Author Topic: Iron Man 3  (Read 9898 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 454
Re: Iron Man 3
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2013, 02:57:54 AM »
Saw this again last night with the parents.  I think I enjoyed it more the second time around, having known the "twist" when it comes to the Mandarin. I think it played better for me this time. However, I can still fully understand why comic fans would be ticked.

So my mother made me think of something that puts an interesting spin on Harley.

What if Harley was Tony's illegitimate kid?

Tony straightened up his life in 2008 with the first "Iron Man" movie and stopped being a playboy.  "Harley" seemed to be at least 8 or 9 years old (or at least certainly not 4 or 5.) Harley says his father is gone and we never meet Harley's mother.  Now, I don't recall if Harley ever indicated how long ago his father left (or if he did, when) if he did know his "father" it is possible it wasn't his birth father and just a man his mother shacked up with.

This possibility puts an interesting spin on the relationship between the two, of course this means at some point Tony had to have hooked up with a mid-western woman well below his social class but considering his love of the sauce that's not too out of possibility.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:05:29 AM by Trekker4747 »

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2013, 04:49:56 AM »
The home address thing seemed like it was Tony strung out and not thinking clearly. Also, how is Tony Stark's home a secret anyway? It's HUGE, and sticks out (literally). Not to mention somebody might notice IRON MAN blasting out from it on a regular basis.

I never thought of his house being secret, I just figured it was him being cocky in a fight. Like him saying "Here, I'll even tie one of my hands behind my back. And I'll let you have the first punch." Basically just mocking Mandarin into attacking even though he thinks he won't.

My nitpick is (are we still spoilering?)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4929
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2013, 04:10:00 AM »
Finally watched it.  It was just... OK.  It felt like a perfectly fun action movie.  If I had any real complaint, it's that the film feels altogether hollow.  It's probably the weakest Marvel film so far (keeping in mind that I didn't see the Incredible Hulk, like everyone else).  I actually liked number 2 for it's weaknesses and I liked this too, but it just didn't do it for me, aside from some clever story turns and cool action scenes.  For me, it feels more like one of the better 90's non-super-hero action movies.

So, I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't quite as fun as the other films.

Still, I'm glad it really felt like a Shane Black joint.  I'm not his biggest fan, but he does interesting stuff and the fact that he made it in his style (action movies with a sense of self-awareness and humour) and it means that Ant-Man will feel like a Edgar Wright movie and that Guardians of the Galaxy will feel like a James Gunn movie, even though they are in the same universe.  It's like how Marvel series in the same universe can feel vastly different depending on the writer and artist team.

Oh, and I love the 80's style TV opening sequence that's really an end credits sequence.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2013, 06:24:07 AM »
Hawkins' body! did a good job directing.  I know I can be the only one that had pop into their head a few times, "Blabbering blatherskites!"

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »
Also liked seeing Death as the President.

That's not Death. That's Colonel Stuart.  And he has two words for you.

Naked Tai-Chi?

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »
was gonna wait for the blu ray then I see Don Cheadle and Guy Pearce are in it.  Sold!  Going tomorrow hopefully

Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »
Saw it again this afternoon. The conspiracy makes slightly more sense the second time around.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2013, 11:25:43 PM »
I was so incredibly happy that I avoided spoilers for this movie and finally saw it early on Tuesday.  When Kingsley came in with the different voice wearing that t-shirt I almost collapsed in silent laughter, the reveal made me so damn happy.  The fact that the trailers basically mislead you completely as to the content of the movie is awesome to me.

We'll see how it stands up to repeat viewings, I've never walked away from the first viewing of an Iron Man movie disapointed, but the more I watch the other two the first one stays solid and the second one loses a bit.  I get the feeling this one will lean more toward the first in quality next time I see it.

And no, Sideswipe, you are not the only one with a little DuckTails on the brain watching the flying armor pieces.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »
You seriously have the weirdest taste in actors.

No she doesn't. Guy Pierce is da bomb diggity and other hyperboles.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »
Possibly he was meaning the liking of both Cheadle and Pierce, I don't know, maybe they have different appeals? Never really thought about it; I still see Pierce as Mike in Neighbours and possibly as a young drag queen.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »
Mr Pierce made a wonderful young drag queen. When I think of him, I think both Leonard from Memento and..um, whatever dude he played in La Confidential (pronounced the French way in my head)  :D
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
Mr Pierce made a wonderful young drag queen. When I think of him, I think both Leonard from Memento and..um, whatever dude he played in La Confidential (pronounced the French way in my head)  :D

Yup, those are the movies I think of him too.........not some of the worst stuff.

Even Bud White agrees.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2013, 12:23:14 AM »
Yes, that was unfortunate, but I forgive him for the mis step.

And Cheadle is a great actor

I worship Downey but those two guys in it just make it even sweeter
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2013, 01:01:52 PM »
Has any movie EVER made a billion dollars? I might be setting myself up to look totally stupid, but I've never heard of a movie making that much.