login

Author Topic: Thinking of getting a Tablet PC. Help me decide!  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: Thinking of getting a Tablet PC. Help me decide!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 05:20:59 AM »
I still haven't pulled the trigger on this.  I'm really cheap and reluctant to spend money.  I didn't just choose this screen name because I like the letters.  I'm thinking I'm gonna head up to some of the local electronics stores today or tomorrow and check some models out in person.  I think I saw an 8 Gb tablet with micro SD card slot.

I don't need a big and fancy tablet.  I really just want something compact that can read Kindle books and store PDFs.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »
We had a Samsung Galaxy Tab for a little over a month before we decided that it wasn't what we really wanted and returned it for a Chromebook.  Even as powerful as they are now compared to where they were, they still seem like toys on the edge of the computer aisle.

This is actually what I finally settled on.  It's cute and colorful, and I love it.  Although I can't figure out how to get rid of all the bloatware on the apps page.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 255
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »
Picked up a reconditioned Amazon Fire 10" tablet for $79.99, paid the extra $15 to have the "Special Offers" (i.e., thousands and thousands of annoying Amazon ads) removed, and $35 bucks for a 256GB micro SD card. Sideloaded the Google Play store (have to install Google services first) and replaced the annoying Amazon specific launcher with Nova to make it look and function like a much more typical Android tablet (didn't root it, as that sometimes messes up some apps like Netflix and the work arounds are a pian). Planning to use it mostly as a streaming device for working out on my treadmill. Been a few years since I've bought an Android tablet and despite this reconditioned tablet being a 7th generation from 2017 (the latest release for the 10" fire), I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with it. Probably would struggle with gaming, but that wasn't my intent with getting it and it streams Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video, Pluto TV, MLB, etc. really well. If I didn't know it was reconditioned, I would have sworn it was new.