login

Author Topic: First view, with or without riff?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
First view, with or without riff?
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »
 Sometimes it's more funny not to know ahead of time what is going to happen in the movie, but sometimes the movie can distract from the riff if you start paying more attention to the movie. 

So, any thoughts if it is better to watch this thing for the first time with the riff or without?

No spoilers please, I've read some stuff about the movie but not a lot.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:18:18 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6489
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: Fist view, with or without riff?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
there are some mumbly bits, and a lot of shakycam, so it might be helpful to watch it through once.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Danecho1967

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:57:12 AM »
I chose to watch with the riff first.  I think the movie would have been unenjoyable without the riff, so I have no regrets.  I plan to watch the Avengers first, because I think I'll like I on its own.  This one had a Deadliest Game meets Twilight (sans vampires) feel that didn't appeal to me.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 240
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:29:43 PM »
I prefer the movie they're riffing to be one I haven't seen before, because laughing at the movie for the first time increases the pleasure of laughing at the riffs for the first.

No need to watch this mediocrity without the riffs first. Everything is predictable and it was strange to watch so many deaths and not care a fig about the characters being offed. Basically a TV movie with a Twilight budget, look, and feel. I think I only was distracted once because I was trying to figure out some plot point or another but it was all so pointless it was waste of time.

And don't worry about spoilers. You'll see everything coming a mile away.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 101
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
I watch the terrible movies only with the riffs. This was one such situation. LOL
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
You can watch my fist if you want....

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 240
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »
Stallone's unacknowledged classic. F.I.S.T.!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2943
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
You can watch my fist if you want....

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 113
  • The Drugly American
    • Choronzon
Re: First view, with or without riff?
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 05:09:31 AM »
I watched it without the riff first, because I was curious. 

Once I saw the RiffTrax, I noticed that it was a worse movie than I thought it was. Certainly not the worst - at least it's not a damn superhero movie or a reboot, remake, etc. Someone went and mated Shirley Jackson's The Lottery with Bloodlust and it had a baby, and then they took that kid and genetically modified it with 200 dystopia-future stories, and what came out was this.

There's an interesting point this thread made me think of: when we see something for the first time as a RiffTrax do we automatically get a bad tilt on a film because the weaknesses get pointed out to us while we are absorbing it? I thought this movie was sort of interesting when I first saw it, but I did want to know more about the premise.  At the beginning we're told the corporatocracy wins some sort of civil war about 75 years prior...and this abominable ritual was supposed to teach the rebels some sort of lesson.  But what? That they're heartless, cruel bastards in control of everything? I think that was already known or there wouldn't have been a rebellion.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4950
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: First view, with or without riff?
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 06:20:50 AM »
I am SOOOOO glad I watched this with the riff first. So goddamn boring. I probably would have fast forwarded it anyway.