Author Topic: What did we learn about superhero anthology franchises this time?  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
I learned that Robert Downey, Jr.'s lines are 90% quips.

I learned that even though Thor seemed to be able to hold the portal pretty good with Mjolnir and the lightning he decided to just do it once and then give up.

I learned that Hawkeye gets no respect, no respect at all.

I learned that a hot woman with two pistols is an even match for aliens without advanced weaponry.  And for that I am grateful.

I learned that a flying aircraft carrier need not make any sense.

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
Re: What did we learn about superhero anthology franchises this time?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:15:11 AM »
I learned that Tony Stark is a wise ass .   I only read a few Iron Man comics in the '60's and don''t recall him sounding like Spider-man so much.  Can any of the geeks on this forum tell me if Stark was always this way?
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:54:41 PM »
Not really. He's an arrogant, self-centered, rich jerk but not quite as "quippy" as RDJ plays him. (Not even in the Ultimates universe where the MCU heavily draws from.)  RDJ inserted a lot of himself into it and the snarky/sarcastic way of talking is also just part of Joss Whedon's style.  I really don't mind much at all, but the riffing on it the guys did was hilarious.

Mike: "Bill, you have to BETTER at quipping than Robert Downey, Jr!"

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »
I learned that a super advanced flying aircraft carrier/fortress will have no means of detecting unknown and possible hostile aircraft directly behind it.

I learned that, if invaded by a strange otherworldly army, the U.S military will not even attempt to fight them with our big standing army and cache of the most advanced conventional weapons in the entire world, and will instead jump immediately to nuking our own biggest city.  The fact that this is a major hub of business, art, public policy, and basically the lynchpin of our entire economy is a trivial concern.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:44:40 PM »
I learned that, if invaded by a strange otherworldly army, the U.S military will not even attempt to fight them with our big standing army and cache of the most advanced conventional weapons in the entire world, and will instead jump immediately to nuking our own biggest city.  The fact that this is a major hub of business, art, public policy, and basically the lynchpin of our entire economy is a trivial concern.

Really, there's only a dozen or so bases loaded with fighter jets within a 15 minutes flying distance, but the only jet that gets sent our is the one with the nuke.  It's not like those aliens were all that powerful, our heroes were taking them out pretty easily.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:24:18 PM »

Really, there's only a dozen or so bases loaded with fighter jets within a 15 minutes flying distance, but the only jet that gets sent our is the one with the nuke.  It's not like those aliens were all that powerful, our heroes were taking them out pretty easily.
Hawkeye blew up Loki's flying jet-ski with one exploding arrow.  I wonder if the U.S. military has anything capable of firing exploding projectiles of fairly small yield.

Romanoff had nothing but gymnastics and a couple of pistols, and she held her own.  The armed forces, with their tanks, bombs, automatic weapons and such couldn't do anything?

Offline arutha1000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
I learned that the aliens can shoot you and it just kind of knocks the wind out of you a bit. I mean, that's what happened to Capt. America when he got shot at close range. Even if he has kevlar, it's more evidence that these guys weren't that much of a threat.

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 09:41:23 AM »
I learned this movie has a Council of  Elrond moment where they were arguing over the way to deal with the ring and the superheroes were arguing over the power of the tesseract and/or scepter.  Oh yeah.  So Chris Evans was Johnny Storm?  Good actor.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:56:10 AM by Lemming Howard »

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:21:11 AM »
Bill thinks an aircraft carrier is a battleship.

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 09:08:29 AM »
Nobody remembers that Albert Einstein was a "smart guy."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Nobody remembers that Albert Einstein was a "smart guy."
I noticed that too when I watched it for the first time. Rogers would have gotten that reference.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »
Only Coulson uses Stephen Hawking as the smart-guy reference in comparison to Banner and Rogers wouldn't know who Hawking is.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »
Only Coulson uses Stephen Hawking as the smart-guy reference in comparison to Banner and Rogers wouldn't know who Hawking is.

The point is he couldn't think of another person to mention so Cap A would understand, so he just said smart person.  I guess they thought "smart person" was more funny than "Einstein", too bad they were wrong, I thought that moment really fell flat, an Einstein joke might have been better.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »

The point is he couldn't think of another person to mention so Cap A would understand, so he just said smart person.  I guess they thought "smart person" was more funny than "Einstein", too bad they were wrong, I thought that moment really fell flat, an Einstein joke might have been better.
Referencing Einstein wouln't have been a joke, though.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »

Referencing Einstein wouln't have been a joke, though.

But making an Einstein joke at that moment might have kept that scene going a little better, maybe it could have been Banner doing it instead of Coulson.