Author Topic: Promotional material from MST3k movies  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5088
  • Mr. Robot
Promotional material from MST3k movies
« on: September 07, 2016, 01:34:40 AM »
Mostly I just needed to place to put this little thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5zqzDpriZk&list=PL24ECC151783BCF65

I made a play list of MST3k movie trailers in order of episodes (except MST3k: The Movie, which I put on first) on Youtube.  But I thought this might be a cool thread to show some promotional material like posters and stuff.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Promotional material from MST3k movies
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »
I don't have the picture of it anymore, but I saw a photo comic of Horror Of Party Beach at a comic con once.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »
That's... weird.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 12:28:49 PM »
That's... weird.
Yeah, I thought so too. I know photo comics are incredibly easy to make, but the fact this movie had any outside promotional material at all (aside from a tie in with Oscar Meyer hotdogs, presumably) was surprising.
Here, I found something about it:
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=581491

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 08:21:09 PM »
I think there are a lot of MST3k movie I would sort of expect this for.  Heck, there are some episodes I could totally see as a fumetti (photo comic), but... actually, this does make a weird bit of sense, since it is basically like a shittier version of Archie with monsters.  But I would have expected something like Revenge of the Creature or Samson Vs. The Vampire Women before this.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »
I think there are a lot of MST3k movie I would sort of expect this for.  Heck, there are some episodes I could totally see as a fumetti (photo comic), but... actually, this does make a weird bit of sense, since it is basically like a shittier version of Archie with monsters.  But I would have expected something like Revenge of the Creature or Samson Vs. The Vampire Women before this.
The thing with picture comics is that they are cheap. They are a lazy promotional tool.
Revenge of the Creature was a Universal movie, and a sequel to one of their classics, so it's a bigger deal than some low budget independent movie. If they wanted to make a comic of it they could go all out and have it done proper. Samson vs The Vampire Women was a Mexican movie (and originally not called Samson), so I don't know if they were into picture comics down there at the time.

I could totally see a picture comic of a Roger Corman or Coleman Francis movie, though.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3115
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 10:24:20 AM »
My guess is bikinis played into the decision-making process quite a bit.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 06:08:06 AM »
The thing with picture comics is that they are cheap. They are a lazy promotional tool.

Well, not necessarily.  Though it wasn't a particularly good comic, the mini-series anthology Morbid definitely required effort (it's kind of obscure, so I couldn't find pictures of it, though).  Then there's Twisted Toyfare Theatre, the predecessor to Robot Chicken, which I loved much, much more.

The problem is, the photo comics the North American market is more familiar with are those ones that turn animated episodes into comics.  So yes, it CAN be lazy, but I wouldn't tar an entire genre/medium with that brush.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 07:35:11 AM »

The problem is, the photo comics the North American market is more familiar with are those ones that turn animated episodes into comics.  So yes, it CAN be lazy, but I wouldn't tar an entire genre/medium with that brush.
I wasn't aware there were different types. I was just familiar with the ones that just have the stills from the movie as the comic frames.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 06:33:39 AM »
Welp, now ya know better.  I remember that one notable comic creator tried to do a photocomic styled after the South American comics to do a very unique series (this was around the era Watchmen premiered and he was hoping it would have the same impact, but I believe it either only lasted an issue or two or only got close to off the ground before getting pulled).  I vaguely remember reading about it in an old issue of Wizard in an interview.  I wish I remember who it was.  Maybe someone who is currently known more as an editor than a writer.