Poll

How did our rag-tag group of heroes do against the Avengers?

2 (7.7%)
7 (26.9%)
5 (19.2%)
3 (11.5%)
6 (23.1%)
0 (0%)
3 (11.5%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Rate the Vengeance!  (Read 3836 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 278
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
Rate the Vengeance!
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »
We really enjoyed it!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
Re: Rate the Vengeance!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
Six, it was okay.  I generally just find it fun to watch a movie "with" these guys but it's obviously a lot more fun when it's a bad movie. It's hard to find a lot of good humor in a good movie.  I mean, let's face facts. when you're riffing on RDJ's quipping and being himself (which made the movie) you're looking for things to riff on.   It was fun and I enjoyed it, but riffing bad movies brings a lot more enjoyment.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
I'll give it a nine, nothing sidesplitting but a lot of really good laughs, and some nice old references that I got.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 05:23:52 AM »
For me it was a 10 but that's probably because its been months since their last feature riff so I was starved. That's not to take away from it though, it was very good. I especially loved the Game of Thrones references.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
It's hard to rate. There were some very good stretches, but then there were points that the movie outshone them in humor. Pointing it out during the three way Avenger fight was a good tactic, but it could only work once.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline arutha1000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »
Got to watch it a 2nd time to really rate it. I really don't like dick jokes unless they are really funny (these weren't) and I felt there were a lot around the first half of the film, and then the first 1/3 didn't make me even crack a smile. The last half was pretty good, but not great.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »
Six.  Where Hunger Games felt like the long break of feature films had brought back a riff with more new and fresh jokes, this felt like a rehash of all the other marvel riffs put together.  Still amusing, but I was hoping for newer material.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:56:19 PM »
Well, not too bad. Slow to start but some dead on riffs especially in the middle part. Pretty solid riff for such a long and turgid movie.

And I appreciated the geeky Ant Man and Moon Knight reference. I'd forgotten Moon Knight existed.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
Well, not too bad. Slow to start but some dead on riffs especially in the middle part. Pretty solid riff for such a long and turgid movie.

And I appreciated the geeky Ant Man and Moon Knight reference. I'd forgotten Moon Knight existed.

It is kind of hard to take their claims of not being geeks or understanding comics as truth when they break out Ant Man and Moon Knight jokes.  Sure, those might have been written by another writer, but still.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 02:06:12 PM »

It is kind of hard to take their claims of not being geeks or understanding comics as truth when they break out Ant Man and Moon Knight jokes.  Sure, those might have been written by another writer, but still.

Based at their level of reference I put their knowledge of comics at about mine. I read and collected them until about eighteen and then moved on and have forgotten a lot (who was that dude in the set up the sequel credits scene--King Krull?)  I do remember the Vision and the Scarlet Witch being the stars of the Avengers though, and the Hulk was in the Defenders not the Avengers. I think.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:07:47 PM by losingmydignity »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:56:15 PM »
Watching it a second time now. About 3/4 through it and really surprised how unimpressive it is. A few good jokes here and there, but otherwise meh.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
Watching it a second time now. About 3/4 through it and really surprised how unimpressive it is. A few good jokes here and there, but otherwise meh.

Exactly how I felt. I went back and watched the Hunger Games, RotPotA and Transformers 3 riffs after this. They were all much better than this. I was really looking forward to another old style Rifftrax, but this disappointed. 6/10 from me.

As for the recent trend of VoD titles, I haven't much cared for most of them (though Ghosthouse is still a favorite). I was looking forward to another MP3 release, but this wasn't what I hoped for. They seem to be best when they riff stuff they're really familiar with. Which is probably why the Star Wars OT riffs are among my favorites.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »
I gave it an 8. I enjoyed it, but god... I don't want to watch any more superhero comic book riffs for a long long time.

Also, the "this actress must be somebody important's daughter" chick... I'm fairly certain that was Ashley Johnson, wasn't it??
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline angry-albino

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »

My son and I actually turned it off.  We have never turned off a riff before.  Just not up to par.  So we went back and watched Breaking Dawn part 1 to get the taste out of our mouth, and be reminded of Rifftrax at their best.