Author Topic: "McBain" New VOD Available NOW!!!  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
"McBain" New VOD Available NOW!!!
« on: January 25, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »
http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/mcbain

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHoFmXebu7E?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fHoFmXebu7E?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Let’s get this out of the way: Yes, this movie is called McBain. No, it has nothing to do with what you’re thinking: it’s not a biopic of Diane McBain, star of the 1960 TV series Surfside 6. Oh, or that Simpsons character either.

No, there’s no Mendoza for McBain to take out in this one. That’s just in the silly movie series The Simpsons came up with. Probably only took them a couple minutes too. Mendoza...Ha! This McBain is much more legitimate and creative. Its drug dealer is named Escobar.

Christopher Walken (Mousehunt, Joe Dirt, The Country Bears, Gigli, Kangaroo Jack) stars as the titular McBain. When the man who rescued him from a POW camp is executed by a Colombian dictator, it’s time for McBain to put together a ragtag group to avenge their friend. He rounds up a smooth talking technology expert, a black guy who is afraid of flying, and a guy who repeatedly asks him if it’s really a good idea to rip off The A-Team so blatantly.

Finally, they’re ready to take out the dictator and what follows is possibly the most incoherent mess of an action film there ever was. The body count soars, plot threads are introduced and discarded at a moment’s notice and a WrestleMania hat is given prominent screentime. Evidently, nobody ever told the producers of McBain that 80s action flicks were out of style, or that it’s not very badass to make your supposed action hero a welder (McBain is a professional welder, we forgot to mention that until now. Also, his first name is Bobby. Both of these things are true.)

McBain is the movie that will have you saying, “Seriously? Christopher Walken did this only three years before Pulp Fiction?” Join Mike, Kevin, Bill and Rainier Wolfcastle for McBain: Let’s Get Silly.

http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/mcbain
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: "McBain" New VOD Available NOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »
Wow. A perfect opportunity for Dis to sing and no joy there. Oh well.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »
A VOD with actual movie stars in it.  Nice change, fellas.  I'm not a big connosour of VOD's, but this one's going into my library.

Really, the VODs are some of their best work and much closer to the MST3K vibe.  As much as I like the Hollywood riffs, the VODs as of late have been just about perfect.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5138
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:25:51 PM »
Somethings wrong.  Why... can't... I... like... this... forever?

Offline frogstar42

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:15:49 AM »
This can't possibly have landed in the public domain, can it? Or did Rifftrax license it from someone?

I'm really curious about this, partly for possible iRiffing purposes -- what amazing riffing possibilities are out there for a nominal fee, assuming that's how McBain was available, and how does one find out?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
I'm amazed a movie that has THIS many people that all of us have seen on other movies and TV shows made a crud film like this.  Was the director THAT good at recruiting acting?

Wow, I cannot to watch this one tonight.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »
I did some checking and found out something interesting, the Simpsons character predates this movie but when this movie came out it was The SIMPSONS that had to stop using the name! Which is when they started calling the Schwarzenegger-ian actor who played him Rainier Wolfcastle. I'm guessing when this movie fell out of the public consciousness (as much as it was in it) is when The Simpsons started using "McBain" again.

On the rights issue, near as I can tell the company that produced the movie is out of business -having only made this one movie. MCA/Universal must have had distribution rights at some point since they released the initial home video cassette version of the movie.  Since then another third-party company released a DVD and yet another is releasing a Blu-Ray of it later this year.  I take from the information on it (mostly from articles I just poked at on line and Wikipedia) the movie is Public Domain with no one solely holding the distribution rights to it.  As it is the case with RT's MO they only use PD movies for their VOD releases as it's really the only way they can do this, unless Legend Films has some hand in the distribution rights for the movie.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »
What a weird little movie this is. Walken gets surprisingly little dialogue for being the main character.