login

Author Topic: Very Important Addition to RiffTrax Library  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
Very Important Addition to RiffTrax Library
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »
It came out of nowhere. I would never have thought in a million years to riff this movie, but now that they have it's all like "Um, DUH!" It's the boldest entry in a long time. I'm assuming they either had to license the film or buy it outright. This movie is not in the public domain, and while I'm assuming that some of the VOD releases in the last two years were licensed however this one was, but this blows them all out of the water. The movie is well known and produced by a major studio. If this is successful, it opens up the doors to all kinds of unique VOD releases. As much as I liked McBain, that release seems more like a stepping stone to this one now that I've watched them both multiple times now. I'm very excited to see what they follow this one up with.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 453
Re: Very Important Addition to RiffTrax Library
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »
The last few movies (but, as you say, this one more than others) have been licensed by studios (not PD.) It's like Legend/Rifftrax simply made royalties deal with the copyright holders who know that there's very little chance their movie will see the light of day any other way.  No one will go and pick-up "McBain" or "A Stranger Calls Back" and certainly not "Cool as Ice" off the shelf and pay $20 for it.   But they WILL pay $10 to see it made fun of.  So as long as the studio gets something they're happy no matter how it's released.  With this approach there's a LOT out there Rifftrax can take on as a VOD that doesn't have a wide Home Video release due to lack of demand but hasn't yet fallen into PD.

With this one I wonder if Mr. Ice himself will see it.

Ew... That means in some way buying this means Mr. Ice gets some fraction of a cent (or a whole cent) of my money. I feel dirty.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
I made my peace with Mr. Ice many years ago. Me and him are cool now and I can look back on his music as part of the pop culture of my childhood.

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »
The last few movies (but, as you say, this one more than others) have been licensed by studios (not PD.) It's like Legend/Rifftrax simply made royalties deal with the copyright holders who know that there's very little chance their movie will see the light of day any other way.  No one will go and pick-up "McBain" or "A Stranger Calls Back" and certainly not "Cool as Ice" off the shelf and pay $20 for it.   But they WILL pay $10 to see it made fun of.  So as long as the studio gets something they're happy no matter how it's released.  With this approach there's a LOT out there Rifftrax can take on as a VOD that doesn't have a wide Home Video release due to lack of demand but hasn't yet fallen into PD.

With this one I wonder if Mr. Ice himself will see it.

Ew... That means in some way buying this means Mr. Ice gets some fraction of a cent (or a whole cent) of my money. I feel dirty.

Look, I might have dreamed this, but I think Vanilla Ice has actually done a series of "celebrity ice dancing" or "celebrity high diving" in Britain. Think of this as giving the unpleasant but genuinely, dangerously, D.T.'ing street drunk a quarter.
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline Droppo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:46:14 AM »
I agree.....although it's hilarious to ascribe the term "very important" to Cool as Ice.  This is in the Rifftrax HOF along with the likes of The Guy From Harlem, Birdemic and Twilight.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:28:36 AM »
The last few movies (but, as you say, this one more than others) have been licensed by studios (not PD.) It's like Legend/Rifftrax simply made royalties deal with the copyright holders who know that there's very little chance their movie will see the light of day any other way.  No one will go and pick-up "McBain"

Apparently, there's a UK Blu-Ray of McBain on the market, and there's supposed to be a North American release soon.

But as you say, it's a big step for Rifftrax. Perhaps we'll eventually see the Rifftrax name on studio DVDs.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2973
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »

Yeah, this is one reason I won't be buying this one. If it were a regular trax where I buy the mp3 and pirate the movie, I'd be fine with it. :)

Seriously? You're SO missing out on this one. The way I see it, the performance of Mr. Van Winkle has brought laughter into my life, and for that I owe him the 2 or 3 cents he'll see from my purchase. He can use it to help flip his next house! :^)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:19:30 AM »
Calling it music is being very generous.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5531
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 07:13:14 AM »
I also REALLY hate rap music in any form. But I was surprised how relatively little there actually was in the movie. The beginning and ending were basically just rap videos, yes. But the rest of the time not much. Even the bit where he raps at the lame town party is pretty short.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 07:27:55 AM »
I agree, I watched this again last night with my buddy and there's very little rap in it. Most of the montages and stuff in the middle of the movie was just some crummy pop song from the time. Surprisingly little rap music for a movie centered around one of the biggest rap stars of the 1990s. [citation needed]

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2525
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »
I was also afraid there would be non-stop rap music, since I loath it.  But yeah, there really wasn't that much, and what there is has a lot of riffs on top of it, I actually need to listen with headphones sometime to the opening because they riff on some lines in the opening song that I still have not been able to hear due to laughing at a previous line.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 06:35:27 PM »
Alot of the riffing during the opening credits sequence centered around Vanilla's first single/album.

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 286
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
I just realized Mr. Ice is going to see a bump in his royalty paychecks because of RiffTrax. That's funny to me that he will have that reaction.

Wait... does he even know this exists!?!?