login

Author Topic: LoC 65: Top 50 Urban Legends  (Read 30928 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: LoC 65: Top 50 Urban Legends
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:07 AM »
Oh yeah the who seance design sessions was what made me interested in it when I first heard of it when I was little (I've always loved the spooky). :)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »
Shorter list today, since I need to get ready to see rod give 50% discounts.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 12:23:33 PM »
# 41: Toilet Intruders

22 Points (On 1 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#4 by Merry Wanna )

The Story:
Hey, I need to hit the head. Got any hairspray?

No, my hair's fine. Business up front and party in the back, you know. I just need it in case something decides to visit. see, my cousin knows a plumber, and he says that animals just love to hide in sewer lines, Rats, snakes, spiders. Heck, he even found a bass one time that had swam up and decided to stay in the bowl.

Now, I don't really relish having a snake decide to take a liking to, er, my snake while I do my business. So I thought that I'd just do a quick blast of flame to the bowl before I start.

No, I'm not going to set your place on fire again. What are the odds of that happening a third time?

Well, Is It True?
Well, actually yeah.

Every year the folks at Roto Rooter take a survey about things found while their people clean out sewer lines. Now, the most common obstruction are tree roots (You thought it's be something more scatological, didn't you?)  but they've also found rats, snakes, the above mentioned bass, possums, skunks and even a pig. (Somehow).

Still skeptical? Here's a CBS New York story about a 3 foot long kingsnake showing up in a toilet earlier this year. And there are recent stories of similar encounters from Poland, Taiwan, the UK, Germany, Australia and more.

So, it's not likely but it does happen.

Random Notes
A version of this also shows up in the movie Slither. It doesn't end well.

Up Next
John Goodman though? He makes it work.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »
# 40: Dressed to Fill

Highest Vote: (#4 by Tripe )

The Story:
Ms. Barr? At Tuesday's third party Presidential debate, when asked about your future energy policy, your response was, quote, "Oh my god. I am the sexiest person who ever lived." Do you really think that's a sustainable policy for the United States?

Yes, that's a very stylish dress you're wearing, but I'm not sure how that ties into energy policy.
Yes, I understand that you're a size 16 and so was Marilyn Monroe, but how does that translate to sustain...

Okay, please put that back on. No, I really didn't need to see those. No, no. I'm quite happily married. Yes, Mrs. Sheehan. I understand that she's under a lot of stress right now. Thank you for your time.

Ugh. Still better than being stuck on the bus with Biden.

Well, Is It True?
No.

There's been a number of people who have claimed this in recent years, mostly people suggesting that they're in better shape than Monroe (see Elizabeth Hurley) or suggesting that they're as attractive as Monroe (the above mentioned Roseanne Barr). But it's not true.

Firstly, dresses are smaller today. A size 10 dress today is smaller than a 1960s size 10. So you can't directly compare sizes. Secondly, Ms. Monroe, even in the above  picture is a size 10 or maybe a twelve, and that was her at her heaviest. Here's a size 16 today:

Finally, some of Monroe's clothes do still exist. Her dress from "The Seven year Itch" for example, is too small for a modern size 2 mannequin. So, yeah. She wasn't considered chunky.

Random Notes
For the curious, Monroe's measurements, courtesy of her dressmaker:
Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds (Hollywood studios listed her between 115-120 lbs.)
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D

Up Next
Schoolhouse Rock just thinks it refers to Gazelles and Rhinoceroses.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
# 39: Number 4- The Number of Death!

Highest Vote: (#4 by Johnny Unusual )

The Story:
Man, I can't believe Steve's getting married. Did you buy him a gift yet? I bought them a Starbucks gift card. Everyone loves coffee, right? What are you getting them?

Plates? Yeah, I guess that's okay. Wait a sec. You're getting him a set of four plates? Dude. You can't do that. He's Japanese. Four's an unlucky number for them. See, four's pronounced "shi" and that's the same sound as the word for death. And that spooks the hell out of them. You go to a hospital and you can't find rooms numbered with a 4 in them. One of their airlines doesn't even have any seats numbered with fours. You better break one of those plates so that you don't screw up the wedding.

Yeah, I know Steve was born in Pittsburgh. So? Yeah, Shelia's Jewish. What's your point? Hey! Come back here! I'm trying to save their marriage, you jerk!

Well, Is It True?
Apparently so. Just like some American buildings don't have a 13th floor, there are Japanese buildings that avoid using 4. Or nine, which apparently sounds like "torture" in Japanese. And 13, since they borrowed that one from the west. And 43 is apparently extra specially bad, especially when it comes to newborns as it means "born dead."

So, yeah. Some folks are superstitious. still, Police Academy 4: Mission to Moscow was the worst of the series. Hmmm. Maybe there's some truth there...

Random Notes
Nippon Airlines apparently doesn't use 4, 9 or 13 in their seating.

Up Next
Curiously, not as many people looking for him when he was still around.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
# 38: Jimmy Hoffa Is Here

Highest Vote: (#4 by BBQ Platypus )

The Story:
Dude, I can't believe the Giants are doing well this year, what with the curse and all.

Babe Ruth? Well, I suppose he might have cursed them too. He did play for the other New York team after all, but no. I meant the other curse. Hoffa's curse.

See, Hoffa ran the Teamsters for a while before getting sent to jail and then getting pardoned by Nixon after fours years in the slammer. But after he got out of jail, some of the Teamsters' pension funds went missing. Well, that was the last straw and some of his mob buddies asked to see him. After that, no one ever saw him again.

But everyone knows where he is. Right there in the end zone of Giant's Stadium. His mob buddies planted him in the site of the stadium and then built the thing over him. So whenever the Giants are playing bad, its because Hoffa's angry spirit is messing with them from beyond the grave.

Maybe he's buried under Wrigley instead? No, the Cubs just suck.

Well, Is It True?
No.

While Hoffa did disappear, and while Donald Frankos (a former mob enforcer) made a very specific accusation that Hoffa was buried under section 107 in Giants' Stadium, no evidence was ever found there. The Mythbusters crew did a search for his remains in 2004, to no avail. And since the Stadium was demolished in 2010 and no remains showed up, well, he's probably not buried there.

Other places where Hoffa is rumored to be buried: Under a driveway in Michigan. Underneath a shed. The Everglades (with the giant snakes). A Jersey landfill. Tossed into a shredder. Under a parking lot. And also as part of pretty much everything built in New York from 1975-79.

Random Notes
Where is Hoffa? Hanging out with Judge Crater. Duh.

Up Next
Actually Dexter created this, but Dee-Dee let it loose.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
# 37: La Chupacabra

22 Points (On 3  of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#16 by Pak-Man )

The Story:
Dude, you wanna hand me that hairspray?

No, I'm not going to set the place on fire. What are the odds that would happen a fourth time? I'm just heading outside for a sec.

No, not to do that. It's just for protection. You know. In case the Chupacabra attacks.

What's a chupacabra? It's the Mexican goat sucker! A fearsome creature that finds goats (and other mammals, such as seals) and sucks out their blood. No, not like a mosquito. All of their blood. Sucks them dry man. They first showed up in Puerto Rico, but they've spread all over the world since then. There's been reports of them in Maine and even Russia now. Me? I think they're attracted to Taco Bells. That's why I only eat at Del Taco.

No, that wasn't because of the chalupa incident. Just hand me the hairspray.

Well, Is It True?
Eh, probably not.

While a number of creatures have been found sans blood in Puerto Rico and the American Southwest, it's likely not the fault of any specific creature. There are plenty of existing creatures that are happy to drain blood from a corpse. (And most victims of the chupacabra aren't totally drained of blood.) Additionally, when a corpse or DNA on a victim is found, the critter is quite often a hybrid of an existing animal. Coyote half-breeds tend to be fairly commonly found in these incidents over the past few years.

Additionally, the original eyewitness back in 1995 described a creature that looked roughly like this:

Well, that's Sil from the movie Species, which the eyewitness had seen prior to the chupacabra sighting. That suggests that the eyewitness might have been a little spooked.

Besides, everyone knows that the blood drained creatures int eh southwest are due to alien experimentation, not chupacabras.

Random Notes

John Rhys-Davies starred in the film Chupacabra: Dark Seas. Of course it was a SyFy Channel Original Movie.

Up Next
It's a small town in Greece. Why do you ask?

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3693
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »

Random Notes

John Rhys-Davies starred in the film Chupacabra: Dark Seas. Of course it was a SyFy Channel Original Movie.

Ooh. I'll have to see that. For some reason I'll watch the schlokiest stuff when John Rhys-Davies is involved. It's not that he's my favorite actor. He's just a lot of fun in a bad movie somehow. :^)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5867
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 01:50:08 PM »
# 39: Number 4- The Number of Death!

Highest Vote: (#4 by Johnny Unusual )

I'll be honest, it only made it to #4 because it is the number 4.  Still, I find it pretty interesting.

# 37: La Chupacabra

22 Points (On 3  of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#16 by Pak-Man )

I believe I put El Chupacabra.  I hope that my vote was still counted.  Of course, I was probably thinking of this guy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/76R2xInw2H8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/76R2xInw2H8</a>

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 915
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »
ARRG! So many things I didn't think of, but should have.

I knew about the Jimmy Hoffa being buried at the Giants Stadium thing, and El Chubacabra. And the Dressed to Fill thing reminded me of another one I should have thought of: the myth that the woman in Goldfinger painted in gold, died as a result.

Japanese actually has two different ways to count from one to ten. One native to them, the other derived from Chinese. Oddly enough, they use the Chinese versions in most cases, with the exception of the number four. Because the Chinese derivation of four is Shi, which is Japanese for death (actually it's the root for the verb that means "to die", Shinu. If you want to be really specific.) So they usually use Yon instead, which is their native word for four.

There are actually many arcade games that were produced in Japan that won't allow you to enter SHI as your high score initials because of this. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6254
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »
Okay, two things: 1) Mission to Moscow was Police Academy 7, and 2) Wow, I can't believe Mythbusters has been on that long.

Oh, and I have to go to the bathroom, but now I don't dare.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 06:27:20 PM »
Okay, two things: 1) Mission to Moscow was Police Academy 7,

Whoops. My bad. I thought is preceded the "Citizens" films and just checked to see what five was.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »

#36: Hotel California

23 Points (On 1 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#3 by Compound )

The Story:
Dude, turn that off.

No, I like classic rock, but not that song.

Yeah, I know it's The Eagles, but see, that song? It's evil.

See, back in the late 60s and 70s, there were a bunch of Satanists running around California. They bought this deconsecrated church and turner it into a hotel, and called it the "Hotel California." They even incorporated themselves under that name, to keep themselves  underneath the public's radar. Well, the Eagles got all tangled up with the Satanists and especially Anton LaVey, the founder of the Church of Satan. And the song's all about Satan. "And I called up the Captain, said 'Please bring me my wine.' He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.'" Wine's the blood of Christ. And in 1969, LaVey founded his Church and Time magazine declared that God was dead. And if you play the song backwards, you can hear clear as day "My sweet satan."

You ever see the album cover? The photo was taken at LaVey's house. And he's in the background of the picture, watching over everyone there.

Plus, there's a shot on the album cover of a man standing in a doorway. The thing is, when they took the shot, there was no one there. And when they developed the shot, no one was there. He only showed up after the album cover was pressed.

Oh, geez. Turn it off.

No, there's nothing Satanic about it. I just can't stand "Call Me Maybe." Gah.

Well, Is It True?
Well, no.

It's possible that the Eagles were involved with Satanism. There's certainly evidence that Don Henley sold his soul at some time  or another. But most of the legends about the song are just false.

Meaning-wise, the Eagles claim that the song is about hedonism and self-destruction  and the dark underbelly of the American dream. It's certainly something they had familiarity with.

There was a "Hotel California" in existence when the song was written, but none of the Eagles seem to be aware of it, nor have visited there. (There have been a number of them opened after the song was written though.)

As for the Anton LaVey rumors- Well, the photo was taken at the Beverly Hills Hotel, which isn't a satanic hotspot. And the person rumored to be LaVey on the balcony? Well, Blender magazine took a look at the images from that photo shoot a few years back, and the person in the shadows moves out of them at various points. It's a her. She's black, and according to some folks at the shoot, she was pretty damn drunk and/or high and just wandered away from the shoot and headed upstairs. Plus she has hair, which LaVey doesn't.

If you think the song about drugs though, well, it kinda is. "Colitas" was what the band thought marijuana was called in Spanish. It wasn't.

Random Notes
Fun fact- the reference about "steely knives" was, according to Glenn Frey, a nod towards Steely Dan, who referred to the Eagles in one of their songs. Granted, this was years later, so Frey may have just decided that the rumor was cooler than the actual story behind the lyrics and just ran with it.

Another fun fact- Wine? Not a spirit. If you point that out to Don Henley, he'll get rather snarky. "Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention—and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes."

Up Next
They're not going to show that, are they?

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 127
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 06:53:06 PM »
If you think the song about drugs though, well, it kinda is. "Colitas" was what the band thought marijuana was called in Spanish. It wasn't.

Well, half wrong. The word "colas", Spanish slang for "tail", has long been used to describe the part of the marijuana plant that interests we heads the most: its buds.  "Colitas" are just "little buds".  The error in the song is that you would be less likely to smell "colitas" than you would to smell "colas"...since "little buds" aren't developed enough for harvest yet, usually.

The Eagles were going for a desert-y, decadent motif--but they couldn't make direct drug references if they wanted radio airplay, and saying "colas" would be confusing, as people would think it was referring to the soft drink. 
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 07:27:32 PM »
Well, actually that in itself is an urban legend.

See, during the 70s there was a fireworks factory near the studio that the Eagles used and it unfortunately blew up during the middle of one of the recording sessions. Thankfully, only one person was killed, a recent immigrant from Colitas, Greece, but he was standing almost on top of the explosion. Well, the Eagles left the session and rushed outside and started asking the panicked employees what they saw. Most didn't know, but finally Glenn Frey found an eyewitness and he described the scene as seeing "Vern Snell of Colitas, rising up through the air!"

And if I was unclear, here's an email from the Eagles' lawyer to Cecil Adams:
This E-mail just in from Eagles management honcho Irving Azoff: "In response to your [recent] memo, in 1976, during the writing of the song 'Hotel California' by Messrs. Henley and Frey, the word `colitas' was translated for them by their Mexican-American road manager as 'little buds.' You have obviously already done the necessary extrapolation. Thank you for your inquiry."