Author Topic: Kickstarter Projects  (Read 25666 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 961
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Kickstarter Projects
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »

This better get funded. I'm sure there's people waiting until the last minute, but if it doesn't happen I'm gonna be super bummed.  I did the $125 bundle as well.

Every Kickstarter I've watched (and I've watched a lot of them now), there's a rather large boost of funding in the past 48 hours (that's when the "remind me" email gets sent out.) If it's at about 75% of the total, it'll make it. Now Kicktraq is projecting it to stall out at 86% of the total, but that seems a little pessimistic. We'll see.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2167
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
Kicktraq always starts out optimistic, and then gets jaded as the final date approaches. Probably because the usual donation pattern is more of an inverted arch than a straight line. Right now it stands at $682,000, which is more than 75%. $200,000 is a lot to scrounge up in 3 days, though. Fingers crossed.

Also there's a stretch goal to release it on the WiiU if it gets to $950,000. So all you WiiU owners out there, (I know who I are!) there's one more reason to pledge. :^)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:23:13 AM by Pak-Man »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »
Kicktraq always starts out optimistic, and then gets jaded as the final date approaches. Probably because the usual donation pattern is more of an inverted arch than a straight line. Right now it stands at $682,000, which is more than 75%. $200,000 is a lot to scrounge up in 3 days, though. Fingers crossed.

Also there's a stretch goal to release it on the WiiU if it gets to $950,000. So all you WiiU owners out there, (I know who I are!) there's one more reason to pledge. :^)

I'm planning on picking one up hopefully in another month or so. Knowing that Armikrog will be on it eventually (I hope) might make me purchase it a little sooner...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 11:53:28 PM »
33 hours to go on Armikrog and less than $100k to go. I suspect it'll end up around $950k, but that's just my estimate. We'll see.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »
Well, I wouldn't say it is something I want to back and the humour doesn't quite work, but this is kind of neat Cosmo Kramer style idea: custom trophies for whatever.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573834881/trophy-buffet-celebrate-something?

Kind of curious what the business model will be for this kind of novelty gift.  I suppose it would make it easier for smaller local contests to have trophies?  I mean, I don't know where people get trophies to begin with.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »
Well, this ought to get some people's attention:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/channel-awesome-s-new-shows-and-more/x/1630684

Channel Awesome launches a fundraiser to fund new shows (A game show to start with), equipment, sets, etc.

Please note: IndieGogo uses a different set of rules than Kickstarter. In this particular case, this is a flexible funding campaign, meaning that if you make a pledge, CA will get it no matter what the ending total is.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
And this one comes from Mike's Twitter feed:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1375282718/raiders-of-rlyeh-horror-adventure-rpg-and-mythos-s?ref=live

RAIDERS of R’LYEH is a horror adventure tabletop roleplaying game and Mythos sandbox inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard.
I am incredibly excited to announce RAIDERS of R’LYEH.
RAIDERS of R’LYEH is a stand-alone roleplaying game and sourcebook in which mercenary rogues EXPLORE FORBIDDEN FRONTIERS, UNEARTH ANCIENT ARTIFACTS, and OUTWIT VILLAINOUS SCUM. Derived partly from the Runequest rules that have been released under the Open Game License, the game is crafted to emulate not only adventure in the Cthulhu Mythos of H.P. Lovecraft and his circle of influences, but especially the savage and evocative feel of Robert E. Howard’s Mythos and Weird menace stories.
Attention has been made to keep the game mechanics compatible with other percentile systems — while innovating additional rulesets unique to the setting and atmosphere — so those players wishing only to use RAIDERS of R’LYEH as an Edwardian era adventure sourcebook will have a massive global setting to explore and use in their preexisting Mythos campaign, as well as modular adventure, monster and scenario resources for gaming in 1900-1913. Those players wanting a standalone rulebook with its adventure modes of play, will have a complete toolkit for interacting with the Cthulhu Mythos.
Lastly, and most importantly, RAIDERS of R’LYEH is the first Mythos game set up for and supportive of SANDBOX PLAY!
RAIDERS OF R’LYEH IN GOTHIC BLACK & WHITE (PRINT AND PDF)
The PRINT EDITION (RAIDERS OF R’LYEH IN GOTHIC BLACK & WHITE) is designed for players who want ALL of the rules in one convenient & beautful tome.
RAIDERS OF R’LYEH IN GOTHIC BLACK & WHITE comes with EVERYTHING NEEDED TO PLAY THE GAME, including: the CORE RULES, the Adventurer Archetypes, the Keeper Section (How to Run the Game, How to Sandbox the Mythos, the Mythos and Monsters, Magic, Occultism & Sorcery, Patrons & Factions, Dozens of Adventure Templates), the 1910 Era Sourcebook (Travel, Weapons & Equipment Lists, Mounts, The Mythos & Weird in 1910, Hotspots, Name Lists, NPC Stats), and a Growing Appendix Full of Ruin Maps, Mansion Maps, Wilderness, Automobile & Road Stats, NPC Stats for Regions All Over the World, and more. Also available as a convenient PDF. ESTIMATED PAGE COUNT: 256 pages!
The core rules comes with a vast assortment of toolkits to build and run your own exploratory sandbox game  set in the Mythos...

Huh. Never thought I'd see Mike promoting a Cthulhu RPG.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2167
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »
Want to help Uwe Boll make a new Postal movie? Of course you don't!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1544635303/postal-2

Fortunately, nobody does! But it's still making more money than this kickstarter for a new Mutant League Football game, which makes me weep for humanity.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mendheim/mutant-football-league?ref=live

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
Looks like the makers of Atlas Shrugged are completely immune to their own message and are asking people for handouts.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasshrugged/atlas-shrugged-movie-who-is-john-galt

Things that amuse me about this:  People just shown saying Ayn Rand with only a hint of context.  I mean, these are videos of people who agree with Ayn Rand (well, sort of.  I think the closest to REALLY taking everything to heart might be Penn Jillette, since he is also an atheist as well as an objectivist), so why only give the name and very little context on the actual influence.

"You've got to do things for yourself, not let other people make it happen."  Like fundraising?

There's a sketch of a tent covered building with a regular Randian message on it.  Is it supposed to be impressive in the book, because it makes me wonder why someone even bothered to draw it.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently the movie is already fully funded so... why?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:32:07 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2298
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »
I like that they actually defend the idea on the kickstarter page, saying that Rand wasn't actually against giving to a cause you believe in.

So giving to a movie sequel is a cause worthy of believing in, but helping those in need is a no-no.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1377
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »
Can I start and anti-fundraising campaign on Kickstarter? Like, if I reach $X amount can I say one of the kickstarter projects can't happen?
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
Found out about this one from the pop my culture podcast, the one with Armin Shimerman:

Looks like it might be a funny project, all the potential cast members are making loads of videos to support it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dianidevine/diani-and-devine-meet-the-apocalypse-a-feature-fil

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »
Fantagraphics started a kickstarter.  When co-publisher Kim Thompson died it created a huge whole in the company, since Kim was also working on translating a lot of foreign material.  Now there's a big empty space in their spring books, which means that they need support for the spring line of books.  And there are a ton of cool stuff to get since many of their biggest names came together for this!  Like a TON of intensives for Indie comic readers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fantagraphicsbooks/fantagraphics-2014-spring-season-39-graphic-novels