Author Topic: Fun with the VHS version  (Read 8291 times)

Offline Monkey King

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Fun with the VHS version
« on: March 13, 2007, 02:11:46 AM »
Since my family was really, really slow to upgrade, we ended up getting Episode I on VHS back when it was released, so that's the copy I watched when I fired up the Rifftrax. The syncing went really out of whack somewhere in the middle, and I figured out why: they trimmed the VHS version. That's not really surprising, but it's interesting what parts they chose to trim. Specifically, they cut out a big chunk of the Neverending Pod Racing Sequence, and one of the gratuitous CG shots from Coruscant. I noticed the second one because it's the very shot Mike complains about. Apparently even Lucasarts thought those scenes ran too long.

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
Re: Fun with the VHS version
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 02:52:08 AM »
Since my family was really, really slow to upgrade, we ended up getting Episode I on VHS back when it was released, so that's the copy I watched when I fired up the Rifftrax. The syncing went really out of whack somewhere in the middle, and I figured out why: they trimmed the VHS version. That's not really surprising, but it's interesting what parts they chose to trim. Specifically, they cut out a big chunk of the Neverending Pod Racing Sequence, and one of the gratuitous CG shots from Coruscant. I noticed the second one because it's the very shot Mike complains about. Apparently even Lucasarts thought those scenes ran too long.

I thought they added pod sequence crap to the DVD version. That would fit their MO.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:06:33 PM »
The original VHS release from 1999 is the same as the theatrical release, but the DVD is an extended special edition, the biggest addition being an even more god-awful boring prelude to the podrace. Star Wars: Ep I: Alternate Versions

Offline DeadlyCinema

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • The Underworld Looks Better in Pink
    • Deadly Cinema: The Myspace Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 07:13:41 PM »
Plus, take in account that DVD's have a tendency to switch layers around halfway through films. It's only a second long, but that might've been a reason the VHS was out of sync with the Rifftrax.

Matthew
myspace.com/deadlycinema

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 07:26:56 PM »
I watched Top Gun on VHS, and the drift was negligible. The movie was still gay, and Mike and Bill were still funny.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 05:02:01 AM »
Plus, take in account that DVD's have a tendency to switch layers around halfway through films. It's only a second long, but that might've been a reason the VHS was out of sync with the Rifftrax.

Matthew
myspace.com/deadlycinema

The rifftrax mp3s do not take anything like that into account.

Offline Monkey King

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »
The original VHS release from 1999 is the same as the theatrical release, but the DVD is an extended special edition, the biggest addition being an even more god-awful boring prelude to the podrace. Star Wars: Ep I: Alternate Versions
I guess that explains it too. Geez, 22 minutes... It's like Lucas just wanted the pod-racing sequence, and then had to wrap a movie around it to justify the effort.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 09:49:19 PM »
I guess that explains it too. Geez, 22 minutes... It's like Lucas just wanted the pod-racing sequence, and then had to wrap a movie around it to justify the effort.

That sounds about right. His first draft was probably the podrace, JarJar, and maybe some lightsabers.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 07:27:41 AM »
The movie was still gay

It didn't strike me as very homosexual at all, but maybe I don't read as much subtext into it as others do.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »
The movie was still gay

It didn't strike me as very homosexual at all, but maybe I don't read as much subtext into it as others do.

You didn't detect the copious homeroticism dripping from Top Gun? I guess you're lucky.

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 08:02:16 AM »
The movie was still gay

You didn't detect the copious homeroticism dripping from Top Gun? I guess you're lucky.
You're crazy. What's gay about topless, sweaty beach volleyball, spread-legged, nearly naked affirmations of affection in the locker room, and bars full of men singing together?

Offline cfkane

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
SW ep1 VHS
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 10:58:57 AM »
Hey, longtime fan of the site and the show before it.

I own the VHS edition of The Phantom Menace, but not the DVD. Will the riff for Episode 1 work for the VHS version?

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Re: Submit your questions here!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 11:28:51 AM »
(I know you didn't ask me, but YES. That's how I first saw it.)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »
Getting back on topic, yes Top Gun is gayer than Senator Larry Craig at a Wham concert.
On timeout

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 03:21:51 PM »

I think it was all for the video game. "Hey, if we add this it'll make the video game seem fun."  Sure, if fun = boring and worse than death.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?