login

Author Topic: Damn, this one was funny...even though...  (Read 4089 times)

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
Damn, this one was funny...even though...
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:07:01 AM »
Hi guys, Merry here, no, I haven't OD'd on something, I've just gotten back into my digital noise project again after a fortuitous set of events...and also, I haven't been around the forum lately because to be perfectly frank I am just getting really tired of the dead cat jokes because they are on every single RiffTrax - and everyone has a right to their own squicks, this being mine. 

Yesterday, I ran into 'Cool as Ice' while slumming somewhere shady online, and picked it up, figuring I have paid these guys enough money in the past three years or so to make up for it. I found it funnier than a lot of the recent RiffTraxes....though I knew once I found out the chick's name was Kat, I wouldn't get through it without one of those jokes.  At least they got through more than two thirds of the movie before the inevitable, and it wasn't THAT horrible - they've done far worse dead cat jokes than this one. And it was ONLY one.

But I'm boycotting until or if it stops, which I doubt it will, so I can spend my money on things like a new headset and soundcard, which I really need, and avoid supporting the squicks with my own limited income.  I don't want to spend my money on something that makes me feel bad, I want to spend my money on things that are funny.  So I'm torn up a bit, because Vanilla Ice really needed to be put in his place, and the guys did a pretty damn good job of it. Though I did kinda dig those psychedelic pants, the 'dig' factor quickly ended there.

I'm surprised Roger Waters didn't sue him for that haircut.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:08:43 AM by MerryWanna »
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
Re: Damn, this one was funny...even though...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »
It was just this once.  And I myself have been a loyal paying fan for ages.  I understood the respect risk I took by admitting it, and I suppose it wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do, but it was my way of saying I've had enough.  For that reason, I could have downloaded a lot of other new material but didn't.  I couldn't resist seeing Vanilla Ice skewered for some reason, though.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:07 AM »
So you'd say you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dead cat joke?

Criminy, Imrahil, that actually made me laugh.  I guess I need help.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »
I've never really took note of dead cat jokes, myself. The thing about dead cat jokes is that no actual cats are harmed in the telling of said joke. I love small animals of all kinds, but Weird Al's "Weasel Stomping Day" song (Sound effects and all) still makes me laugh because my sense of humor is 10 years old and because it takes something horrible and makes it something harmless.

That said, I can relate because I have a "squick" of my own. That is (And I SWEAR I'm not making this up) drugs. I blame the endless parade of DARE propoganda and "Just Say No" specials on TV back in my formative years. I have a full-blown drug phobia. I don't like to use anything stronger than Asprin, and I actually passed out from fear before passing out from the drugs when I had my wisdom teeth out. So whenever I'm watching anything comedic, and the joke is anything like, "This person is on so many drugs, reality is horribly distorted for them!" or "This person accidentally partook of drugs and now they're high as a kite!" it makes me squirm inside. A notable instance was in an old episode of The Simpsons where the one-off joke was that Springfield's water had been drugged and Marge thought the kitchen walls were melting. All I could think is "That's a HORRIBLE thing to happen to Marge!" and it put me off the whole episode.

Is there any difference between the dead cat joke and the drugged Marge joke? No. There was no harm done in either case because both things were fictional. Over the years, I've come to accept that, and I shrug off most jokes along those lines these days. I can even enjoy that old episode of The Simpsons.

My point is, while I can appreciate being squicked out by the dead cat joke, the other 99% of the riff was pretty good. If you can compartmentalize the joke you don't like and enjoy the rest you'll still get most of your money's worth, so maybe when you can, you could consider donating the remaining $9.90 to Rifftrax through their donate link on the front page.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
My point is, while I can appreciate being squicked out by the dead cat joke, the other 99% of the riff was pretty good. If you can compartmentalize the joke you don't like and enjoy the rest you'll still get most of your money's worth, so maybe when you can, you could consider donating the remaining $9.90 to Rifftrax through their donate link on the front page.

I'd already shunted the ten bucks from my bank to my paypal to drop in their collection box before even reading this post - but it will take five business days to clear. Call it guilt, karma, whatever, but it will also give me a chance to send them a message and explain why I won't be buying from them any longer.

Yes, I know no actual cats are harmed by their riffs, Pak - I'm not that  stupid. But cat torture and murder happens every day, and for nothing but thrills by psychos, but it gets no attention until the victims become one of our own species, because cats and dogs are considered property - mere things - by the legal system. Cruelty to animals laws vary from state to state but very few offenders see much jail time - their cases are shrugged off or bought off and the offenders walk. 

So no, the guys don't do any harm, but it drills a nail into my funnybone every time I have to be reminded about this sort of thing, and then the rest of the jokes afterward kind of go stale and get ruined for me since I had to have that happen.

Cinematic Titanic, and ICWXP for all their horror-movie roots, can get through episodes without dead cat jokes - I recall only one being made by ICWXP that I didn't care for (S2ep2) and CT made a dead DOG joke in one of their productions (Legacy of Blood) but I don't think CT find dead pets in general to be any more funny than I do. So it's possible to do a funny movie riff without these jokes. They don't 'offend' me. I just don't like them. There's a difference. I don't expect censorship and I am not on some crusade. I just would rather not pay for things that make me feel bad. I even had issues about whether or not to explain myself when I sent my money via Paypal because of my feelings about censorship, but self-censorship and enforced censorship are two different things and so I decided I had a right to let them know how I feel if it's my money I am spending.

I'm only paying for this because the rest of it was so good, and they have a long history of making me laugh before the inevitable dead cat gags, some of which have been pretty gross. I don't expect everyone to understand. 

That said, believe it or not, and I'm not making THIS up, I can understand someone having a drug phobia--and that considered, I think you've been pretty damned polite to me. I appreciate that.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
Sheesh. It was a joke. Making a joke about something doesn't mean one supports that thing joked on or wants to see it happen.  Don't take jokes so seriously, I mean I doubt these guys really think Nick Nolte lives in a dumpster eating discarded Taco Bell meals, nor along those lines would I think these guys hold any ill-will towards the homeless population because of their Nick Nolte jokes.

It was a dang joke. Didn't find it funny, that's fine, but to take such a "stance" on things to the point of talking about on this level and writing off their work is absurd.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:21:54 AM »
Sheesh. It was a joke. Making a joke about something doesn't mean one supports that thing joked on or wants to see it happen.  Don't take jokes so seriously, I mean I doubt these guys really think Nick Nolte lives in a dumpster eating discarded Taco Bell meals, nor along those lines would I think these guys hold any ill-will towards the homeless population because of their Nick Nolte jokes.

It was a dang joke. Didn't find it funny, that's fine, but to take such a "stance" on things to the point of talking about on this level and writing off their work is absurd.

You're completely missing the point. But that happens - we're only human.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 03:26:21 AM »
Watched the second half of it to hear the joke.  I wouldn't have really noticed it or made the connection were I not listening for it, honestly.

That's just it. People won't notice something if it's not a personal squick - and I don't expect them to.  But when it happens it sours the mood.

As I mentioned earlier, compared to past dead cat gags it wasn't all that bad. It is an unpleasant fact of life that even cat lovers understand that sometimes a sick cat has to be 'put down'. I still don't find it funny, but it wasn't on the level of one short that creeped me out with something about 'kitten skulls in the fireplace'. 

What is starting to bother me is that this seems to be, like the whole Nick Nolte thing, a 'running gag' and you just can't find a single RiffTrax that doesn't have a dead cat joke somewhere in it.  It's gotten to the point FOR ME that I'm trying to enjoy the genuinely funny parts but part of me is dreading the inevitable squick.  I KNOW IT'S DUMB but that doesn't keep it from happening.

I never was a huge fan of certain kinds of 'dark humor', but most of it slides past my 'squick radar' - except this one thing.  Some people are the same way about jokes involving children getting hurt or abused, which I understand totally, but since I never had kids I feel this way about cats. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:34:49 AM by MerryWanna »

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »
Might it make you feel better to know that a portion of the purchases go to pay my salary? No? Oh...more details. I'm very active in animal rescue and have participated in walks and campaigns against animal abuse. By 'very active' I mean that's how I've spent the majority of my weekends - working adoption events for a German Shepherd rescue and going to the kennels for walks and socialization. I LOVE dogs and cats (I actually just lost my cat this past summer - a big maine coon who made it to the ripe old age of 17)...to the point where I've quit doing stand-up comedy after slugging it out for 2 years in the scene and applied to Animal Behavior College to become certified as a dog trainer so that, in my free time, I can go to shelters and help make the animals more adoptable by getting them ready for Canine Good Citizen certification. I'm definitely one of those people who cringes more at animal abuse than people abuse...it's just how I am.

That said, I can guarantee that everyone here is an animal lover. The jokes in the riffs are simply that - jokes. And relatively innocent ones at that. I have no idea what a 'squick' is supposed to be, but the guys are not going out of their way to make dead cat jokes - sometimes things just fall into the subconscious vernacular. That's all it is. I admit that my sense of humor does tend to run on the dark side, but that said:If they were doing it maliciously or on purpose, I guarandamntee you that I would not be working for them. The jokes might 'squick' you - but know that, in a round about way, buying RiffTrax helps animals as it allows me the financial agility to go out and help them.

I know that's a lot of text to say, "I help animals!" But I felt I had to say something here because I don't want RiffTrax to be associated with animal abuse - or apathy toward it - while on my watch. By ANYONE.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:09:33 PM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 06:08:10 PM »
Well said. The guys are telling jokes, nothing more. I seriously doubt any of them (or anyone on the RT staff) are malicious towards animals. Really, what human being other than a sociopath would be?

"Squick", by the way, is just an "Internet 'Word'" for "sick." But less "sick" and more "icky" but also less that and just more "uncomfortable."

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
I know Monty Python used a lot of dead cat jokes, or I guess there were mostly dead cat site gags, went looking and I guess it did kind of start in the British Empire.

Look into the history of the phrase "can't swing a dead cat without hitting __________".  The origin story I've seen most is it starts with the British navy.  The name for the whip used in the British military to punish soldiers was called a cat or cattail.  Ships were so cramped the saying was there wasn't enough room to swing it.  Over a hundred years it morphed into the dead cat saying.

Really hard to find out if the Python gang was the first to use it for comedy.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 12:32:46 AM »
Thanks for that etymology; I'll have to remember that if I ever hear that "swing a dead cat" joke anywhere.  Funny that of all things that actually made me laugh on this forum thread when Imrahil said it, and I had no idea about the etymology.

If Monty Python ever used those jokes the only reason I never heard them was I could never hear a lot of things Python said, because of the thick accent.  I only remember the infamous dead parrot joke.

Thrashalla, you have got my commendation in full - I don't know how to put it any other way. I've been looking for a way to volunteer in this capacity without coming into contact with too many crying homeless cats, since that would send me over the edge emotionally and I don't want to become one of those horrible cat hoarders - I only have the space for my one and I know if I was actually down at the shelters that would somehow eventually change - I'd start making excuses to myself, ugh. I'm glad some awareness of this problem has been spread, even if it's by horrendous reality TV shows making money from people's miserable living situations.

As for the constant repetitions by others of "it's just a joke", either you're not reading my postings or failing to understand them completely.  I'm not going to go on with this thread because I don't want to just argue in circles and waste all our time.  The thing I've been trying to say is I DAMN WELL CONSCIOUSLY KNOW that already, and always HAVE known that, even to the point of being somewhat ashamed of it.  The shame just sort of ended for me and I decided to deal with the problem. I honestly wish I wasn't this sensitive on this point. But these things don't just go away because Sensible Part of Brain tells Irrational Part of Brain to stop reacting in a certain way.

At any rate, I'm paying for my download, but only someone masochistic continues to willingly expose themselves to things that make them feel bad, and for all my neurotic tendencies, masochism isn't one of them. So I don't know how many future RiffTrax I'll be buying.  I guess it will be case-by-case; I'll pick up what looks like it's going to be entertaining enough to balance the negative enough to be worth the money.

I have to admit I do miss the forum. I can disagree with people without feeling hated for it.  You'll probably see me around occasionally, but I won't bring up this topic again. I've exhausted my points and I do have other things to do these days.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:34:30 AM by MerryWanna »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 12:59:36 AM »
The thing I've been trying to say is I DAMN WELL CONSCIOUSLY KNOW that already, and always HAVE known that, even to the point of being somewhat ashamed of it.  The shame just sort of ended for me and I decided to deal with the problem. I honestly wish I wasn't this sensitive on this point. But these things don't just go away because Sensible Part of Brain tells Irrational Part of Brain to stop reacting in a certain way.

If it's really that bad I am sure there is some type of therapy for it.  My guess would be it would be similar to getting help for a bad phobia.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
I know Monty Python used a lot of dead cat jokes

At least they never used any dead parrot jokes!

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »
The thing I've been trying to say is I DAMN WELL CONSCIOUSLY KNOW that already, and always HAVE known that, even to the point of being somewhat ashamed of it.  The shame just sort of ended for me and I decided to deal with the problem. I honestly wish I wasn't this sensitive on this point. But these things don't just go away because Sensible Part of Brain tells Irrational Part of Brain to stop reacting in a certain way.

If it's really that bad I am sure there is some type of therapy for it.  My guess would be it would be similar to getting help for a bad phobia.

Actually, I've discussed this with a therapist but oddly enough it was various aspects of this thread and some PMs connected to it which helped me discover the source of the problem. Though dead pets were never entertaining to me, they didn't elicit such a fun-squelching 'squick' reaction until something that happened to me in 2004, which had become something like a 'buried memory' - at least emotionally.  It all makes sense to me now.  Maybe this will help cure it, or at least begin the process.  So thanks to the persons who helped...most of whom know who you are.  :)