login

Author Topic: Your favorite movies of 2012  (Read 5521 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: Your favorite movies of 2012
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »
I've got my list ready for my annual guessing game, however I only have a bottom NINE movies. I have never had so few bad movies before.

So, now is your chance to recommend a terrible 2012 movie for me to watch.

I'm excited you're doing that again! It's always fun.

And folks have already mentioned some bad ones. I saw very few really bad movies in 2012, though the aforementioned Chernobyl Diaries springs to mind, as does the offensively bland, boring, and lazy Lockout.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
Yeah, Lookout wasn't great, and I could include that, but I do try to stick to movies that... fall below a certain threshold. If I don't muster up the courage to see one of the above movies, it would probably be my default number 10.

I even enjoyed some of the worst movies of the year - For example, I actually found Battleship pretty fun. And at least one movie that is on my best of list would be on a lot of people's worst...

2012 was a pretty fun year for movies!
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
I was disappointed in a couple of things like Dark Knight & Man with the Iron Fists but I don't think I saw anything I would call bad, was somewhat picky this year though in reflection.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 02:00:21 PM »
The Woman in Black was awesome, showed Daniel Ratcliffe could do a character other than Harry Potter, and he did a fine good job too.

The Dark Knight Rises, good ended to Christopher Nolan's trilogy.  Like how he left it open at the end.

The Avengers.  Better than I thought it could ever be.  And I had high expectations to begin with.

Moonrise Kingdom.  Bruce Willis and Bill Murrary are awesome.

Hunger Games.  Better that I thought it would be.

21 Jump Street.  Loved it.  And the cameo was a classic.

Cabin in the Woods.  One of the most original movies I've ever seen.  Very clever.

John Carter.  Didn't expect anything with this.  I know it did horrible in the theaters and with critics.  Shame.

But there's still so many I haven't seen.

Least favorite?  The movie that should be destroyed and never heard of again?  Battleship. 

Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
I LOVED 21 Jump Street. It was able to make fun of itself, be funny, have a good story. The perfect remake. On that note, Magic Mike was not that bad. I mean, I was expecting to see nothing but stripper dance scenes, but there was more plot than stripping and the plot was not that bad. I have a lot of respect for Channing Tatum, and I very much enjoyed seeing his naked ass.

In terms of Oscar contenders, I have scene Argo and Les Miserables and both of them were AMAZING. Watch the South Park episode where Butters gets so angry because Ben Affleck is actually an amazing talent, it says it all. Who would have thought Ben Affleck would grow up to do such amazing movies?

As for Les Mis, I would never have thought one could convey such emotion through singing, but Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway OWN it! I have the soundtrack (just highlights, not the complete thing *grumble grumble*) and you can hear it in every note. Wonderful.

Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Gunflyer

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »
I loved The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises. They were two VERY different movies with very iconic superheroes. The Dark Knight Rises though should have been nominated and won for best film. The underlying themes all have very well-thought out subtexts and the symbolism of Bruce Wayne having to himself climb out of that hole he fell down all those years ago is so clear and fascinating that you can't help but let it mesmerize you. Bane was perfect. He was the best villain for the final Batman film. The Avengers was obviously a lot more upbeat and did the near impossible job of giving everyone a clear, dramatic purpose to fulfill in a movie where six or more main characters are all fighting for screen time. It perfectly got these heroes to work with each other yet not without some trepidation. But the performances were excellent, the chemistry between them was great and the humor complimented the film beautifully. I thought that along with The Dark Knight Rises, no other example more perfectly illustrates the analogy of apples and oranges, for those films are exactly like that. There's no comparing the two because while they are both superhero films, they had very different agendas and set out to do different things that had their own equal merits.

I really liked Dredd, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and Prometheus. Dredd was dark, gritty, intense and exciting. It was what fans of the comic book always wanted in movie form. The Hobbit I actually liked a bit more. I thought it was a bit slower paced and it definitely did not have the epic scale of LOTR, but it was still a very engaging and joyous romp through some of the darker, never seen places in middle Earth. Prometheus... could have been better had they put a few scenes back in. Nevertheless, I still liked it for its powerful themes and an atmosphere that reminded me of 2001 in some respects.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »
Not in any order:

Cloud Atlas
Argo
Moonrise Kingdom
The Cabin in the Woods
The Avengers
John Carter
21 Jump Street
Skyfall
Looper
Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained

Still want to see The Master, Amor, Silver Linings Playbook, or Life of Pi

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 294
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
Well, I only watched a couple of movies released this year, but I am somewhat dismayed that few love The Master as much I do. Would be a top five best film in any year for me.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »

Cabin in the Woods
Safety Not Guaranteed

So great.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Swiffer

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 3
  • Stompin' to my beat
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
My favorite movie of the past few years is Beasts of the Southern Wild. It's something that's really worth seeing on as big a screen as possible, as the environment sucks you in. And following that girl around -- she was amazing. Great story, great everything. Very moving.

Another really cool flick that I think this forum would like is Sound of My Voice. It's about these two documentary filmmakers that are trying to expose a cult. However, the more time that these people spend inside the cult, the more wrapped up in it they become... it's a very cool flick, it's by the same team of peeps behind Another World (Brit Marling is awesome)... not violent, just a really cool, inventive thriller.

Cabin in the Woods and Life of Pi were also awesome

MightyJack

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 10:17:33 PM »
I usually wait a year before I do a top 20 Blog post on this subject. Allows me time to see the foreign and independent films. I haven't caught many of the biggies. In my Library que I have the Master, Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, Lincoln, Life of Pi... to name a few. So this list isn't anywhere near comprehensive and will likely change before the end of the year. But here's my formative work on what I have so far.

1. Ruby Sparks
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Moonrise Kingdom

3. Searching For Sugar Man

4. The Cabin in the Woods

5. The Avengers

6. The Dark Knight Rises

7. Looper