login

Author Topic: CT to stop live shows after 2013  (Read 11287 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: CT to stop live shows after 2013
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
So for the folks who can't come to a live show, it's going out with a whimper.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3403
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 06:57:50 AM »
Apologies for the bump, but I just saw a Trace post on Satellite News that confirmed there were no plans to release anything.

"At this time we have no plans to record ASTRAL FACTOR or DOLL SQUAD for release."

That's really too bad - would be nice to give fans something as a sendoff.
Again, Piss Poor Planning on their (CT's) part and I'm not surprised ::)
At least RiffTrax understands this business aspect much better and puts their Live shows on DVD eventually :-X

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »
It probably has more to do with the fact that RT partnered with Legend Films out of the gate, while CT wanted to do this off the grid, so to speak. There's a big difference in having an office compared to selling DVDs out of Trace's basement. One has more limitations than the other.   

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »
I'm hopin" this opens the opportunity that other members of CT besides Mary Jo Pehl to guest riff movies.  I'm hopin" really a lot.
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2339
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »
It probably has more to do with the fact that RT partnered with Legend Films out of the gate, while CT wanted to do this off the grid, so to speak. There's a big difference in having an office compared to selling DVDs out of Trace's basement. One has more limitations than the other.

I agree, though it's also partly due to them not embracing digital technology as well as Rifftrax did as well. There is a a lot less (some, but a lot less) difficulty if you go the VOD route. Their ISOs never seemed to be all that well received, and had they offered other options, in a better, more reliable way, that might have done them better, IMO.

I do wonder if the last couple of unreleased movies were filmed and it's the DVD steps stopping us from getting them, or if they never got that far...
FINE

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
I agree, though it's also partly due to them not embracing digital technology as well as Rifftrax did as well. There is a a lot less (some, but a lot less) difficulty if you go the VOD route. Their ISOs never seemed to be all that well received, and had they offered other options, in a better, more reliable way, that might have done them better, IMO.

I do wonder if the last couple of unreleased movies were filmed and it's the DVD steps stopping us from getting them, or if they never got that far...

Yeah, I don't get that. I understand if the idea of doing VODs might have been a little scary to them, due to the inevitable bootlegging and torrenting. But it sure beats putting it on us to get them to come to town.

Offline BoB3K

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »
They had a VOD delivery system and it was poor from the beginning and in the end failed completely--EZTakes.

I also vote that the main reason they aren't releasing the last two on DVD is Piss Poor Planning.  I'll actually go a step further and say it's the general dull apathy they have shown for the project as a whole ever since their second year.

MST3K is my favorite show, and those guys are all nice, cool, funny people--but, in the end, I don't think that group could handle making and maintaining their own "show".  I've always been very disappointed with CT as a product, in both quantity and quality.

If you think about it, they're going out the same way they came in--with very little actual delivered content.

I'm on board with looking forward to more RiffTrax guest appearance.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5298
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »
I've really liked the riffing itself on the releases that I have, but just overall I prefer Rifftrax taking it to the next level with riffing newer bigger movies.

Offline oddstocks

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2013, 09:26:34 AM »
Piss poor planning. Yeah, it sure was poor planning on their part that the economy should plummet right after only their second dvd release. They really shouldn't have planned for all those torrents of their work to spring up, either. I bet that's the real reason they're not releasing more dvds. If dvds had been lucrative, one would think they'd make the effort to do more.

Seriously though, is it even logical to expect the same things from them as rifftrax? As someone brought up earlier in this thread, CT never had an office. Their productions have to be way more expensive (just look at the credits). They never had financial backers, or a team of people figuring stuff out for them. Based on things they've said in interviews, they did almost everything themselves, and all of it long distance. They all had other projects on the side, so they can't have worked on CT full time. Does anyone really think they had business plans? They are writers and performers, not business people, digital technology gurus or marketing experts. I don't even remember ever seeing ads for them, so they must not've had much of an advertising budget. Without advertising, did they reach their full audience potential? My guess is no. And yet we expect so much.

I can't make it to a live show, so I'll never see Astral Factor or Doll Squad. Waah. We can whine about what they haven't given us, or we can feel lucky we got what we did. Frankly, I feel the latter is more realistic.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 930
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »
Seriously though, is it even logical to expect the same things from them as rifftrax? As someone brought up earlier in this thread, CT never had an office. Their productions have to be way more expensive (just look at the credits). They never had financial backers, or a team of people figuring stuff out for them. Based on things they've said in interviews, they did almost everything themselves, and all of it long distance. They all had other projects on the side, so they can't have worked on CT full time. Does anyone really think they had business plans? They are writers and performers, not business people, digital technology gurus or marketing experts. I don't even remember ever seeing ads for them, so they must not've had much of an advertising budget. Without advertising, did they reach their full audience potential? My guess is no. And yet we expect so much.

Most to nearly all of those issues are logically things that should be figured out before embarking on a business venture of any sort, especially one like theirs... so essentially what you're saying is that they should never had started the whole thing in the first place.

So yeah, while I'm happy to have what little product they released (considering they logically should never have even been able to get that much off the ground), we (the supposed audience) can still have the right to feel a bit teased by the promise made (several times) of there actually eventually being product...

And the argument of "piss poor planning" can definitely still apply to the lack of planning you described above before CT ever having been launched.  I guess it was a learning experience in the long run, and they learned that they really failed at the whole thing.

I just wish they had come to or around Chicago in their final shows even ONCE, because Janelle and I would have paid to see each and every show they would have scheduled.  There are people (and plenty of them by the sound of all the threads we've had about it) who would be more than thrilled to have shelled out $$$ for more CT product had it ever existed... but it was due to poor planning from the very start that the product (DVDs, VODs, live shows anywhere near many people) just didn't exist.

I too hope for guest riffers from any and/or all of the 5.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »
Seriously though, is it even logical to expect the same things from them as rifftrax?

If you have a similar product, why wouldn't you take notes on what's been successful for a competitor? Especially when there's a large audience who would be happy to buy from both companies.

I'd find it hard to believe there wasn't a company willing to help bankroll CT and assist in the areas where they needed help. But if you clearly treat the whole venture as a side project, then when things start getting difficult, there's a tendency to back away. 

Offline oddstocks

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
I'm not saying they shouldn't have started in the first place, and I'm not even saying they "failed at the whole thing" either. They didn't start out the way you think they should have in a perfect world - for whatever reasons, obstacles, intentions, or circumstances - they just didn't. They were different. My point is, given the way things worked out for them, we shouldn't expect them to operate the way you think they should, and certainly not how Rifftrax operates, because they are completely different. CT never tried to be rifftrax, why do you expect them to have the same model? All I'm saying is cut them some slack and quit complaining.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3403
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
CT never tried to be rifftrax, why do you expect them to have the same model? All I'm saying is cut them some slack and quit complaining.
They ran things as they saw fit and that didn't bother me other than they never came close to my locale either, but the fact that they made several DVDs of their other riffs (studio and Live) and now they say they're probably not gonna put the last 2 on DVD is what bugs me.. Oh and this is a forum and we have a right to talk about (and yes complain about) what ever we want 8)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 930
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »
When I am global moderator, you will all be banned.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »
I bought all of the Studio DVD's. But when they went to Live Show DVD's. I really lost interest. I mean its not as fun when the audience is laughing over half the jokes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:18:15 PM by Road_Element »