login

Author Topic: Electronic Music  (Read 10586 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: Electronic Music
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2007, 09:41:42 PM »
For 8-Bit music blended in with Progressive Metal, check out Machinae Supremacy. Particularly the Song "Rise"
http://www.myspace.com/machinaesupremacy

Electronic music is something of a mild obsession of mine. Particularly the Industrial Genre, or more particularly, Industrial Rock.
I like my Keyboards, Synths, Samples, and Drum Machines mixed with equal parts Guitars, Bass Guitar, and Live Drums. Wrap it all up with a decent vocalist and Guaranteed you'll get some of my money.

Skinny Puppy
Nine Inch Nails
KMFDM

I could go on all day...

In fact.. a quote to fall in line with the topic at hand..
"Our Music is sampled. It's totally fake. It's done by machines `cause they don't make mistakes."
and the follow-up
"Nothing new, it's the same old s**t. If it works this good why f**k with it?"

So.... Where are all the other Industrial Fans?

I really liked Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth" CD ... never been a fan of their earlier stuff (although "closer" is a kick ass song) ... looking forward to Year Zero (I know, its been out for sometime now, just haven't had the chance to get it yet.
Also, all three Filter albums kick ass.

All that said,  I'm not big into the Industrial Music genera... probably Marylin Manson's fault for making it seem lame (at least when judging it from afar).

Offline CireDark

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »
It's tough to talk about this subject when it comes to Manson.
First off, one has to remember that Manson would not be where he is if It weren't for Trent Reznor.
Then again, you'll have Industrial hardcores argue that Nine Inch Nails doesn't actually qualify as Industrial Music.
Therefor, with that logic, it could easily be said that Marilyn Manson is not an Industrial Band. Manson himself would tell you
that he's a Modern incarnation of "good-old-fashioned Rock-N-Roll" which is almost as difficult to swallow.

Truth be told, I like alot of Manson's work. However, the stuff I like the most is the stuff that Reznor produced for him.
Mechanical Animals had a decent song or two, but was a horrible follow-up to Antichrist Superstar. Golden Age of Grotesque was actually pretty damn good, but his newest one "Eat Me Drink Me" was just crap. More like "Suck Me Blow Me"

Offline googergieger

• Magneto-cent Member
  • The Impact Kid
    • myspace
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2007, 12:50:43 PM »
is their a smiley that shows one would rather be hit in the testicles than read this thread again?

anyways i like it all electronic really. but genre name wise some names and fans are plan asstarded and huge douchetards.

just as far as the whole "elitist" brand they give themselves quick.

though majority seem to have never even heard of fucking mint royale. who not only a uk act but a big name as far as the whole remix, and fatboy slim, gorrilaz, chemical bros thing goes.
Stand by for action!

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »
Marilyn Manson's 2 best albums were/are Antichrist (produced by Trent Reznor) and Golden Age (produced by Tim Skold of KMFDM).
From this I can conclude that in order to be good, he needs help from someone in the "industrial" business.

I haven't heard Eat Me yet, but seeing as it's also produced by Tim Skold I'm surprised to hear that not many people like it.

And NIN's Year Zero is a great concept album, if you skip Survivalism.
Worst track on the album, and most idiotic choice for a single ever.
Other than that, it's epic.

Offline CireDark

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2007, 01:22:23 PM »
Marilyn Manson's 2 best albums were/are Antichrist (produced by Trent Reznor) and Golden Age (produced by Tim Skold of KMFDM).
From this I can conclude that in order to be good, he needs help from someone in the "industrial" business.

I haven't heard Eat Me yet, but seeing as it's also produced by Tim Skold I'm surprised to hear that not many people like it.

Your observation is correct, but apparently Skold has been spending too much time around Manson, or was pushed into the background for this particular album. "Eat Me Drink Me" has an air about it that suggests that Manson is trying to regain or re-establish his "Goth Credibility" as opposed to his "Industrial Cred". "Heart Shaped Glasses" sounds more Cure-like than NiN/KMFDM-like. "If I were your Vampire" sounds very Type-O Negative. Also, Manson has more or less admited that this album was based on his recent Split up from Dita Von Teese and his recent hook-up to his new Girlfriend. IMHO, anytime a Rock Musician writes songs about girlfriends, they're doomed to flop. This album is no exception.

Offline Skiptastic

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Riffer Madness
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »
If you want to hear an experience that changed the lives of all those who bore witness, but Daft Punk's Alive 2007 when it comes out in November.

If you want to kick it awesome style right now, Buy Justice's Cross. (This CD is easy to find, it's a black CD with a giant cross on it.)

Offline Zylot

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2007, 04:23:03 PM »
I'm big in unusual musics, though I'll always enjoy instrumental stuff more then electronic (think: Miasma and the Carousel of Healdless Horses, Kansas, Secret Chiefs 3, Godspeed you Black Emporer!) I can drop a few names and ideas:

The spooky, darker stuff for halloween:
--> Raison De Etre - Extremely creepy, darkwave ambience..  best I've ever heard.  Perfect for a late night drive through a cemetery
--> Scorn - Dark, drifting, ambience with eeries vocals and drifting soundscapes.
--> Sephiroth - Evil ambience mixed with violent percussions
--> Atrium Carcieri - Industrial Dark Ambience, creepy, and unsettling
--> Letum - Quieter ambient music with hints of darkness pulling through.  Not overtly evil.

Plain old Ambience:
--> Numina - Standard issue ambience, sweeping soundscapes and haunting melodies
--> Biosphere - More classics, with more of a nature feel
--> Tangerine Dream - old school ambience
--> Aphex Twin - when not slamming on the keyboard, he can throw out some soothing tunes

Experimental, stuff that won't fit, or is just weird:
--> Lemon Jelly - A mix of instrumental and ambient techno, in that Friskies Commercial
--> Secede - A mix of IDM and Ambience but a bit more melodic.
--> Nurse with Wounds - Crazy stuff, well known and interesting music
--> Coil - Creepy but not quite dark ambient, often with singing, sometimes comical, sometimes industrial, always interesting
--> Aphex Twin - when not making ambient music, he can slam the keyboard like no other

Dance, stuff to move with:
--> Juno Reactor - Need not explain further, the best of the best
--> Orbital - From quieter beautiful works to crazy beat driven stuff.  They've touched in alot of Genre's
--> M.O.V.E. - J-Rock with techno elements, a must listen, very energetic
--> The Orb - Similiar to orbital, but somewhat more comical and less form-fitting.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2008, 06:21:13 AM »
Is this the thread where we describe the British dance culture, and guess who 'Pete Tong' is?  >:D

Offline Baron Samedi

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2008, 02:51:44 PM »

--> The Orb - Similiar to orbital...

Well, the name is similar.  I can't think of much beyond that.

Offline YoumeMeyou

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • www.willchristopherbaer.com
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »
I dig bands like VNV Nation, Skinny Puppy, Funker Vogt and other such industrial bands...in terms of strictly electronic though, I would have to say Icarus and Venetian Snares are my favorites...
Gott hat sich erschossen
ein Dachgeschoss wird ausgebaut.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »

--> The Orb - Similiar to orbital...

Well, the name is similar.  I can't think of much beyond that.

Thank you. I nearly had an aneurysm reading that. Orbital are awesome with nary a misstep to their oeuvre and The Orb range from boring to bad.

Nothing in the modern electronic genre even touches Squarepusher, though. He can do ambient, he can do weird, he can do simplistic and he can do hideously complex. Just about the only act I discovered in the 90s that really made me see music in a brand new light.

And Industrial ain't Electronic. I sort most of that stuff under Rock in my MP3 library. Or Humor - Die Form just crack me up because they try so-so-so hard to be tough and "dangerous".
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »

And Industrial ain't Electronic. I sort most of that stuff under Rock in my MP3 library.

Opinions vary. Personally I would consider the latest NIN album that I purchased electronic, whereas the last NIN album was rock. Speaking of the latest NIN album (Year Zero)... complete disappointment, can't believe I wasted 15 bucks on that.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2008, 03:42:14 AM »
Is this the thread where we describe the British dance culture, and guess who 'Pete Tong' is?

Offline kr00t0n

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Because everybody loves a surprise
    • www.kr00t0n.com for mixes, videos and pictures
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 05:01:11 AM »
10 years of clubbing, 8 years of mixing.

Prog/Trance/Hard House/Hard Trance/Psy Trance/Breakbeat/Funky House, pretty much every genre apart from DnB/Hardcore/Techno :)

http://www.mixdepot.net/kr00t0n
http://www.kr00t0n.com/Mixes/Index.html

Absolutely LOVE me dance music :D

Offline Doktor Sleepless

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2008, 02:30:40 AM »
I'm still a fan of the Dj Kicks series. Pretty much every artist that has done that. Tiga is cool. Cut Copy is catchy. Daft Punk put out the only live album I have ever liked a year or so ago back. Them and Ladytron I think would be the most famous bands I listen to dance/electro wise. Is Mint Royale famous in anywhere besides England? If so, then Daft Punk, Ladytron, and they, would be the most known bands I listen to this genre wise.
Round about now! Since they say! I am the sexiest man in Jamaica!