, he discovers a nuclear war has destroyed the Earth. He decides to commit suicide until he sees a library. This is paradise to him, and he begins to organize books to read for years to come. Just as he settles down to read his glasses slip from his face and smash, forever trapping him in a blurry world.

"The best-laid plans of mice and men - and Henry Bemis, the small man in the glasses who wanted nothing but time. Henry Bemis, now just a part of a smashed landscape, just a piece of the rubble, just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself. Mr. Bemis... in the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Henry Bemis: Burgess Meredith
•   Mr. Carsville: Vaughn Taylor
•   Helen Bemis: Jacqueline deWit
•   Woman in bank: Lela Bliss

jasimon1

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 07:44:30 PM »
9.  It's a Good Life- 11/3/61
(73 points, 6 lists of 8, highest ranking: #2 Johnny Unusual)

Twilight Zone Theme: Creepy kids
Creepiness Factor: 9 out of 10

"Tonight's story on The Twilight Zone is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. This, as you may recognize, is a map of the United States, and there's a little town there called Peaksville. On a given morning not too long ago, the rest of the world disappeared and Peaksville was left all alone. Its inhabitants were never sure whether the world was destroyed and only Peaksville left untouched or whether the village had somehow been taken away. They were, on the other hand, sure of one thing: the cause. A monster had arrived in the village. Just by using his mind, he took away the automobiles, the electricity, the machines - because they displeased him - and he moved an entire community back into the dark ages - just by using his mind. Now I'd like to introduce you to some of the people in Peaksville, Ohio. This is Mr. Fremont. It's in his farmhouse that the monster resides. This is Mrs. Fremont. And this is Aunt Amy, who probably had more control over the monster in the beginning than almost anyone. But one day she forgot; she began to sing aloud. Now, the monster doesn't like singing, so his mind snapped at her, turned her into the smiling, vacant thing you're looking at now. She sings no more. And you'll note that the people in Peaksville, Ohio, have to smile; they have to think happy thoughts and say happy things because, once displeased, the monster can wish them into a cornfield or change them into a grotesque, walking horror. This particular monster can read minds, you see. He knows every thought, he can feel every emotion. Oh yes, I did forget something, didn't I? I forgot to introduce you to the monster. This is the monster. His name is Anthony Fremont. He's six years old, with a cute little-boy face and blue, guileless eyes. But when those eyes look at you, you'd better start thinking happy thoughts, because the mind behind them is absolutely in charge. This is the Twilight Zone."

Dan Hollis receives a Perry Como record during a surprise party at the Fremont house. Unable to play it in front of Anthony, he begins to drink heavily. Suddenly he bursts into song. Hollis pleads with the other adults to kill Anthony while he's distracted. None of them move to help, and Anthony turns Dan into a giant jack-in-the-box, and sends him to the cornfield. Anthony then makes it snow outside, which will kill off half of their crops. His father, half-hysterically, tells him it's good that he made it snow.

"No comment here, no comment at all. We only wanted to introduce you to one of our very special citizens, little Anthony Fremont, who lives in a place called Peaksville in a place that used to be Ohio. And if by some strange chance you should run across him, you had best think only good thoughts. Anything less than that is handled at your own risk, because if you do meet Anthony you can be sure of one thing: you have entered the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Anthony Fremont: Billy Mumy
•   Mr. Fremont: John Larch
•   Mrs. Fremont: Cloris Leachman

jasimon1

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
8.  The Howling Man- 11/4/60
(78 points, 5 lists of 8, highest ranking: #2 Tyrant)

Twilight Zone Theme: People doing the opposite of what is obviously smart
Creepiness Factor: 5 out of 10

"The prostrate form of Mr. David Ellington, scholar, seeker of truth and, regrettably, finder of truth. A man who will shortly arise from his exhaustion to confront a problem that has tormented mankind since the beginning of time. A man who knocked on a door seeking sanctuary and found instead the outer edges of the Twilight Zone."

David Ellington is on a walking trip of Europe following WWI when he gets caught in a storm. He finds a remote hermitage, but is turned away. After he passes out, the monks are forced to take him in. After reviving, he hears a howling that the brothers say they do not hear. Following the sound, he comes upon a cell with an old man locked inside. The old man says he is being held captive by Brother Jerome, who is insane. After confronting Brother Jerome, he confesses that he is holding the old man prisoner, but the old man is actually the Devil! Ellington promises to keep this secret, but as soon as he gets a chance, he returns to the cell and releases the old man - who proceeds to transform into the devil and disappears. Shortly after, WWII breaks out. Ellington devotes his life to recapturing the Devil. He finally does recapture the Devil. As he prepares to leave to make arrangements to ship him back to the hermitage, he tells his housekeeper to pay no mind to the howling. But, as soon as he leaves, she lifts the bar on the door, and the door swings open.

"Ancient folk saying: 'You can catch the Devil, but you can't hold him long.' Ask Brother Jerome. Ask David Ellington. They know, and they'll go on knowing to the end of their days and beyond - in the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   David Ellington: H.M. Wynant
•   Brother Jerome: John Carradine
•   The Howling Man: Robin Hughes
•   Brother Christophorus: Frederic Ledebur

jasimon1

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 07:45:29 PM »
7.  The Invaders- 1/27/61
(83 points, 5 lists of 8, highest ranking: #3 George Harrison)

Twilight Zone Theme: The world is not as it seems
Creepiness Factor: 8 out of 10

"This is one of the out-of-the-way places, the unvisited places, bleak, wasted, dying. This is a farmhouse, handmade, crude, a house without electricity or gas, a house untouched by progress. This is the woman who lives in the house, a woman who's been alone for many years, a strong, simple woman whose only problem up until this moment has been that of acquiring enough food to eat, a woman about to face terror which is even now coming at her from... the Twilight Zone."

The woman goes up to her roof to investigate a noise, and finds a flying saucer with two tiny, robot-like creatures emerging from it. The creatures torment the woman, until finally she grabs and batters one of the creatures into lifelessness. With an ax she destroys the saucer. Before the final creature is killed he sends a message to his home planet not to send any more ships to this planet. The lettering on the side of the saucer reads "U.S. Air Force."

"These are the invaders, the tiny beings from the tiny place called Earth, who would take the giant step across the sky to the question marks that sparkle and beckon from the vastness of the universe only to be imagined. The invaders, who found out that a one-way ticket to the stars beyond has the ultimate price tag. And we have just seen it entered in a ledger that covers all the transactions of the universe, a bill stamped 'paid in full,' and to be found... in the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Woman: Agnes Moorehead
•   Voice of Astronaut: Douglas Heyes

jasimon1

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
6.  Nightmare at 20,000 Feet- 10/11/63
(89 points, 5 lists of 8, highest ranking: #2 Compound)

Twilight Zone Theme: People going insane
Creepiness Factor: 8 out of 10

"Portrait of a frightened man: Mr. Robert Wilson, thirty-seven, husband, father, and salesman on sick leave. Mr. Wilson has just been discharged from a sanitarium where he spent the last six months recovering from a nervous breakdown, the onset of which took place on an evening not dissimilar to this one, on an airliner very much like the one in which Mr. Wilson is about to be flown home - the difference being that, on that evening half a year ago, Mr. Wilson's flight was terminated by the onslaught of his mental breakdown. Tonight, he's travelling all the way to his appointed destination which, contrary to Mr. Wilson's plans, happens to be in the darkest corner of the Twilight Zone."

Mr. Wilson sees a creature on the wing of his airplane, but no one believes him. Seeing that the creature is about to destroy the engine, he takes a sleeping policeman's gun, opens a hatch, and empties the gun into the creature. It is hit and gets swept off the wing. Mr. Wilson is taken off the plane in a straitjacket, convinced that he saved the plane.

"The flight of Mr. Robert Wilson has ended now, a flight not only from point A to point B, but also from the fear of recurring mental breakdown. Mr. Wilson has that fear no longer, though, for the moment, he is, as he has said, alone in this assurance. Happily, his conviction will not remain isolated too much longer, for happily, tangible manifestation is very often left as evidence of trespass, even from so intangible a quarter as the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Bob Wilson: William Shatner
•   Ruth Wilson: Christine White
•   Gremlin: Nick Cravat

jasimon1

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »
I'm calling it now: Nightmare at 20,000 is #1.

Also: I LOVE The Howling Man.  For a while it was annual Halloween viewing for me; I need to bring that back.

Sorry, you posted too soon :)

I will say that the #5 and #3 spot are a little shocking to me. You can blame Tyrant though. Until her list came in, the top five were exactly what I expected.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:49:41 PM by Sicgirl »

MightyJack

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »
17.     The Hitch-Hiker- 1/22/60
(41 points, 2 lists of 8, highest ranking: #1 Sicgirl)

Twilight Zone Theme: The world is not what it seems
Creepiness Factor: 11  out of 10

I have no real opinions on this one one way or the other, but my wife found it unutterably creepy and won't watch the show with me anymore because of it.  I keep telling her they're not all spooky, but....

I found it really interesting that it was on my and Tyrant's list but none of the guys. I always assumed it creeped me out so much because I'm the type that loves to take road trips by myself and it plays into that fear always in the back of my mind that something bad could happen when I'm alone in unfamilar territory. I have a GPS that thinks it's fun to take me into bad neighborhoods so that doesn't help. Maybe that could be a new episode!

It was on my honorable mentions. I like it but have a bit of a problem with the narration. It over explained the obvious for me. I'd have rather it just allowed the actress to convey her concern through body language and expression, without the aid of voice over. But again, I had the same problem with "To Serve Man" so maybe I just hate narrators.  ;)

---

I didn't know Heyes was the voice of the Astronaut in Invaders. Interesting, he directed some of my favorite eps (After Hours, Invaders, Eye of the Beholder, Howling Man)... as well as the MSTed Kitten With a Whip

As for #1 -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:20:18 PM by George Harrison »

MightyJack

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 10:16:02 PM »
Oh and one thing about it's a Good Life. It's pretty chilling and it ranked high on my list. But I always wondered why anyone would hate electricity. What, did he pull a Booji Boy and stick a fork in the toaster one day? And singing, why singing... especially when he's okay with annoying piano playing? Seems like the kids got some weird dislikes.

Hmm, I wonder if the story was set today, would he hate microwavable Croissants too? ;)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3892
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2013, 03:55:01 AM »
Unrelated to the entries so far (And I kinda doubt it's Top 5 material) I just looked up and verified a fact I've always suspected:

That was voice acting queen, June Foray, overdubbing Sport's lines in "The Bewitchin' Pool" due to some production problems.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2013, 04:26:07 AM »
9.  It's a Good Life- 11/3/61
(73 points, 6 lists of 8, highest ranking: #2 Johnny Unusual)
An amazing episode.  No twist really, just a presentation of a world under the thumb of a small child.  I don't believe in "Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child", but discipline is important, so what happens if a child essentially becomes god and never has to answer to anyone.

My favourite line: "OK, you be dead now." to the two-headed otter thing he just made.

It's been parodied about a million times, but it really is a good story.  I was actually first introduced to it and It's a Good Life in the TZ movie as a boy.  Man, those two were scary (and better than the first too stories, though I love that opening with Brooks and Akroyd).

MightyJack

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2013, 04:37:41 AM »
Unrelated to the entries so far (And I kinda doubt it's Top 5 material) I just looked up and verified a fact I've always suspected:

That was voice acting queen, June Foray, overdubbing Sport's lines in "The Bewitchin' Pool" due to some production problems.

Yeah I always thought that kind of sucked for Mary Badham. Poor Scout from "To Kill a Mockingbird", sounding like a cartoon squirrel..

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2013, 05:00:36 AM »

It's been parodied about a million times, but it really is a good story.  I was actually first introduced to it and It's a Good Life in the TZ movie as a boy.  Man, those two were scary (and better than the first too stories, though I love that opening with Brooks and Akroyd).

Best quality of this video I could find.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_OF2uOy5r5k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_OF2uOy5r5k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>