login

Author Topic: Iron Man 3  (Read 10600 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Iron Man 3
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »
If you'd told me 14 years ago that Eiffel 65's "Blue" would be used in the soundtrack of a top-grossing motion picture in 2013, I'd have laaaaughed. :^)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
If you'd told me 14 years ago that Eiffel 65's "Blue" would be used in the soundtrack of a top-grossing motion picture in 2013, I'd have laaaaughed. :^)

My friends and I started cracking up as soon as the opening beats of that song rang out. Such a huge nostalgia rush (although I'd be lying if I said I don't still listen to that album).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
I realized I'm most interested in seeing this for Ben Kingsley's coar and other sartorial touches.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 07:33:56 PM »
Just saw this. Honestly, I think it's okay, but I don't LOVE it like I did the first and second (not sure why the second get quite as much slack as it does). Mainly, it is WAY too long. And while I liked a lot of the Tony Stark stuff, after so long it felt too much. It's innovative use of the suits was great all around, though.
As for The Mandarin...I don't have an attachment to the character, so that didn't offend me. But the turnaround it just felt unnecessary.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 05:43:16 AM »
Aside from having to look at Mickey Rourke.
That was Ann's main bone of contention, well that and Gwynie (who she loves when it comes to cook books but generally hates in movies).

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
Another think I'm seeing nitpicked is how Tony Stark
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

People are going on about how he wouldn't do something that stupid. Would he do something that STUPID? Maybe not, he's smarter than that. Would he do something that arrogant and impulsive? YES! I think he would.

Also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
I don't really know why the 2nd one is apparently hated either.  Aside from having to look at Mickey Rourke.

The second one gets flack for mis-handling the "Demon in a Bottle" arc from the comics as well as having some clumsy exposition for "The Avengers" in it. (Which was still a few years away when IM2 came out and people were pretty dubious on how it would turn out given that the other characters hadn't been built up yet.)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »
The home adress thing seemed like it was Tony strung out and not thinking clearly. Also, how is Tony Stark's home a secret anyway? It's HUGE, and sticks out (literally). Not to mention somebody might notice IRON MAN blasting out from it on a regular basis.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »
Also, my feelings on Iron Man 2 are that I remember I had a good time when I went to go see it.

And that's about all I remember. I remember nothing of the story, a little of the villain. But not much of anything.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2013, 08:57:08 PM »
I don't really know why the 2nd one is apparently hated either.  Aside from having to look at Mickey Rourke.

The second one gets flack for mis-handling the "Demon in a Bottle" arc from the comics as well as having some clumsy exposition for "The Avengers" in it. (Which was still a few years away when IM2 came out and people were pretty dubious on how it would turn out given that the other characters hadn't been built up yet.)

So basically the way to enjoy a movie adaptation of something is to either hate or have no idea about the source material. Seems to be true for LOTR and the new Star Trek as well.

The two biggest flaws I always see in Iron Man 2 is that a) it was less Iron Man 2 and more The Avengers: Coming Soon (certainly something that Favreau had a problem with) and b) made Tony slide far down the Jerk side of his personality scale. It was a very jumbled movie, and while I did enjoy it while I was watching it, I don't look back on it with anything more than basic indifference (unlike the first one, which I love more than any other Marvel movie, and this third one, which I thought was pretty damn solid). Individual scenes work, the actors generally work (Rockwell especially), but overall the movie just feels off.

The daddy-issues stuff in particular didn't seem to work. Iron Man 3 does the right thing there, what with Tony telling the kid in (roughly) the same spot to suck it up and move on, because there are more important things happening.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2013, 12:27:25 AM »
The terrorist stuff was at least fitting, since it's apparently the modern version of Iron Man's original origin story, when he was a POW in Vietnam instead of Iraq. Just a swap from the Vietcong to insurgents (comic fans, please correct me if I'm wrong here, since I'm just going off of what I've been told).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2639
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »
So basically the way to enjoy a movie adaptation of something is to either hate or have no idea about the source material. Seems to be true for LOTR and the new Star Trek as well.

That is probably true most of the time, but I'd flip it and say if you really enjoy the source material it makes it harder to like an adaptation.  The more you like something the harder it is to accept changes to it, and adapting a book to the screen pretty much always requires some stuff to be changed. 

Star Trek is a strange one, show translated into movies translated back into shows and now back into movies, occasionally finding it's original self here and there but ultimately ending up nothing like the original.

I'd say if the source is a movie or show, it's way harder to accept changes in a reboot.  I detest what has happened to Star Trek but don't feel that strongly about the Dune movies, even the Lynch one.  So maybe it's similar for comics since they are also a visual medium.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »
RVR II will now cry over your DUNE comments...........

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »
I detest what has happened to Star Trek but don't feel that strongly about the Dune movies, even the Lynch one. 
Lynch was, in many areas, visually very good in Dune, Giedi Prime connected thing notwithstanding.

The miniseries does a better job with the storyline.

I love the books but I still see Virginia Madsen as Irulan (though Julie Cox is much sexier).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2639
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »
I love the books but I still see Virginia Madsen as Irulan (though Julie Cox is much sexier).

Ha, last time I read Dune I was picturing everyone from the miniseries except for MacLachlan and Stewart.

Back to Iron Man, someone mentioned the 2nd one being forgettable, I guess that's also the case for me.  I've watched both of them a couple of times but only really remember stuff from the first one.