login

Author Topic: Question about Rifftrax Live: "Plan 9 From Outer Space"  (Read 580 times)

Offline gojirafan430

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Question about Rifftrax Live: "Plan 9 From Outer Space"
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
How funny is it compared to Birdemic or Manos? I'm going to go see it with my friends and this is going to be the first Rifftrax experience they're going to have.

How funny would you guys say it is on a scale of 1 to 10? (1 being the worst, 10 being the best)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2582
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Question about Rifftrax Live: "Plan 9 From Outer Space"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »
I probably put it at about a 8 or 9, easily on the same level as Birdemic or Manos, maybe losing some ground because I'd seen the studio riffs before and some of the jokes overlapped.  Your friends should be well taken care of for thier first Rifftrax experience.  There is a bit more "stuff" added to the event though, since Plan 9 is a short movie compared to Birdemic and Manos.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1009
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Question about Rifftrax Live: "Plan 9 From Outer Space"
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:09:05 AM »
I'd probably put it two points below Manos or Birdemic. It's a funny riff, and the riffs are top notch. The short is quite good as well. But the Jonathan Coulton segment just goes on too long and the Lowtax segments are meh. The first one is okay and if they'd left it there, it would have been fine, but the second one is iffy. To sum up:

*The riffing on Manos and Birdemic was better, but the Plan 9 riff is still very solid material, and the laughter of the audience will help alot if your friends are newbies.
*The short is quite good. Not the best short (Grasses, Norman and the Grocery Witch were all stellar riffs) but it's a very good short.
*In between the short and the film, things drag.

I'd put Birdemic at a 10, so this would be maybe in the 7.5-8.5 range. You should have a blast. Your friends? Eh. It's always tricky exposing folks to Rifftrax and MST3k. If they liked either show in the past, they should enjoy Plan 9 a lot. If they're going in cold, you never can predict if they'll take to it or not. There's always a segment of the viewers who just wish the idiots would stop talking over the movie.