Author Topic: LoC 65: Top 50 Urban Legends  (Read 32245 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 65: Top 50 Urban Legends
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2012, 07:12:53 PM »
Back shortly. Need to finish the last couple of entries.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
Ah the brown recluse, unlikely to kill you, but you might wish you were dead, and you might regret looking at that pic so, be warned.

If they bite livestock though, the animal does tend to end up being put to sleep.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
# 15: Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn on the Light?

35 Points (On 3 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#11 by Compound and Smoky )

The Story:
So, there were these two girls who went to my college a few years before I got there. Jen and Cindy. Room mates. Well, this one  night, there was a big party at the dorm, but Jen needed to study so she headed over to the library to study. While there, a friend of us invited her over to her room so that they could keep studying after the library closed. Well, it was late so when she got back to her room, Jen left the lights off so that she wouldn't disturb Cindy, and just grabbed her books off her desk and then left.

The next morning when Jen got back to her dorm room, she opened the door and found Cindy torn to shreds in her bed. And on the wall, written in Cindy's blood was "Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the lights?"

Well, Is It True?
No, this legend dates back to at least 1871, albeit in a slightly different form.

This legend is  also very closely related to another legend (and was counted as the same for vote totals.) That one goes:

There was a young woman who, after hearing of a series of break-ins in the area, bought a big dog and kept it in her bedroom. One night, she was startled awake by sounds of a possible break-in. Fearing the worst, she reached down and the dog liked her hand. Feeling safe, she went back to sleep.

The next morning she entered her bathroom and found the dog, dead and gutted in the tub. On the wall was written "Humans can lick too."

In both cases, the premise is the same- a girl is unaware of a grisly crime being committed in front of her and the killer taunts her after the fact.

Random Notes
The 1871 version of the story:
At a croquet party, one of the guests told of a clergyman who was awoken in the middle of the night by his wife who informed him that "John, I am sure that there's a robber underneath our bed. Do get up and see." the pastor replied "Oh, it's only our Newfoundland dog. I just reached down and it licked me. Now go back to sleep." The next morning all the jewelry and other effects had vanished.

And yes, someone voted for both versions of the tale. I only counted the higher.

Up Next
Snacks!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:22 PM »
# 14: Razor Blade Apples

37 Points (On 2 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#7 by CJones )

The Story:
So, going trick or treating with the kids, huh? Are you going to inspect their candy? No, not incase they get Black Cows. Yeah, those shouldn't be inflicted on anyone. But, you know why.

See, there are folks out there who'll ... do stuff to candy. No, not like a waiter will do something to your sandwich. I mean fatally do something to it. There are a bunch of kids who've gotten a bag full of candy and then gotten home and discovered that someone's put something in it. Sometimes it's a razor blade. Sometimes a straight pin or sewing needle. Always look through their stuff.

Me? Oh, I'm just giving out coupons for free downloads of Plants vs. Zombies. The worst that can happen there is a paper cut.

Well, Is It True?
Sadly, yeah.

For years there were rumors about people poisoning Halloween candy and then later stories about razors and needles in candy. In 1967, 1972 and 1982 studies were done on the subject and no actual examples of the issue were ever found.

But in Chicago in 1982, a number of people died from poisoned Tylenol and that seemed to open the flood gates and the urban legend became real. Roughly 80 examples of things (usually  needles) have been recorded by folklorists since then, although only a dozen actually caused any harm.

Thankfully though, even when a kid eats something with a needle in it, it's never been fatal. The worst case of it required the victim to have a few stitches in the inside of their mouth.

Random Notes
Night of the Demons includes a rather graphic example of this legend, although I'm not sure how well a razor blade would hold up after being cooked into a pie.

Up Next
.txet ni llew sa krow t'nseod sihT

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
# 13: Backmasking

40 Points (On 3 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#2 by Compound )

The Story:
Are you listening to that venomous rock and roll? Need I keep reminding you that it's the tool of the devil?

See, the devil likes to mark his property so that those of his kind can easily find their kin. So those that owe their fame and success to him, well, they do things to show that. And the most common way that they do that is by hiding their tributes to the dark lord in the lyrics. Or more precisely, by having the lyrics show up when you play the music backwards.

Don't believe me?  "Stairway to Heaven" contains the line "My Sweet Satan." "Hotel California?" "Yeah, Satan hears this."  "Another One Bites the Dust"?  "It's Fun to smoke marajuana." And the Beatles? "Revolution Number Nine" clearly says "Turn Me On Dead Man." And other things too, but we'll get back to that.

See, Satan is trying to influence you with these backwards messages. You may not consciously hear the messages, but your subconscious can hear them and its influenced by them. So every time you listen to one of those songs, you're driving yourself deeper and deeper into his clutches.

You thought I'd say "Every time you go away?" Oh, Paul Young's one of the worst of them.

Well, Is It True?

Well, yes and no.

There are messages embedded backwards in some songs, that is indeed true. But for the most part, they're not satanic.

Edison was one of the first people to discover that sounds could be played in reverse. But it wasn't until the 60s that recording artists began to actually experiment with the process. The Beatles, for example, seem to have purposefully inserted some backmasking into their songs, most notably Revolution Number nine and Rain, which contains the line "The sun shines. rain. When the rain comes, they run and hide their heads." (And again in "Free as a Bird" but that was years later.) But most of the above examples of backmasking seem to be completely unintentional and/or people hearing things that just aren't there.

However, since the 1960s, many artists have intentionally done so, especially since the 1980s investigations of "Satanic Baskmasking." For example, Judas Priest stuck the line "In the dead of the night, love bites" into their song "Love Bites." But Rob Halford says that it was just an experimentation in sound. (Plus it's a rather innocuous message.) Other examples include songs from Insane Clown Posse, Linkin Park, Oasis, Pink Floyd, The Rutles, Styx and of course, Weird Al.

Random Notes
One of the most best examples of backmasking comes in this clip from Penn & Teller's Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends. They play the first bit of the sermon forward and then reverse it at the mid point.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnRwMpbubHk?version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hnRwMpbubHk?version=3</a>

Up Next
You can combine the next legend with one from yesterday for real ickiness!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
# 12: Slots of Fun

(Watermark left in totally on purpose.)

42 Points (On 2 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#4 by Sicgirl )

The Story:
Hey, you thirsty? I'mthirsty. Beenthirstyallday. Beendrinkingcoffeesinceaboutfourthirtyin themorning. Nonotdecaf.Whydoyouask? Stoptypinglikethattoohardtoread?

Fine. Okay, you don't do coffee, but you're grabbing a soda? You have exact change, right? No, you don't ever want to get change from a soda machine. You see, some addicts who use needles have started sticking their used needles into the coin return slots on soda machines to get rid of them. You reach in to get your change. Prick. Suddenly you've got hepatitis. Or HIV. Just because you didn't want to grab a coffee. Kinda makes my hyperactivity a bit more tolerable, huh?

Well, Is It True?
No.

There seem to be a rather large number of legends about people being randomly pricked and infected by hypodermic needles, and this is one of the latest.

Now, there have been a few cases of people reaching into a coin return slot and finding a needle, but in practically all cases, it's an unused needle (which aren't dangerous) and they've happened a few days after a warning of these types of incidents. In other words, someone's being a jerk.

In practice, a drug user who uses a needle tends to keep the thing around until they find a newer one rather than just randomly disposing of them. And in any case, HIV has a pretty short life outside of a human body. So the chances of being infected by a random needle are rather slim.

Random Notes
This legend used to be about pay phones but since those are almost extinct these days, an update to the legend was made.

Up Next
A repeat?

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »

# 11: Tressed to Kill

43 Points (On 3 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#9 by Compound )

The Story:
Didn't I already do this one? I could have sworn that I have.
Huh. Glitch in the matrix, I guess.

Anyway, remember the 50s? Back when women used to have enormous beehive hairdos? Well, back then a cousin of my mom's friends wanted to get as big a beehive as possible. So she just kept adding hairspray and hairspray and never ever washed it.

Well, one day she felt a slight prick and then suddenly started bleeding from her scalp. Within a few hours, she was dead. See, at some point her enormous 'do brushed up against a spiderweb and the spider, well, it climbed into her hair and just nested there. when the paramedics tried to help her, they found that the interior of her beehive was swarming with little baby spiders.

So always wash your hair.

Well, Is It True?
Nope.

Never happened.

Random Notes
There's a more modern variant of the legend involving dreadlocks rather than a beehive hairdo. This version tends to place a male in the victim role rather than a female.

Sadly, there is a real life version of this legend from 2000 where a Yemeni bride had a scorpion slipped into her wig by one of her husband's other wives, who was presumably jealous.

Up Next
#10-1! The Home stretch! Animals! Stars! About 4 or 5 legends that you've heard of! And I risk life and limb to disprove a myth! All this and more tomorrow!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2012, 08:11:21 PM »
Of course the best example of Backmasking is in Nature Trail to Hell, by Weird Al. "Satan Eats Cheez Whiz!"
If you play his "I Remember Larry" backwards, there's a hidden message that says, "Gee, you really have a lot of time on your hands."

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »

40 Points (On 3 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#2 by Compound )

Extra points for the Dark Knight Returns.

# 20: Mothman

Well, Is It True?
Probably not.

I don't know, this documentary is very convincing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/64Xb_msonNE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/64Xb_msonNE</a>

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »
Okay, just posting this to mark a time. I'll explain why later.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2012, 03:17:11 PM »
Jeff Dunham told the story of sticking a rubber spider in his mother's beehive in "Minding the Monsters"

So, it can happen, as a joke of course...
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »

# 10: Sewer Gators

49 Points (On 3 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#5 by Pak-Man )

The Story:
I swear, if you don't stop singing that Schnappi song...

Look, I'm not sure why you're glorifying those things anyway. Alligators are evil, evil creatures. Don't let the Wally Gator propaganda fool you. Besides, those things are going to go out and devour us all.

Oh, don' t believe me? Back in the 70s, there was a fad of buying little baby alligators as pets. And that was cool for a while. They were all cute and scaly, but then they grew a little and got teeth and suddenly they weren't as cute anymore. So folks got rid of them, and they did so in the same way as they got rid of goldfish- they flushed them down the toilet.

Unfortunately, Alligators don't have any real problem surviving in water and there's plenty of food in a sewer. so they grew. And grew. And now there are whole colonies of the things living in the sewers. And waiting. Someday they'll get their revenge on the idiots who put them there in the first place.

Well, Is It True?
No.

Firstly, alligators need a temperature of roughly 78-90 Fahrenheit to survive and most areas of the country (especially New York City, where most of the rumors come from) aren't that temperature for enough of the year for a gator to survive.

More importantly, these rumors predate the 70s by a long, long time. The first rash of gator sightings in New York was in the 1930s. And there are similar stories about feral pigs living in the London sewers in the 1850s, which suggest that there's a common fear among city folks that something is living beneath them. I suspect that the Romans had rumors of hippogriffs living in the sewers of Rome back in Caesar's time.

Besides you want definite proof that the gators don't exist? I mean, other than the pesky fact that they've never  found a corpse of one? Consider this- in 100 years of negotiations, no union in new York City has ever asked for extra pay because of the presence of alligators.

Random Notes
In 2060- "Are gorillas living in the sewers of Beijing?"

Up Next
They tried this with pictures of Ernest Borgnine as well, but found no takers.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2012, 03:48:10 PM »
# 9: Blue Star Acid

49 Points (On 2 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#1 by Merry Wanna )

The Story:
Hey, you finished scoping out your kids' candy for razors? Well, here's something else to keep an eye out for. See, drug dealers? They want to addict your kids. Get them when they're young and they'll be yours forever.

What they're doing is simple. They take temporary tattoos, you know, the type kids like to use. Cartoon characters and the like. Maybe butterflies too. Kids like those. They then douse them in LSD and hand them out to kids. the kids put the tattoos on and boom. They start absorbing the drug directly into their skin. Boom. Instant addicts. So keep your kids away from them.

Plus it makes them look kind of trashy too.

Well, Is It True?
No.

Firstly, if you were going to addict someone, you'd probably want to use something a bit more addictive than LSD. Or use candy, since kids tend to like that more. Or target a group with more disposable income than children, since 8 year olds probably  can't really afford drugs even if they do get addicted.

But more importantly, it just never seems to have happened. The first reports of this came during the last 60s, back when LSD was a more popular drug. The problem there was a lack of evidence. While LSD was distributed on blotter acid, very few actually used the cartoon characters described. (The above pic being an exception.) In 1987, for example, in an article about the legend a police investigator noted that roughly 1 example  out of several hundred blotter sheets involved Mickey Mouse. (The legend at the time involved "Mickey Mouse Acid"). And in the late 80s when the rumor resurfaced, police reports at the time show no upswing in LSD related trafficing.  So either the drug dealers are really bad at selling stuff or it never happened.

Random Notes
This isn't just an American legend. There are reports from the UK and Brazil as well dating back to the late 60s as well.

Up Next
You don't hear these rumors about Flock of Seagulls.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:51:03 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »
Grrr. Random computer crash...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
# 8: Paul is Dead

53 Points (On 3 of 9 lists)
Highest Vote: (#1 by Compound)

The Story:
Man, why can't there be more bands like the Beatles?

No, I don't mean there should be more bands that self-destruct at the height of their careers. I mean quality wise. It's a shame that only Ringo's left. He's not really the one to be carrying on their banner, quality-wise.

No, I didn't forget about McCartney. Paul's dead. He was the first one to die.

Look, you ever notice how many Beatles songs revolve around death, and funerals and how references to car crashes keep popping up?  There's a reason.

See, back in 1966, the Beatles were pretty damn big, but they were starting to have problems.. And one night at a recording session, McCartney got fed up and stormed out of the session. He hopped in his car and, well, car crash. Now, when the word got back to the rest of the band, they were concerned that millions of people all across the world would freak out if they discovered that Paul had died, so they hired a Paul McCartney look alike to fill in for him. But John kept leaving little clues that Paul wasn't around.

Look at "A Day in the Life." He blew his mind out in a car. He didn't notice that the light had changed. A crowd of people stood and stared. They'd seen his face before. It's a direct reference to the accident. Look at the cover to Abbey Road. John's dressed in white, symbolizing the priest. Ringo's in black, symbolizing a mourner. Harrison is dressed casually like a grave digger.. And Paul is barefoot, like a corpse on a morgue table. Plus he's out of step with the rest of the band, since he's dead. And at the end of Strawberry Fields Lennon mumbles "I buried Paul."

Still not convinced? The backmasking in Revolution Number Nine. who do you think the dead man is? And the conspiracy continued even after the breakup of the band. One of McCartney's early albums was titled "The Other Me" a reference to the real Paul. Another example- in the 70s, Paul got named in a paternity suit. A DNA test was done and there was no match. But if the Paul in 1966 and the Paul in 1978 weren't the same person then yes, there wouldn't be a match anyway.

And there's another piece to the puzzle. The CIA and FBI never were comfortable with the popularity of the band. There are strong suspicions that they purposefully sabotaged McCartney's car in an effort to destroy the band. But Lennon found out and arranged for the impersonator to spite the CIA, and then kept leaving these clues as a way to stick his thumb in the CIA's collective eye.

Make's you think huh? So next time you hear of old Billy Preston, hoist a drink in memory of the late Paul McCartney.

Well, Is It True?

No. Well, probably not at least.

While practically every song  and images from the Beatles' last few albums allegedly contain a clue relating to Paul's death, the Beatles themselves strongly denied it throughout their lives. Lennon referred to it as "barmy." Paul himself took to Life magazine to deny the rumors in 1969. In later years, members of the band seemed to play along with the references. Paul, for example, named one of his albums "Paul is Alive" and parodied the Abbey road image. And given that "Free as a Bird" had some backmasking on it just so that the folks obsessed with that topic would be happy, it's certainly possible that the Beatles just began to play along with the idea as the rumors spread.

But it's probably not true.

However, I will note a second possible theory. There's a theory that Paul is merely a stand-in. He's the real Paul McCartney, but the references to Paul's death actually refer to a bassist who Lennon knew who died in a car wreck. Since no one would understand reference to his death, Lennon wrote lyrics placing Paul in the place of his dead friend.

Random Notes
There is a modern version of this tale as well. There's allegedly a modern artist  who has been replaced by someone who doesn't quite look like he's the same person or possibly never even existed in the first place. I'd quote more but the site that hosted most of this theory, Gawker, is currently underwater in New York.

That person, BTW? Party fan and brony, Andrew W.K.

Up Next
All I have to say is one word.