login

Author Topic: Gravity Falls  (Read 22419 times)

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
Re: Gravity Falls
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »
Alex Hirsch did an AMA and addressed, among many other things, the DVD issue.

Quote from: Alex Hirsch
I sent like an 8 page letter to the folks in charge of merchandise basically BEGGING them to do a full season blue-ray with commentary and the works. (Because that's what I would want if I was a customer)
Their response was: Too pricey. A 20 episode set with features is at least 5 times more expensive to produce than a 6 episode set, therefore it needs to sell 5 times as many units or they'll never make a profit. With the DVD market in a lag its hard for them to convince Mickey to shell out the dough for this experiment.
I'll continue to campaign for it, but truthfully there are only a few things that can increase the likelihood of a full season set
1) How well the first DVD sells. If it does well, they see theres an audience
2)How many people go to the Disney store and physically ask for Gravity Falls DVDs. Believe it or not, they keep track of every time someone does this. If enough people do it it makes it into their business reports and they respond with merch. It sounds crazy but it actually works.
3) How popular the show is (ratings)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
That's pretty interesting about the in-store thing.

Can't get it to embed, but this cracks me up whenever I see it.
https://vine.co/v/hz1H9ujP509

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8F57x1d6VQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D8F57x1d6VQ</a>
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 09:24:29 AM »
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »
YAY now when's Season One coming to Netflix, huh?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 05:23:21 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xJTHLHCiTtE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xJTHLHCiTtE</a>
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
Can't wait!

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
The internet is good for lots of things... For the last three months, I've just had my DVR record every showing of Gravity Falls on any channel it appears... figuring I was bound to catch the new season in that net... When 30 seconds of actual googling would have been a better solution.

[can'tbraintodayIhavethedumb.jpg]

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
Gravity Falls stuff coming to Disney Infinity! (They had power discs at Comic Con & a play set coming down the road)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »
I went to the panel for this at Comic Con on Friday. This article gives a better wrap-up than I ever could, but in short: things look great. The teaser they showed for the second season was jam packed full of really cool looking story snippets, and I get the feeling they're going to double-down on the mythology in the second season (especially in regards to Bill).

Side anecdote: on the plane ride back home, the fellow sitting next to me overheard me talking about the panel. He turned out to be an old friend of Alex Hirsch, and texted him with my comments that the show is great. Hirsch then responded with a Thank You. Which was nice of him. Said plane fellow than told me, in what will be as close to insider information as I'll ever get, that Hirsch might actually be done with the show after season 2, since he's really tired of having to deal with Disney and the limitations that brings (he wants to move into more adult oriented cartoons, at least so he can stop censoring half the jokes he comes up with).

Take all that with a grain of salt, of course, since I could've just been seated next to some nutcase. Who can say.

Whatever the case, I am super excited about the start of season 2. A friend of mine is interested in the show, and I'm going to binge watch the first season with him this weekend to get him up to speed. Here's hoping I can make him a believer.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 01:23:17 PM »
I had actually heard similar comments about him not liking being censored by Disney and giving a few examples of stupid things that weren't really offensive that they cut on some podcast he was on (or an interview somewhere... I forget). 

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
I do know he doesn't like how Disney is handling the home release aspect of the show. He's been begging for a full season Blu-ray release, but Disney keeps waffling back and forth. And then there's the whole madness that was the show's release schedule (they went two straight Comic Cons with the first season still not totally aired). Hopefully Season 2 at least has some consistency there.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
He might actually do his own commentary tracks that you can download if they never get the full season treatment.  Those could be really interesting.