login

Author Topic: What are you writing?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
What are you writing?
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:15:39 PM »
Well, figured I'd start this, since Edgewriter took the plunge previously, just to post up a thread to see if anyone else out there is working on anything.  I leave the floor open to anything...full length novels, novellas, fan stuff, whatever it is you want to dredge up...or, something you want to start working on again.

To start the ball rolling, I'm working on the second novella in a series I'm working on (the first is now in the hands of capable people who view editing in the same light that the IRS views a potential audit case; as in, a chance to cause devious pain and discomfort  ;)).  While I do have "real" novels and things I'm working on that I plan on submitting to publishing houses, these are intended to be quick, light reads for the sake of fun and enjoyment.  The basic idea?  Comedies starring Jack Alan, Private Detective, set in the 1930s and 40s, in which every case he starts working on turns into something off-the-wall and ridiculous.  In the first, he has to find out what happened to a missing rocket scientist, and the second deals with a murder at the Museum of Relatively Natural History (so-called because the exhibits are of dubious historical value and/or accuracy).

I'm hoping to have the first out on eBook to Amazon and B&N by the end of the month, if things all go well, and others to follow if I sell more than 10 copies.  Of course, I need to work on cover art in the meantime, and art was never one of my strong suits...and I've seen some bad covers on Amazon, believe you me.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 37
    • Trevor H. Cooley
Re: What are you writing?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
Congrats, SJP!

When you have something available, let me know so I can pick it up!

I am currently working on the fourth book of The Bowl of Souls and hope to have it out by May.
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:55:50 AM »
I'm starting my fourth novel ANY DAY NOW (you all know what that's like, right?) But in the meantime, I wanted y'all to know that my books are back in print and available on Amazon. You can also read them for free on GoodReads, just search for Sugar Ray Dodge and I'll pop right up. The first one (Happy Valley) is about a guy trying to make a horror film in Utah and things go terribly wrong and people start getting killed. The second (Son of Santa) is about the Son of Santa, only not lame like Arthur Christmas or Fred Claus. The third (The Tumbleweed Dossier) is about aliens abducting vampires. Ta-da!

Happy Valley: www.amazon.com/Happy-Valley-Sugar-Ray-Dodge/dp/1300707208/
Son of Santa: www.amazon.com/Son-Santa-Sugar-Ray-Dodge/dp/130070716X
The Tumbleweed Dossier: www.amazon.com/Tumbleweed-Dossier-Sugar-Ray-Dodge/dp/1300707100

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »
You should put them up on Kindle for .99. They may not get a lot of downloads at first, but if you build up a fan base, you never know.
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
They're available on the Kindle for $2.99. They should be connected to the paperbacks on Amazon in the next few days.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
Welp, delays and more delays in terms of the product getting out there, but my third draft is back in the hands of people willing to edit for me, so we'll see how it goes.  Can't imagine it will be too much longer.  Course, got two iRiffs to work on at the same time, too, so I'm constantly juggling projects when I get the time to do them.  But there's a way out of here!  It'll be out soon!  There IS a way out of here.  (It'll be out soon...) ;D

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »
I love me some detective stories! I am looking forward to this one.

As for what I'm writing? Well... KICKSTARTER PLUG TIME.

The image is the link to my Kickstarter page! Even if you can't support it right now, please feel free to share the link around!

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 10:07:42 PM »
I'm writing a progressive, genre-subverting, feministy YA Paranormal Romance novel with a sea monster heroine and a detective novel starring a Minnesotan transgender werewolf.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 11:46:06 PM »
Still waiting on cover art for the Jack Alan book...though in all honesty, what I have seen so far looks good.  Really good.  The issue is the one who is doing it hasn't done artwork in some time and is a little rusty, but it exactly what I was looking for (and actually better than my original idea), so that plus some minor fixes I need to make are all that are holding me back.

In the meantime, I've been going back to my 'real' novel that I have been working on for years, that I just want to get done.  It's a fantasy novel, nowhere near silly (though I'm sure there are humorous parts in it that I just don't think about being funny), but it just keeps getting longer.  How long?  Well, the chapter I just finished tonight is the "big war" segment of the book (which isn't the end, oddly enough), which is a chapter of roughly 15,000 words (though broken up into segments to make it parse a little more easily), and the book itself just breached the 104,000 word mark.  With the rest of the "Part" this chapter is in to finish (about two, much smaller chapters) and a third part to set up for the second book (planning on a duology; so tired of trilogies), I'm looking at around 150,000 or so before I go back with the editing glasses.

In other words, it's way shorter than any George R. R. Martin, and actually shorter than any of the Lord of the Rings books.  And I thought I was going overboard.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »
Wrote a script for a comic book, but I think it needs a lot of work.  I think I need to write the second issue and then I can go back and see what needs to be fixed.  I tried to make an accessible first issue, but now I'm worried it's dull and a bit cheesy.

I'm also working on a thriller (in the planning stages), but I don't know if I want to do it as prose or as a comic.  It's a fictional story about Alfred Hitchcock trying to make his first film, called No. 13.  No. 13 is a real thing, but it was never completed.  In real life, it sounds like it was just a mess, but it's one of those premises that is so tempting to work into a story.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2298
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 11:26:11 PM »
I don't want to give away too many details, partly because I have no idea how I'm going to pull everything off, but I was struck with some inspiration for a sci-fi series that I thought I could make into audio-dramas and record into podcasts.  The biggest issue is the fact that it will require a lot of voices, and though I would enjoy the challenge of doing several of them myself, I don't know how to round out the cast.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline McDonald's

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 09:54:28 PM »
I've been playing around with an idea for a short story about using poison on boxing gloves.  I might just right the draft write here.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 07:40:48 AM »
I'm almost finished with the fifth and final book of The Bowl of Souls series. Due out early October.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »
Well, I'm sort of doing Nanowrimo...I'm not officially signed up or anything, but I'm rolling up my sleeves, sitting down with my laptop, and trying to finish my gigantic, unwieldy fantasy novel at long last.

Hard, though...it's getting to emotional bits.  It's weird, since all I'm doing is writing words on an electronic screen, about people that don't exist, and there are parts that make me get a little wound up.  But I still like how it's coming.

Second part of it is pretty much done, barring some clean-up work, and then it's on to the third and final part.  Then I have to revise the whole damn thing.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1377
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 01:15:43 PM »
This is not a joke....but I am writing a remake of Giant Spider Invasion with the idea that one of the main characters would be played by Charlie Day.

Sometimes I get really bored at work. Ialso really love Charlie.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D