Author Topic: LOC Submissions Please!  (Read 2650 times)

jasimon1

LOC Submissions Please!
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »
I've got two already. Send me more please. Deadline is Friday midnight.

Johnny Unusual

Re: LOC Submissions Please!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
That was mine.  And ya'll know you can do better than me.  Here are some you can try that I'm not touching.

Top 50 Beatles Songs
Top 50 Musicals (this needs to happen)
Top 50 Time Travellers
Top 50 Detectives (also needs to happen)
Top 50 Wishes from a Genie

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »

I totally agree. I'm not big into musicals myself, but I think it would be a really interesting list. Just don't include plays. Because every damn play is a musical, and that could be it's own list.

Most importantly, though, it should be run by somebody that really knows musicals.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 07:12:40 PM »

I totally agree. I'm not big into musicals myself, but I think it would be a really interesting list. Just don't include plays. Because every damn play is a musical, and that could be it's own list.

Plays that are not musicals.

Shakespeare.  All of him
Dracula
A Doll's House or anything by Henric Ibson
Glengarry Glen Ross or anything by David Mamet
A Few Good Men or anything by Aaron Sorkin
The Perfect Husband or anything by Oscar Wilde
The Crucible or anything by Arthur Miller
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and most of Edward Albee's work.
Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap (London's longest running play)
Kabuki Plays
Greek Tragedies
Long Day's Journey Into Night and the Plays of Eugene O'Neill
A Street Car Named Desire (until that one Simpsons episode) and the plays of Tennesse Williams
Waiting for Godot
Sleuth
Children of a Lesser God
Angels in America (Part 1 and 2)
Doubt
Proof
God of Carnage
Warhorse
Love! Valour! Compassion!
The Odd Couple (and I think most of Neil Simon's stuff)
Equus
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
The Cocktail Party
The works of Harold Pinter

So yeah, I would say include plays.  I mean, why would you want to shun The Book of Mormon or the Evil Dead musical?

MightyJack

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
I have an idea for one, and I could probably handle the Beatles easily. I'm currently doing a thing on XTCs albums elsewhere, which has been more time consuming than I thought.... but I could put that on hold if it came to that.

Is there a LOC FAQ somewhere -- what are your duties? How many threads do you host, traditional time frame provided to memebers to offer lists, etc? Just to get an idea of how much time I need to invest before I submit something.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1385
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »
I have an idea for one, and I could probably handle the Beatles easily. I'm currently doing a thing on XTCs albums elsewhere, which has been more time consuming than I thought.... but I could put that on hold if it came to that.

Is there a LOC FAQ somewhere -- what are your duties? How many threads do you host, traditional time frame provided to memebers to offer lists, etc? Just to get an idea of how much time I need to invest before I submit something.

I just sent the PM to sick girl about hosting that one, but maybe we could do it together. That way I can be your FAQ :)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3892
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »
Not really a FAQ anywhere. Your duties are to collect everyone's list, tabulate, and present entries for each item on the list. How much work you want to put into the list entries is up to you. You can cut and paste Wikipedia, create your own entries from scratch, or anything in-between. Then after the list you collect ideas for the next list and host the poll. After that it goes on to the next person. People vary in how quickly they get the lists out, but it usually falls somwhere around 1-2 weeks to collect and tabulate results, then 1-2 weeks to complete the list.

MightyJack

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:45:40 PM »
Thanks Pak. anais, you can go ahead and take that one. I'll go ahead and submit my idea.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 325
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »

Most importantly, though, it should be run by somebody that really knows musicals.

There are tons and tons and tons of great broadway musicals that haven't been given the big-screen treatment, so I'd want to include those on the list. Book of Mormon is one shining example. And others are better onstage arguably than they were on film (Evita, for example. So-so movie, fantastic musical). Or there's musicals based on movies like The Producers, Sunset Boulevard, etc. I'd think a Best Musicals list would need to be all-encompassing.
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »
They're the audio equivalent of herpes
Catchy. colorful, and they stay with you forever.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »
Mostly because they'd rather talk the whole night through.  On a related note, good morning to you.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »
Other entry ideas:
Top 50 spies
Top 50 magicians and other magic users (I've wanted to do this one for a while but never got to it)
Top 50 fictional teams (this started out as super-teams, but there are some great teams who's superness might be called into question that would work great, like the Ghostbusters or the Scooby Gang)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1179
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:42:29 PM »
I just submitted gameshows again, just in case it's not too late. I've never hosted before, but I'd be willing to try. I'm one of the ones who really wants to see musicals though. But I don't want to host it. Although if stage musicals really were excluded then forget it.

I feel kind of bad for missing TZ episodes, especially since this was Sicgirl's first time hosting. But my list would have had about three entries. And since I didn't submit a list, I totally forgot to check out the results until just now.