login

Author Topic: Iron Man 3  (Read 9888 times)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 90
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
Re: Iron Man 3
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 07:59:05 PM »
Yeah, I agree. He did a good job, and that's something that could've gone very, VERY badly.

Like, Jake Lloyd badly. Short Round badly. Some NON-Lucas example I can't think of just now but I'm sure is there badly.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
Also liked seeing Death as the President. 

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
I just witnessed something amazing at free comic book day:

So glad we hit up Newbury Comics before heading to New England Comics. Much friendlier atmosphere for Free Comic Book Day.

Got to NEC at 11:30, line almost out the door, no kids inside, no free comics anywhere that I could see, (couple artists & writers were there which was cool), but man...

But I did hear the following conversation, and I'm not making this up.
"Did you like Iron Man 3?"
"I CRIED DURING THE MOVIE!"
"You did?"
"HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO THE MANDARIN???"
"If you DIDN'T cry about that, you ARE. NOT. a true fan of Iron Man."

After another minute or two of it getting even more insane/intense, I started laughing hysterically and had to leave because the crowd was giving me really dirty looks. I should have yelled "TEAM TREVOR!" as I was going out the door.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
I definitely agree on the kid not ruining the movie.  When he popped on screen at first I thought "oh boy... here we go..." but they did a good job of minimizing the role while keeping it as a semi-important part.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
Also liked seeing Death as the President.

That's not Death. That's Colonel Stuart.  And he has two words for you.

He's Luther Sloan, for Pete's sake.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 454
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 03:19:05 AM »
I saw it last night, I really liked it. My thoughts on it mostly land on "Dear, God, Marvel/Disney give RDJ whatever he wants to keep him as Tony Stark!"

It was better than the second movie, but still not as good as the first one.  Certainly a movie that I think didn't stick with the "the third movie ends/marks the beginning of the end or reboots the franchise" stigma that's common in Superhero movies. (Granting that Superman and the first Batman franchise got to a fourth movie before things were so bad things had to stop.)

Thoughts on some topics being discussed concerning this movie:

The Kid
Kids in movies annoy the heck out of me.  It's one thing if its a movie mostly centered around kids where a degree or to of precociousness is expected it's another when a kid is in a movie basically being an adult. (See: Short Round in Indy.) Kids in movies are also often used as fodder for the villain to cause trouble.  Here? The kid was nicely used mostly thanks to RDJ's interactions and treatment of the kid.

The Mandarin
I'm not a reader of Iron Man, or any Marvel books honestly, but I can certainly see why fans are disappointed here and I sort of agree with them.  This treatment and use of the character was a cop-out and, really, the studios had to see the pissing off of fans a mile away in doing this.  Why use the character at all if you're not going to actually use him/do him right?  It strikes me as a tease to get fan-boys in the door (since the trailers and promotional material gave no indication of this and highly suggested the Mandarin was the heavy in an "expected" sense.)  I'm not bothered by it, again, in part to not being a reader of Marvel and in part I'm not that kind of "Fan Boy."  (Plenty are ticked on the direction the Star Trek movie reboot has gone. And while it's not what I'd like to see, it's not angering me.)

There were other bothersome aspects the movie had but all-and-all I liked the movie and left the theater satisfied.  It wasn't the movie-boner the Avengers was this time last-year but it was a nice effort.  My movie-boner comes in June with "Superman."

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Have officially announced that this is the last solo Iron Man movie?  It certainly felt that way, and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either. 
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2580
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 08:46:17 PM »
Have officially announced that this is the last solo Iron Man movie?  It certainly felt that way, and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.

No, they haven't and RDJ says he's still interested.

I wouldn't mind if they left him out of the next wave, but then, RDJ's getting older too...
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5569
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »

I wouldn't mind if they left him out of the next wave, but then, RDJ's getting older too...
Isn't the next wave pretty much filled up with other solo character movies or sequels? My guess would be Tony Stark shows up in Captain America as a cameo, and is more prominant in Avengers 2. If they do end up doing another Hulk movie, which I REALLY hope they do, I would imagine Stark would get involved with that given Banner and his friendship. Imagine a Hulk movie where the he ends up being the bad guy and Stark has to make the Hulkbuster armor to take him down!

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »

Isn't the next wave pretty much filled up with other solo character movies or sequels?

Wave 3? Have they announced any of the films other than Ant Man?
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »
Oh, are you talking about Wave 2? I think they man have snuck an Iron Man movie in under your nose. ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:03:49 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »
Oh, I'm SURE Trevor pissed off some fanboys.  Don't care.  Any attempt to play him seriously would have rightly been viewed as a cut-rate version of TDK's Joker.  It's the approach that so many movies have taken since The Dark Knight came out - have your second film (IM2 was more a feature-length trailer than a film) feature a menacing and theatrical villain who makes his presence known through the media - basically, an uber-terrorist boogieman.  Skyfall did it, Star Trek Up My Asshole appears to be doing it.  That version of Mandarin is precisely the villain you'd expect - this was one of the reasons I wasn't looking forward to this movie as much as I otherwise would have - I've SEEN this villain before.  Trevor takes that big Hollywood balloon and plunges a huge needle right into the heart of it.

All aboard the Trevor Express!  Whoo whoo!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:53:34 PM by BBQ Platypus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »
Yeah, I'm all for how they played Trevor and his whole bag. I thought it was a great, intentional play on the modern movie supervillian.

The biggest downside to it, really, is that the guy they replaced him with as the head baddie simply wasn't as interesting (well acted and hammy as he was).

Overall, good movie, I enjoyed it. It's got plenty of lulls and flaws, but it's wonderful sense of humor and fantastic character beats made up for it all, I say.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »
I hadn't really read much as far as spoilers go, but I had seen enough chatter online about the fanboys being mad about how they handled Mandarin.  So for all I knew they could have actually tried to keep him similar to the comics knowing the fanboys still wouldn't have been happy about it.  But when they did the reveal of Trevor I was cracking up.  I definitely wasn't expecting it, and I thought it was great.