Author Topic: CT to stop live shows after 2013  (Read 9604 times)

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
CT to stop live shows after 2013
« on: February 15, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »
Email just sent out:

Dear Friends,

As we have been adding dates to our live show schedule for 2013, we have come to the decision that this will be our last year actively touring as Cinematic Titanic. We feel that with any project there is a time to move on and as 5 people living in 5 different cities with different lives and projects, it has become increasingly difficult to coordinate our schedules and give Cinematic Titanic the attention it requires to keep growing as a creative enterprise and a business. As a result, we have decided to take this indefinite hiatus.

The last 5+ years have been an amazing opportunity for us all to reconnect creatively with one another and more importantly to connect with the fans of MST3K and new fans of Cinematic Titanic. We've had the great pleasure of playing some beautiful theaters around the country and have taken movie riffing to places we never dreamed, like ILM and Pixar, a sports arena, and even Broadway! The love we've been shown by those we've met and performed for will be with us forever.

We will be performing as many dates as is feasible this year and we hope you'll come out and see us go at it one last time if we come to a theater near you in 2013. We are still in discussions about the production of additional DVDs and we'll keep you posted.

We thank you deeply for all the support you've shown Cinematic Titanic over these years and we're looking forward to many great shows in the year ahead.

Cheers,

The CT Crew
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:05:20 PM by Artie »
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: CT to stop live shows after 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »
Yeah, this bummed me out too

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »
Sad. Hope they do a Toronto/upstate New York show.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »
I just went on their website and only see two Michigan and one Massachusets shows. I hope they just haven't posted it yet. I would hate for their last year to be so limited.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
The note makes mention of adding more shows, so I would expect more to come. At least I hope so!

Wonder if this makes it easier for any of the CT members to pop up on future Rifftraxes. Would love to see Trace and Mary Jo make appearances.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »
Might have to hit up the MA show.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
Little conflicted.  Saw a few of their DVD's but really stopped caring after they went to their live shows and never came within 500 miles of Denver, Colorado.  Maybe if they tried going to new places and not the same places over, and over again, they'd have done better. 

Be nice to see them come here once before it's over, but after being snubbed these past years, I don't expect them to go anywhere new.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:19:06 PM by Rainbow Dash »

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 922
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:17:01 PM »
I would just like DVD's of their live shows for any of the films that haven't seen a dvd release yet! I've been waiting....
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »
Little conflicted.  Saw a few of their DVD's but really stopped caring after they went to their live shows and never came within 500 miles of Denver, Colorado.  Maybe if they tried going to new places and not the same places over, and over again, they'd have done better. 

Be nice to see them come here once before it's over, but after being snubbed these past years, I don't expect them to go anywhere new.

To be fair, they only went where people were willing to bring them. That is how the majority of touring shows work. The talent says they are available, then it is up to the local booker/promoter to bring the talent to town.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »

Indeed. Maybe if they partnered up with Fathom (or some variant) a la Rifftrax, more people would know about them. The Fathom shows have done wonders in letting people know that some form of MST3k still exists. I'd imagine that Rifftrax has seen the expense of those shows returned in increased business over the last few years.

I know Joel's big on the idea of 'the right people will get it', but there has to be some trade-off, I'd guess. If you want the company to succeed, then it might be worth looking into a wide-ranging tour/live nationwide show.

Hell, I don't think they've ever come near me (Rochester, NY), and if they were to come to Buffalo or Toronto, I'd consider the trip. NYC is a little far for a few hours of fun.

Perhaps it's as simple as Joel or a few members got bored with CT and wanted to move on. No harm in that.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 922
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
I wish them all well, and personally understand the whole "we all live in different cities" (and some on different COASTS) aspect definitely... It's hard enough to keep something going even when you DO live in the same area.

I'd personally love it if any of them would guest on a Rifftrax every now and then. Having MJ back for another, and especially if Trace or Frank were to guest! Heck, even if a couple of them were to do an old crappy VOD style film for a Rifftrax Presents WITHOUT MKB, I'd be thrilled at that as well!

The more riffing, the better!!! And the more diverse "MST3k Alumni" involved, really I'm sure the better the sales for those would be!
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »
Some kind of Rifftrax Presents with MST3k Alumni would be wonderful, since this is the 25th anniversary year and all.

They ARE doing something for the 25th anniversary (new box set, etc.), right? I daydreamed about their spin on the Doctor Who-style anniversary special the other day... 

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 188
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 02:56:34 AM »
Bummer, the quality (but, alas, not the quantity) of their riffs had seriously improved toward the end.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2951
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 03:45:17 AM »
Some kind of Rifftrax Presents with MST3k Alumni would be wonderful, since this is the 25th anniversary year and all.

This would Rock! ... But I'm not holding out hope :-[

As for the disbandment.. Well I couldn't see how they could pull in a decent profit just sticking to live shows and not put out DVDs more frequently.. RiffTrax seems do be doing well with all the VODs they've been creating as of late.. Maybe CT should have taken notes. Just my take :-\

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 06:56:48 AM »

Hell, I don't think they've ever come near me (Rochester, NY), and if they were to come to Buffalo or Toronto, I'd consider the trip. NYC is a little far for a few hours of fun.
Oh pshaw, I went to Cleveland to see them, and I'm from Syracuse  :P