Author Topic: LOC 68: Top 50 Twilight Zone Episodes  (Read 27264 times)

jasimon1

Re: LOC 68: Top 50 Twilight Zone Episodes
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »
20.     Where Is Everybody?- 10/2/59 (the first episode after the pilot)
(38 points, 2 lists of 8, highest ranking: #4 Tripe)

Twilight Zone Theme: The world is not as it appears
Creepiness Factor: 8 out of 10

"The place is here, the time is now, and the journey into the shadows that we're about to watch could be our journey."

Mike Ferris, a man in an Air Force jumpsuit, is all alone in a strange town. He searches all over trying to find someone. He finally collapses, pushing the "walk button" at a stoplight. The "walk" button is actually a panic button, and Ferris is an astronaut-trainee in an isolation booth. He has been in the booth for 484 hours, and has been hallucinating the whole town.

"Up there, up there in the vastness of space, in the void that is sky, up there is an enemy known as isolation. It sits there in the stars waiting, waiting with the patience of eons, forever waiting... in the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Mike Ferris: Earl Holliman
•   Air Force General: James Gregory

And now none of the videos seem to work. I'll try again in the morning to add them. If they still don't, we'll go without video from here.

jasimon1

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 08:27:37 PM »
19.     Five Characters in Search of an Exit- 12/22/61
(39 points, 3 lists of 8, highest ranking: #11 Tyrant)

Twilight Zone Theme: The toys are alive!! (And probably the reason that I completely believe what happens in the toy story movies is true)
Creepiness Factor: 9 out of 10

"Clown, hobo, ballet dancer, bagpiper, and an army major - a collection of question marks. Five improbable entities stuck together into a pit of darkness. No logic, no reason, no explanation; just a prolonged nightmare in which fear, loneliness and the unexplainable walk hand in hand through the shadows. In a moment we'll start collecting clues as to the whys, the whats and the wheres. We will not end the nightmare, we'll only explain it - because this is the Twilight Zone."

The five characters are trapped in a cylinder with no memory of how they arrived there. The Major hits on the idea of forming a human ladder to reach the top. After reaching the rim, the Major loses his balance and falls into the snow below. The mystery is solved - they are dolls in a Christmas toy donation barrel. A child picks the Major up and returns him to the barrel.

"Just a barrel, a dark depository where are kept the counterfeit, make-believe pieces of plaster and cloth, wrought in the distorted image of human life. But this added, hopeful note: perhaps they are unloved only for the moment. In the arms of children there can be nothing but love. A clown, a tramp, a bagpipe player, a ballet dancer and a major. Tonight's cast of players on the odd stage known as the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   The Major: William Windom
•   The Clown: Murray Matheson
•   The Ballerina: Susan Harrison
•   The Tramp: Kelton Garwood
•   The Bagpipe Player: Clark Allen
•   Little Girl: Mona Houghton

jasimon1

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 08:28:26 PM »
18.     The Grave- 10/27/61
(40 points, 3 lists of 8, highest ranking: #2 Imrahil)

Twilight Zone Theme: Revenge
Creepiness Factor: 7 out of 10

"Normally, the old man would be correct: this would be the end of the story. We've had the traditional shoot-out on the street and the badman will soon be dead. But some men of legend and folk tale have been known to continue having their way even after death. The outlaw and killer Pinto Sykes was such a person, and shortly we'll see how he introduces the town, and a man named Conny Miller in particular, to the Twilight Zone."

Sykes is gunned down by a group of townsfolk. Conny Miller, a hired-gun who never caught up with Sykes, learns that before Sykes died, he vowed to reach up and grab Miller if he ever got close to his grave. After accepting a bet that he won't go near the grave, Miller goes to the grave and sticks his knife into the ground, proving he was there. As he stands something grabs him and pulls him down. The next morning a group of people find Miller dead next to Sykes' grave. It appears that the wind had blown Miller's coat over the grave, and he had stuck his knife through it. Sykes's sister mentions that the wind was blowing away from the grave the night before.

"Final comment: you take this with a grain of salt or a shovelful of earth, as shadow or substance, we leave it up to you. And for any further research check under "G" for 'ghost' in the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Conny Miller: Lee Marvin
•   Mothershed: Strother Martin
•   Johnny Rob: James Best
•   Steinhart: Lee Van Cleef

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »
I swear this is the most my name has come up on any of these countdowns I think. :)

jasimon1

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »
I swear this is the most my name has come up on any of these countdowns I think. :)

We're getting to the point where it's the big episodes coming up that everyone knows so don't be surprised if your name doesn't pop up again. You had the most single person ones on your list and most of those were at the top of your list. They are now on my list of ones I should really see.

MightyJack

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »
"Number 12" was another one I had little recollection of, that was recommended to me. I loved it and added it to my 25. Those final scenes made me sad though, I wish she could have fought the power to the end.

I thought Richard Long was a hoot, he did a good job here. And I kept staring at the lead actress (where had I seen her?) turns out it was in To Kill a Mockingbird.

I also had Nothing in the Dark and Five Characters In Seach of an Exit. Great ep... but hmm, I don't remember playing with sad faced hobo dolls or bag pipers in the 60s? Large sized G.I. Joes, yes - but guy in a dress... not so much. ;)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:35:53 AM by George Harrison »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2013, 02:19:48 AM »

18.     The Grave- 10/27/61
(40 points, 3 lists of 8, highest ranking: #2 Imrahil)

This one is awesome on a windy Halloween night.

That's when I first saw it.  Youtubed it a few years ago.  It doesn't feel like the usual TZ episode, more of a classic ghost story.

jasimon1

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »
17.     The Hitch-Hiker- 1/22/60
(41 points, 2 lists of 8, highest ranking: #1 Sicgirl)

Twilight Zone Theme: The world is not what it seems
Creepiness Factor: 11  out of 10

"Her name is Nan Adams. She's twenty-seven years old. Her occupation: buyer at a New York department store, at present on vacation, driving cross-country to Los Angeles, California, from Manhattan. [Narration interrupted by character action and dialogue.] Minor incident on Highway 11 in Pennsylvania, perhaps to be filed away under accidents you walk away from. But from this moment on, Nan Adams' companion on a trip to California will be terror; her route - fear; her destination - quite unknown."

After a blowout, Nan Adams repeatedly sees the same hitch-hiker. She tries to run over him, only to be told by a sailor to whom she's given a lift that there was no one on the road. She calls home and learns her mother suffered a nervous breakdown after the death of her daughter in a car wreck. Nan returns to her car, where the hitch-hiker - his purpose and identity known - awaits.

"Nan Adams, age twenty-seven. She was driving to California, to Los Angeles. She didn't make it. There was a detour - through the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Nan Adams: Inger Stevens
•   Hitch-Hiker: Leonard Strong
•   Sailor: Adam Williams
•   Gas Pump Boy: Lew Gallo

jasimon1

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »
16.     Kick the Can- 2/9/62
(42 points, 4 lists of 8, highest ranking: #8 Tyrant)

Twilight Zone Theme: Old people acting crazy
Creepiness Factor: 6  out of 10

"Sunnyvale Rest, a home for the aged - a dying place - and a common children's game called kick-the-can that will shortly become a refuge for a man who knows he will die in this world if he doesn't escape into... the Twilight Zone."

Charles Whitley, a resident of Sunnyvale, decides that the secret to youth is acting young. His friend Ben Conroy thinks he is crazy. One night Charles tries to wake everyone up to play a game of kick-the-can. Everyone agrees except Ben, who goes to tell the home's superintendent, Mr. Cox. When Ben and Mr. Cox go outside all they find are a group of children playing kick-the-can - they are all young again. Ben begs his old friend for a second chance, but Charles, now a boy, tells him it's too late. The children all run off into the bushes, leaving Ben behind.

"Sunnyvale Rest, a dying place for ancient people who have forgotten the fragile magic of youth. A dying place for those who have forgotten that childhood, maturity and old age are curiously intertwined and not separate. A dying place for those who have grown too stiff in their thinking to visit the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Charles Whitley: Ernest Truex
•   Ben Conroy: Russell Collins
•   Mr. Cox: John Marley

jasimon1

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »
15.     Two- 9/15/61
(44 points, 4 lists of 8, highest ranking: #9 George Harrison)

Twilight Zone Theme: War?
Creepiness Factor: 7 out of 10

"This is a jungle, a monument built by nature honoring disuse, commemorating a few years of nature being left to its own devices. But it's another kind of jungle, the kind that comes in the aftermath of man's battles against himself. Hardly an important battle, not a Gettysburg or a Marne or an Iwo Jima. More like one insignificant corner patch in the crazy quilt of of combat. But it was enough to end the existence of this little city. It's been five years since a human being walked these streets. This is the first day of the sixth year - as man used to measure time. The time: perhaps a hundred years from now. Or sooner. Or perhaps it's already happened two million years ago. The Place? The signposts are in English so that we may read them more easily, but the place - is the Twilight Zone."

A woman wearing a uniform encounters a man dressed in the enemy's uniform. She is very distrustful of him. A while later she admires a dress in a shop window. The man removes it and gives it to her. She changes in an old recruiting office. Seeing the posters reminds her of the war, and she rushes out and fires several rounds at the man. The next day he returns in civilian clothes and she is wearing the dress. She joins him and they walk off together.

"This has been a love story, about two lonely people who found each other... in the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Man: Charles Bronson
•   Woman: Elizabeth Montgomery
•   Stunt Double: Sharon Lucas

jasimon1

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
14.     Living Doll- 11/1/63
(52 points, 4 lists of 8, highest ranking: #2 George Harrison)

Twilight Zone Theme: Toys can be evil
Creepiness Factor: 10 out of 10

"Talky Tina, a doll that does everything, a lifelike creation of plastic and springs and painted smile. To Erich Streator, she is a most unwelcome addition to his household - but without her he'd never enter the Twilight Zone."

Erich Streator doesn't like the new doll his wife has bought for his step-daughter. His dislike grows when the doll tells him she doesn't like him. After trying to get rid of the doll, he agrees to let his step-daughter keep it. Investigating a noise one night, he trips over the doll on the stairs and falls to his death.

"Of course, we all know dolls can't really talk, and they certainly can't commit murder. But to a child caught in the middle of turmoil and conflict, a doll can become many things: friend, defender, guardian. Especially a doll like Talky Tina, who did talk and did commit murder - in the misty region of the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Erich Streator: Telly Savalas
•   Annabelle: Mary LaRoche
•   Christie: Tracy Stratford
•   Voice of Talky Tina: June Foray

jasimon1

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
13.  Eye of the Beholder- 11/11/60
(60 points, 3 lists of 8, highest ranking: #5 Sicgirl)

Twilight Zone Theme: Parallel universe
Creepiness Factor: 8 out of 10

"Suspended in time and space for a moment, your introduction to Miss Janet Tyler, who lives in a very private world of darkness, a universe whose dimensions are the size, thickness, length of a swath of bandages that cover her face. In a moment we'll go back into this room and also in a moment we'll look under those bandages, keeping in mind, of course, that we're not to be surprised by what we see, because this isn't just a hospital, and patient 307 is not just a woman. This happens to be the Twilight Zone, and Miss Tyler, with you, is about to enter it."

Janet Tyler anxiously awaits the outcome of her latest surgery. Janet, who's abnormal face has made her an outcast, has had her eleventh hospital visit - the maximum allowed by the State. If it didn't succeed, she will be sent to live in a village where others of her kind are segregated. As her bandages are removed, she is revealed to be very beautiful. The doctor draws back in horror. As the lights come on we see the others, their faces are misshapen and deformed. As Janet runs from her room crying, she runs into another of her kind, a handsome man named Walter Smith. He is in charge of an outcast village, and he assures her that she will eventually feel she belongs. He tells her to remember the old saying: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Now the questions that come to mind. Where is this place and when is it, what kind of world where ugliness is the norm and beauty the deviation from that norm? The answer is, it doesn't make any difference. Because the old saying happens to be true. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in this year or a hundred years hence, on this planet or wherever there is human life, perhaps out among the stars. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Lesson to be learned... in the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Janet Tyler (under bandages): Maxine Stuart
•   Janet Tyler (revealed): Donna Douglas
•   Doctor: William D. Gordon

jasimon1

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
12.  The After Hours- 6/10/60
(60 points, 4 lists of 8, highest ranking: #1 George Harrison and Johnny Unusual)

Twilight Zone Theme: The world is not as it seems

"Express elevator to the ninth floor of a department store, carrying Miss Marsha White on a most prosaic, ordinary, run of the mill errand. [Narration interrupted by character action and dialogue.] Miss Marsha White on the ninth floor, specialties department, looking for a gold thimble. The odds are that she'll find it--but there are even better odds that she'll find something else, because this isn't just a department store. This happens to be the Twilight Zone."

Marsha buys a gold thimble from a rude saleslady on the ninth floor. When she goes to complain, she is informed there is no ninth floor. She points out the saleslady, but is shocked to find it is just a store mannequin. She is helped to a store office where she falls asleep. When she wakes up, she finds she is locked in the closed store. She hears voices coming from the mannequins as she wanders through the empty store. She backs into the elevator which takes her to the ninth floor. There the mannequins all come to life one by one, including the saleslady and elevator operator. They explain that she too is a mannequin, and that each of them is allowed a one month journey among humans. She forgot her true identity and didn't return on time. She apologizes, then turns back into a mannequin.

"Marsha White in her normal and natural state: a wooden lady with a painted face who, one month out of the year, takes on the characteristics of someone as normal and as flesh and blood as you and I. But it makes you wonder, doesn't it? Just how normal are we? Just who are the people we nod our hellos to as we pass on the street? A rather good question to ask - particularly in the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Marsha White: Anne Francis
•   Saleswoman: Elizabeth Allen
•   Armbruster: James Millhollin

jasimon1

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »
11.  Will the Real Martians Please Stand Up?- 5/26/61
(69 points, 5 lists of 8, highest ranking: #4 Compound)

Twilight Zone Theme: Aliens are bad

"Wintry February night, the present. Order of events: a phone call from a frightened woman notating the arrival of an unidentified flying object, and the check-out you've just witnessed with two state troopers verifying the event, but with nothing more enlightening to add beyond evidence of some tracks leading across the highway to a diner. You've heard of trying to find a needle in a haystack? Well, stay with us now and you'll be a part of an investigating team whose mission is not to find that proverbial needle, no, their task is even harder. They've got to find a Martian in a diner, and in just a moment you'll search with them, because you've just landed in the Twilight Zone."

Troopers follow the tracks from a frozen pond, into a diner. Inside they find a soda jerk, a bus driver and his seven passengers. The bus driver is certain only six people boarded his bus. There's two married couples, a businessman, a dancer and an eccentric old man. The troopers give up the investigation when a call comes through that the bridge is safe now, and the bus may continue on. Later, the businessman returns to the diner. The bridge really wasn't safe, the call was an illusion. He is the Martian, advance scout for an invasion force. He proceeds to drink a cup of coffee and smoke a cigarette, using all three of his arms. The soda jerk tells him that he's a Venusian, and that his invasion force has intercepted the Martian fleet. Grinning, he removes his cap, revealing a third eye.

"Incident on a small island, to be believed or disbelieved. However, if a sour-faced dandy named Ross or a big, good-natured counterman who handles a spatula as if he'd been born with one in his mouth, if either of these two entities walks onto your premises, you'd better hold their hands - all three of them - or check the color of their eyes - all three of them. The gentleman in question might try to pull you into... the Twilight Zone."

Cast:
•   Ross: John Hoyt
•   Haley: Barney Phillips
•   Avery: Jack Elam
•   Olmstead: Bill Kendis
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:55:40 AM by Sicgirl »

MightyJack

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:59 PM »
Boy, my name is all over the place. Cool. But uh, Real Martian wasn't my #1, it was my #10. My #1 was....

12.  The After Hours- 6/10/60
(60 points, 4 lists of 8, highest ranking: #1 George Harrison and Johnny Unusual)

Dig this ep, of course. And I dig Marcia (who was always being told to "Step off it" -- step off what, exactly?)

It didn't hurt that Marcia, Marcia, Marcia was played by the lovely Anne Francis (who was also lovely in the film Forbidden Planet and the TV series Honey West).

Living Doll is another creepy one that I adore. I do seem to like inanimate objects that come to life.

15.     Two- 9/15/61
(44 points, 4 lists of 8, highest ranking: #9 George Harrison)

So happily surprised this made it, and made it this high.

This was my late edition to the list. It's not scary or twisty; it's simply a smartly told, sharply acted love story. Set in a post apocalyptic future, it gives us one man (Charles Bronson) and a woman (Elizabeth Montgomery) from opposing sides of the war and places them in this burned out town. What I like about the script is that doesn't spell it all out. That kind of restraint is rare in TZ eps and welcome here. We don't know what started the war, what has really happened with the two sides, we just watch these former enemies slowly connect. Both actors are wonderful; Bronson does most of the heavy lifting, but Montgomery (who only speaks one word, in Russian) delivers the payoff. I loved it when she shows up in the pretty dress Bronson gave her, but is still draped in gun belts and weapons (and a quick lift of the dress reveals her combat boots as well). And then she offers a smile that is achingly beautiful and hopeful. That smile sealed the deal for me and earned this episode a spot in my top 10.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:52:18 AM by George Harrison »