login

Author Topic: Kickstarter Projects  (Read 33716 times)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Re: Kickstarter Projects
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »
It's tempting but if it ends up only being 3 episodes that would blow. I'm holding off until later before I kick any towards it.

More logically, pledge for the full set, and reduce/cancel your pledge if they don't make it.

If everyone did what you propose, they won't make the goal.

I don't disagree. I would do that if I hadn't been out of work for the past month.

You don't get charged until the end, and only if it meets the minimum goal.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2015, 09:03:12 PM »
Just use the reminder feature, Kickstarter will send an email 2 days before the deadline, if it looks like they are going to make all of the episodes then pledge the amount needed to get the set.  And by then maybe there will be better rewards.  That's what I'm doing, I think there's a good chance the minimum is going to be met, just a question of how far it will go into the stretch goals.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2015, 09:22:45 PM »
Just use the reminder feature, Kickstarter will send an email 2 days before the deadline, if it looks like they are going to make all of the episodes then pledge the amount needed to get the set.  And by then maybe there will be better rewards.  That's what I'm doing, I think there's a good chance the minimum is going to be met, just a question of how far it will go into the stretch goals.

Or pledge first, use the reminder feature to check if you want to keep the pledge, as, as I said, if people do what you are suggesting, you keep the tally below what it would be. And if you have no way of knowing how many people are doing the same, how will you know what it will actually hit?
FINE

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2015, 09:30:22 PM »
I thought Kickstarter had a thing where you can't pull your investment after it's been funded (Which could very well happen tomorrow). Or maybe that's only if your pull-out would bring the kickstarter back below goal. Something to look into, at least...

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »
I thought Kickstarter had a thing where you can't pull your investment after it's been funded (Which could very well happen tomorrow). Or maybe that's only if your pull-out would bring the kickstarter back below goal. Something to look into, at least...

The latter.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2015, 09:34:31 PM »

Or pledge first, use the reminder feature to check if you want to keep the pledge, as, as I said, if people do what you are suggesting, you keep the tally below what it would be. And if you have no way of knowing how many people are doing the same, how will you know what it will actually hit?

I just think it's worse to say you are supporting something and then take it way, if too many people do that then the total drops at the end instead of going up.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2015, 09:37:36 PM »

I just think it's worse to say you are supporting something and then take it way, if too many people do that then the total drops at the end instead of going up.

I only propose you doing that if your concern is you want it to reach a certain point, not if you are on the fence with backing. If they aren't producing enough episodes for it to give you the value of your pledge, why would you give them the money?
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2015, 09:44:45 PM »

The latter.

I just looked it up, that rule where you can't cancel only applies to the last 24 hours.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2015, 03:37:14 AM »
Well, I backed it. I don't care if I get three or thirty episodes. More riffing from funny people is great, and I love supporting artists that I enjoy. I somehow doubt we'd get twelve episodes, to be honest, but who knows? They are almost 50% there after the first day.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2015, 07:24:55 AM »
Almost to a million. It will taper off after the first day, as they all do. But with 30 more days to go, I wouldn't be surprised if this makes it. And if they do only end up making the 3 episodes, shouldn't that be enough to shop around to studios for them to pick it up? I know he probably wanted to own the rights to it and do it independently, but as long as the studio isn't going to change it a lot (which given it's fanbase they'd be foolish to try), it'd be better than nothing.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »
I think as they announce some of the people involved, it will get little boosts. And maybe they will announce some movies too?
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »
Here's another pretty cool Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warpo/dont-cuddle-the-krampus-retro-80s-toy-line

A plus Krampus toy in the vein of My Pet Monster:

They even did an awesome 80s style commercial for it:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZLLSfcbCpi4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZLLSfcbCpi4</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2015, 08:40:54 AM »
 The Kickstarter for the Dragon's Lair movie was just canceled, they are moving the project to Indiegogo in December.

Not sure why they would bother to cancel it instead of just let it time out and not get funded, they were only half way to their goal with about a day left.  Not sure I'd fund anything on Indiegogo, they only seem to have minimal consumer protections in place, lots of complaints about them.

The Star Trek Renegades Episode 2 and 3 Kickstarter is about 3/4 of the way to their goal with 8 days left, hope they make it.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2015, 11:26:27 AM »
The only reason to switch to indiegogo is to move to flexible funding. Very few reasons to go from KS to Indiegogo. I never saw any promotion for that KS, seems they did a pretty terrible job.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/856842557/shield-the-world-s-first-signal-proof-headwear?ref=card

A Kickstarter for "Stylish & Comfortable Signal Proof Hats That Incredibly Fit And Reflect Electromagnetic Waves."

So this, but more stylish: