Author Topic: One of the best Riffs ever  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
One of the best Riffs ever
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
Just finished my first watching of McBain, and I gotta say, this ranks up there with House on Haunted Hill, The Room, Birdemic, Guy from Harlem and Breaking Dawn Part 1 as one of the best riffs ever. GREAT way to kick off 2013! All hail Ear Necklace Guy!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
Re: One of the best Riffs ever
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »
Better than Birdemic and Guy from Harlem?! No way.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »
Definitely enjoyable, but not great.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
It's one of my new favorites. I've watched it 5 times already. But it's not just because the riffs were good (needed more Walken impressions in my opinion, but I can see why they resisted that common staple.), but because I love Christopher Walken and Michael Ironside so much. I didn't even know this movie existed.  :)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
Just finished my first watching of McBain, and I gotta say, this ranks up there with House on Haunted Hill, The Room, Birdemic, Guy from Harlem and Breaking Dawn Part 1 as one of the best riffs ever.

Really? I found a lot of the jokes pretty flat and unimaginative. Many of the riffs were just too predictable and obvious. I got a few chuckles out of it, but didn't even laugh out loud once.

Whatever floats you boat, though.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »
I thought it was really good. Best ever? Not a chance. But definitely a return to form for them after the very dissapointing Avengers riff.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
Not THE best, one of. I would definitely put it in the top 10. And can't we just get BEYOND Thunderdome?

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
A fun movie, really a lot of fun to watch. The riffing was inconsistent though. Hilarious for long stretches and then fairly weak for equally long stretches. I'm getting a little burned out on "eighties" action movies, so hope the next one is Bloody Pit of Horror type of thing.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 04:06:47 PM »
I think this is definitely the best VOD since Guy from Harlem. The last couple of years they've laid on the VODs pretty thick. Sometime after Frankenstein Island I became burned out on super weird VODs that you not only couldn't follow the plot, but were just super weird in any number of other respects as well. I have yet to buy several of the ones that came after that and instead focused on catching up on Twilight and Harry Potter riffs. (I will say, though, that Future Force, Future Zone, and Mutant were all Grade A Riffs, and Guy from Harlem was A+.) I enjoyed this quite a bit because a) the production values are great, b) the story, while stupid, is solid, c) there were lots of great and goofy performances. Add the riffs and it becomes a really good movie.

In my opinion, House of Haunted Hill is THE best Riff ever. Not only are the riffs hilarious, it's a ridiculously compelling and scary movie. Because of this, I consider it not only the best riff ever, but one of the best movie experiences I've ever had. I enjoyed the McBain riff in the same fashion. While it doesn't rise to the uber-exceptional level of excellence of HoHH, it definitely earned a place in my top ten riff list.

Just wanted to explain why I like this so much :)

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »
I thought this riff was great. Not my absolute favorite, but really great.

Offline Caribbean_Smurf

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »
It's good, but not The Room or Guy From Harlem good. The movie itself simply isn't wacky enough.

Offline blahnut

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 04:50:12 PM »
I enjoy how every commentary if someone's favorite.  Sure there are some real gems out there, but any given movie contains up to a thousand riffs and will take me several viewings to pick up on some of my favorite lines.  As long as I can sit through the movie itself, they all eventually become my favorite.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:52:35 PM by blahnut »
Rowsdower.

Offline pezdrake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »
I guess everyone has their own faves but this one felt a bit phoned in.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »
Phoned-in Rifftrax is better than no Rifftrax.

Hell, all they could have on the Riff is Kevin and Bill giggling and playing grab-ass while Mike keeps telling them to stop it and I'd still pay $10 to watch it and call it the funniest thing I've seen all week.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:02:49 PM by Trekker4747 »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »
Phoned-in Rifftrax is better than no Rifftrax.

Hell, all they could have on the Riff is Kevin and Bill giggling and playing grab-ass while Mike keeps telling them to stop it and I'd still pay $10 to watch it and call it the funniest thing I've seen all week.
You reeeeeeally need to try some iRiffs.