login

Author Topic: October Horror Movie a Day 2012  (Read 19167 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
October Horror Movie a Day 2012
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:35:50 PM »
Ah, well, it's that time again...ghouls, ghosts, zombies, vampires, werewolves, and other horror icons Hollywood has long since run into the ground are out in force for the Halloween season, and what better way to celebrate that banality than to indulge in every horror film one can get?  Yes, see if you can pull off a horror movie a day for the 31 days of October.  Let's see, what were the rules from last year?

1. Movies cannot be pre-loaded...that is, if you cannot watch 3 movies on the 1st and have them count for the 2nd or the 3rd as well.  However, the opposite is fine...if you miss a day due to some extenuating circumstances, you CAN make up the day.  This is in place to keep the moviewatching in the spirit of the season and not simply to watch more movies than everyone else...it SHOULD take all month.

2. The definition of horror varies, and thus what is acceptable is VERY wide ranging.  This includes suspense films with psycho killers (i.e., Hannibal Lecter) and films of other genres that include horror elements (the entire Alien oeuvre...yes, even those AvP crossovers).  However...and this is to be made perfectly clear...romantic comedies with no actual horror are NOT permissible, no matter how "horrific" it was to sit through it in the theater.  This means that the Twilight movies are allowable, but are not counted twice as being doubly terribfying.

3. Riffed versions are not only permissible, they are actively encouraged.  If this is a reason to get you to buy Ghosthouse at long last, by all means, enjoy.  This includes iRiffs, by the way.

4. Each film in a series DOES count as a separate entry.  So, if you have all the Nightmare on Elm Streets, Friday the 13ths, Saws, etc. lined up, your month may be a set.  We're not (necessarily) looking for originality, just to get into the spirit.  I would assume those would get a bit boring after awhile.

5. Reviews are also encouraged, especially for more obscure titles or ones you have not seen before.

6. Last year, I had created the October Horror Movie a Day Dubious Achievement Award Checklist, but rather than simply repeat that list, what I would like to encourage are Challenges.  Propose your challenge, and rate it Easy, Medium, or Hard.  Easy targets are worth 1, Mediums worth 2, and Hards worth 3.  Challenges can be proposed at any time (up to October 28th...keep the masochism to the movies, will you?), but do allow for them to be doable...no presenting Challenges with three days left that require you to watch six specific movies, for instance.  And come up with fun titles for them as well, if you can.  Keep your name on this thread, and add your Completed Challenges to your post via EDIT.  All Challenges will be collected below, for easy perusal.  There are no prizes, just bragging rights.

7. The movie watching begins 12:00 A.M. October 1st and ends 11:59 October 31st.  For your sanity, base it on your personal time zone.

8. (EDIT) Extra bonus rule!  Nearly forgot about this from last year...Halloween Specials do count, but ONLY IF THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN AN HOUR LONG ON TELEVISION.  If it's a half-hour special (Peanuts Halloween, Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, et al.), you need to watch two.  In other words, spend at least an hour with your favorite nostalgic Halloween haunts, if it's a tradition.

CHALLENGE LIST:
THE SNACK COUNTER PRICES ARE THE REAL HORROR - Watch a horror movie currently released in theaters (Easy)
A SIGHT FOR DEAD EYES - Watch 5 horror movies you've never seen before (Easy)
BREAKFAST WITH BRUNDLEFLY - Watch 3 body-horror movies (Easy)
LET'S SPLIT UP GANG - Watch 3 haunted house movies (Easy)
THICKER THAN WATER - Watch 3 vampire movies (Easy)
THEY LEFT IN PIECES - Watch 3 "unfriendly" alien movies (Easy)
UNDEAD ON ARRIVAL - Watch 3 zombie movies (Easy)
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN - Watch 3 creature features (Easy)
BACK IN MY DAY - Watch 5 horror films made before 1952 (Easy)
THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR - Watch 5 holiday-themed horror movies (the holiday doesn't need to be Halloween) (Easy)
ACHING ABROAD - Watch 3 non-English language horror movies (Easy)
TO BE CONTINUED: Watch a film and a sequel to that film. (Easy)
YOU'LL DIE LAUGHING! - Watch at least 3 "funny" horror films. (Easy)
THIS SATURDAY: GIRAFFESHARK VS. LOBSTOSAURUS PRIME!: Watch one film that was a Syfy Channel Original Film. (Easy)
I SAY SHOOT THEM ANYWAY. THEY MIGHT BE ZOMBIES: Watch a film accompanied by a Rifftrax, iRiff or featured on MST3k. (Easy)
SILENCE ISN'T GOLDEN: Watch 1 silent film. (Easy)
WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU - Watch 10 horror movies you've never seen before (Medium)
MISERY LOVES COMPANY - Watch at least 3 horror movies with a crowd of at least 4 people (Medium)
HE WAS A QUIET MAN, KEPT TO HIMSELF MOSTLY - Watch at least 3 horror movies in one day (Medium)
DOUBLE FEATURE: Watch a film and a remake of the same film. (Medium)
THE REAL HORROR IS MAN: Watch a horror film with Nazis in it, either live ones or (un)dead. (Medium)
COMIN' AT YA! - Watch at least one movie in 3D (or a movie originally presented in 3D, but only if you have a condition.) (Medium)
OKAY, SHOULDN'T IT BE SPELLED SCI-FI?: Watch three films that were SyFy Channel Original Films (Medium)
PRACTICALITY: Watch three movies containing practical effects by famous special effects wizards. (Medium)
PASSPORT TO PAIN - Watch 5 non-English language horror movies (Medium)
DIRECT FROM THAT WEIRD GUY BEHIND THE MALL - Watch something that's never been officially released on DVD (Hard)
THANK CTHULHU FOR REGION 0 - Watch a horror movie that's never been officially released in the United States (Hard)
ONE BLOODY BINGE - Watch at least three consecutive films from a horror franchise, consecutively (does not have to be done one a day, can be done in a sitting) (Hard)
SUNLIGHT FRIGHTENS ME - Watch 50 horror movies over the course of the month (Hard)
THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR - 31 Days.  31 Movies.  Hotchka! (HARD)
KEEPING UP WITH THE VOORHEES - Completed all proposed challenges.  Yes, ALL. (HARD)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:45:15 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: October Horror Movie a Day 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:36:22 PM »
And here's my list:
October 1 - Ghosthouse (Rifftrax)
October 2 - Werewolf: The Beast Among Us
October 3 - From Beyond
October 4 - Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
October 5 - Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
October 6 - The Call of Cthulhu
October 7 - Bloodrayne: The Third Reich
October 8 - Hybrid
October 9 - See October 15th
October 10 - The Innkeepers
October 11 - Warlock
October 12 - Creepshow 2
October 13 - Dracula (1931)
October 14 - Haunted Honeymoon
October 15 - The Catman of Paris, House on Haunted Hill (Rifftrax Live; Officially replaces Dial M for Murder that I watched October 9th)
October 16 - Snow Beast
October 17 - The Beast Within
October 18 - Waxwork
October 19 - Face of Marble
October 20 - Monster Dog
October 21 - It! The Terror from Beyond Space
October 22 - Kairo (aka Pulse), The Horde, Angst, Creature
October 23 - Black Christmas, Night of the Ghouls, Bride of the Monster, Tales of Terror
October 24 - Donovan's Brain, Hypothermia, The Uninvited, Invaders from Mars (1986)
October 25 - Howling 3: The Marsupials, Let the Right One In, The Phantom of the Opera (1989), Sssssss!, Birdemic (Rifftrax Live)
October 26 - The Manster, Silent Hill: Revelation
October 27 - The Phantom of the Opera (1943), Dark Shadows, Rise of the Zombies
October 28 - Dead Snow, The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D
October 29 - Night of the Demons, Gremlins
October 30 - Underworld: Evolution, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, Underworld: Awakening
October 31 - Night of the Demons 2

CHALLENGES COMPLETED:
The Snack Prices are the Real Horror - Silent Hill: Revelation (1)
A Sight for Dead Eyes - Werewolf: The Beast Among Us, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, The Call of Cthulhu, Bloodrayne: The Third Reich, Hybrid (1)
Breakfast with Brundlefly - From Beyond, The Beast Within, Sssssss! (1)
Let's Split Up, Gang - Ghosthouse, The Innkeepers, House on Haunted Hill (Rifftrax Live) (1)
Thicker Than Water - Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, Bloodrayne: The Third Reich, Dracula (1)
They Left in Pieces - It! The Terror from Beyond Space, Creature, Invaders from Mars (1)
Undead on Arrival - The Horde, Rise of the Zombies, Dead Snow (1)
Top of the Food Chain - Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, Snow Beast, The Beast Within (1)
Back in My Day - Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, Dracula, The Catman of Paris, Face of Marble, Phantom of the Opera (1943)(1)
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Black Christmas, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Night of the Demons, Gremlins, Night of the Demons 2 (realized Dead Snow was pushing it a little) (1)
Aching Abroad - Pulse, The Horde, Angst (1)
To Be Continued - Underworld: Evolution, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (1)
You'll Die Laughing! - Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, Haunted Honeymoon (1)
This Saturday: Giraffeshark vs. Lobstosaurus Prime! - Hybrid (1)
I Say Shoot Them Anyway, They Might Be Zombies - Ghosthouse (1)
Silence Isn't Golden - The Call of Cthulhu (1)
We Have Such Sights to Show You - All of 'Dead Eyes,' plus The Innkeepers, Warlock, The Catman of Paris, Snow Beast, The Beast Within (2)
Misery Loves Company - Birdemic [Rifftrax Live], Silent Hill: Revelation, Dark Shadows (2)
He was a Quiet Man, Kept to Himself, Mostly... - Pulse, The Horde, Angst (2)
Double Feature - Phantom of the Opera (1943), Phantom of the Opera (1989) (2)
The Real Horror is Man - Bloodrayne: The Third Reich (2)
Comin' at Ya! - The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D (2)
Okay, Shouldn't It Be Spelled Sci-Fi? - Hybrid, Snow Beast, Rise of the Zombies (2)
Practicality -  Creepshow 2 [Tom Savini], Waxwork [Bob Keen], Invaders from Mars [Stan Winston] (2)
Passport to Pain - All of 'Aching Abroad', Let the Right One In, Dead Snow (2)
Direct from That Weird Guy Behind the Mall - The Catman of Paris (3) Unless someone proves me wrong, this is not available on disc, according to Amazon.
Thank Cthulhu for Region 0 - Angst (3)
One Bloody Binge - Underworlds 2, 3 & 4 (3)
Sunlight Frightens Me - See the list, should be at least fifty. (3)
The Whole Bloody Affair - Yep, 31 days. (3)
Keeping Up with the Voorhees - Unless I missed one somewhere...(3)

I still have a movie I'm hoping to watch tonight, but that one is purely for fun.  Thought the hardest was actually going to be Misery Loves Company, but I got enough to watch Dark Shadows (which I hadn't expected to watch).  But I am proud of myself in that of my 51, 36 were new to me.  Nice sometimes to branch out instead of having to rely on old favorites every year, and with very few exceptions (*cough cough* HOWLING 3 *cough cough*) I wasn't disappointed.

As for the challenges, got a 52 out of 52.  Add up your points and see what you got!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:28:01 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
October 1: The Devil's Backbone
October 2: The Woman in Black
October 3:
October 4:
October 5:
October 6:
October 7:
October 8:
October 9:
October 10:
October 11:
October 12:
October 13:
October 14:
October 15:
October 16:
October 17:
October 18:
October 19:
October 20:
October 21:
October 22:
October 23:
October 24:
October 25:
October 26:
October 27:
October 28:
October 29:
October 30:
October 31:

CHALLENGES COMPLETED:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:23:44 PM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
October 1: Deranged (1974) 3/5
October 2: Session 9 (2001) 2.5/5
October 2: Black Death (2010) 4/5
October 3: The Stuff (1985) 3/5
October 3: Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (2006) 4/5
October 4: Dead Snow (2009) 2.5/5
October 4: Them (2006) 3.5/5
October 5: Hostel Part 3 (2011) 1.5/5
October 5: The Descent Part 2 (2009) 3.5/5
October 6: The Bermuda Triangle (1978) 1/5
October 7: Thankskilling (2009) 2/5
October 7: Dream Home (2010) 3.5/5
October 8: Frankenweenie (2012) 4/5
October 9: Burn, Witch, Burn (1962) 3/5
October 9: Day of the Dead (2008) 1/5
October 9: Grave Encounters (2011) 3.5/5
October 10: Vile (2011) 3/5
October 11: Bloody Birthday (1981) 2/5
October 12: The Burning (1981) 3/5
October 13: Sinister (2012) 3.5/5
October 14: Angst (1983) 4/5
October 15: The Loved Ones (2009) 4.5/5
October 16: Paranormal Activity (2007) 3.5/5
October 16: Bloody Pit of Horror (1965) 2/5
October 17: Dark House (2009) 1.5/5
October 17: Hunger (2009) 2.5/5
October 18: Paranormal Activity 2 (2010 3.5/5
October 18: Paranormal Activity 3 (2011) 3/5
October 18: Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) 3/5
October 19: The Human Centipede 2 (2011) 1/5
October 20: Kidnapped (2010) 4/5
October 21: Return of the Ape Man (1944) 2/5
October 21: Bowery at Midnight (1942) 1.5/5
October 22: The Vampire's Ghost (1945) 2.5/5
October 23: Dracula (1931) 4/5
October 24: (no movie watched  :( Made up for on the 25th)
October 25: Mutant (1984) 2.5/5
October 25: The Devil's Carnival (2012) 3/5
October 25: Birdemic: Shock and Terror (2010) 1/5
October 26: Nightmare at Noon (1988) 1.5/5
October 26: From Beyond (1986) 4/5
October 27: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) 3.5/5
October 27: Pontypool (2008) 3.5/5
October 28: Leviathan (1989) 3/5
October 28: Satan's Little Helper (2004) 3.5/5
October 28: Saint Nick (2010) 2/5
October 29: Halloween Night (2006) 2.5/5
October 29: Blood and Roses(1960) 3/5
October 29: Jack Frost (1997) 2/5
October 29: Bigfoot (2012) 1/5
October 29: It! The Terror From Beyond Space (1958) 3/5
October 29: Altered (2006) 3/5
October 30: Rise of the Zombies (2012) 2/5
October 30: Zombie Apocalypse (2011) 1.5/5
October 31: Day of the Dead (1985) 3.5/5
October 31: Fire in the Sky (1993) 3/5

CHALLENGES COMPLETED:
A SIGHT FOR DEAD EYES (pretty much every movie on the list)
THE REAL HORROR IS MAN (Dead Snow)
YOU'LL DIE LAUGHING! (Poultrygeist, Thankskilling, Dead Snow)
I SAY SHOOT THEM ANYWAY. THEY MIGHT BE ZOMBIES (The Bermuda Triangle)
WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU (pretty much every movie on the list)
ACHING ABROAD (Dead Snow, Them, Dream Home)
THE SNACK COUNTER PRICES ARE THE REAL HORROR (Frankenweenie)
COMIN' AT YA! (Frankenweenie)
UNDEAD ON ARRIVAL (Poultrygeist, Dead Snow, Day of the Dead)
HE WAS A QUIET MAN, KEPT TO HIMSELF MOSTLY (Burn, Witch, Burn!, Day of the Dead, Grave Encounters)
THANK CTHULHU FOR REGION 0 (Angst)
LET'S SPLIT UP GANG (Grave Encounters, Paranormal Activity, Paranormal Activity 2)
TO BE CONTINUED (Paranormal Activity, Paranormal Activity 2)
ONE BLOODY BINGE (Paranormal Activity 2, Paranormal Activity 3, Paranormal Activity 4)
MISERY LOVES COMPANY (Frankenweenie, Sinister, Paranormal Activity 4)
PASSPORT TO PAIN (Dead Snow, Them, Dream Home, Angst, Kidnapped)
PRACTICALITY (Tom Savini: Deranged, The Burning, Greg Nictotero: From Beyond)
BACK IN MY DAY (Return of the Ape Man, Bowery at Midnight, The Vampire's Ghost, Dracula, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari)
SILENCE ISN'T GOLDEN (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari)
BREAKFAST WITH BRUNDLEFLY (The Human Centipede 2, From Beyond, Leviathan)
THICKER THAN WATER (The Vampire's Ghost, Dracula, Blood and Roses)
DIRECT FROM THAT WEIRD GUY BEHIND THE MALL (Blood and Roses)
THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR (Thankskilling, Satan's Little Helper, Saint Nick, Halloween Night, Jack Frost)
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (The Descent Part 2, Leviathan,Bigfoot)
THIS SATURDAY: GIRAFFESHARK VS. LOBSTOSAURUS PRIME! (Bigfoot)
SUNLIGHT FRIGHTENS ME
OKAY, SHOULDN'T IT BE SPELLED SCI-FI? (Bigfoot, Rise of the Zombies, Zombie Apocalypse)
DOUBLE FEATURE (Day of the Dead (2008). Day of the Dead (1985) )
THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR
THEY LEFT IN PIECES (It! The Terror From Beyond Space, Altered, Fire in the Sky)
KEEPING UP WITH THE VOORHEES
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:01:15 PM by JimJ »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:39:12 PM »
Much as I always love doing this, given my current overseas status away from the vast majority of my movie collection and rental services, I don't think I'll have access to 31 different horror movies this year. So, gonna have to concede to it in advance.

That said, I will still go for whatever award I can, and still be watching a horror movie at every opportunity.

And there better be a whole lot of Trick 'r Treat watching in here by the end of the month!

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 12:33:31 AM »
Movie #1: Deranged (1974)

One of the many movies based on Ed Gein, this may be one of the most accurate.  It can come off a bit cheesy at times.  Especially when this guy randomly shows up to narrate at you:

Overall, though, I enjoyed it pretty well.  The guy who plays the Ed Gein character (his actual character name is Ezra Cobb) was really great.  Looks a lot like the real Ed Gein too.  Great performance, much better than what I'd expect from a movie like this.  There's a lot of humor too, some of it intentional, some of it probably unintentional. Pretty decent movie. 3/5
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:36:29 AM by JimJ »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
A few award suggestions:

THE SNACK COUNTER PRICES ARE THE REAL HORROR - Watch a horror movie currently released in theaters (Easy)
A SIGHT FOR DEAD EYES - Watch 5 horror movies you've never seen before (Easy)
WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU - Watch 15 horror movies you've never seen before (Medium)
BREAKFAST WITH BRUNDLEFLY - Watch 5 body-horror movies (Easy)
LET'S SPLIT UP GANG - Watch 5 haunted house movies (Easy)
THICKER THAN WATER - Watch 5 vampire movies (Easy)
THEY LEFT IN PIECES - Watch 5 "unfriendly" alien movies (Easy)
UNDEAD ON ARRIVAL - Watch 10 zombie movies (Easy)
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN - Watch 10 creature features (Easy)
BACK IN MY DAY - Watch 5 horror films made before 1952 (Easy)
THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR - Watch 5 holiday-themed horror movies (the holiday doesn't need to be Halloween) (Easy)
ACHING ABROAD - Watch 5 non-English language horror movies (Easy)
PASSPORT TO PAIN - Watch 10 non-English language horror movies (Medium)
MISERY LOVES COMPANY - Watch at least 3 horror movies with a crowd of at least 4 people (Medium)
HE WAS A QUIET MAN, KEPT TO HIMSELF MOSTLY - Watch at least 3 horror movies in one day (Medium)
DIRECT FROM THAT WEIRD GUY BEHIND THE MALL - Watch something that's never been officially released on DVD (Hard)
THANK CTHULHU FOR REGION 0 - Watch a horror movie that's never been officially released in the United States (Hard)
ONE BLOODY BINGE - Watch an entire slasher franchise (5 entry minimum), start to finish, reboots/crossovers included, consecutively (as in at least 1 entry per day for however many days it takes to finish, no other movies in between) (Hard)
SUNLIGHT FRIGHTENS ME - Watch 50 horror movies over the course of the month (Hard)

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, forgot this was supposed to go in my first post.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:15:55 AM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline mrbasehart

• Steals from Casinos
  • Liked: 2112
  • Movie-Watching Machine
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »
I'll give this a go, though I'm certainly not going to watch any films I've seen before.  I'm hardcore like that.  :)

1.  Scream and Scream Again. (1970) 4/10
2.  Empire of the Ants. (1977) 3/10
3.  Apartment 143. (2011) 5/10
4.  A Haunting in Salem.  (2011) 3/10
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:32:09 AM by mrbasehart »

Zombie Monty

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
October 1st - Jaws (w/Rifftrax)  - 1975  (Killer Shark)
October 2nd - Incubus - 1966  (Demons, Non-English Film)
October 3rd - Albino Farm - 2009 (Backwoods Mutants)
October 4th - no film watched (doubled up on the 5th)
October 5th - The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake - 1959 (Witch Doctor)
                    - I Married A Witch - 1942 (Witches, Comedy)
October 10th - The Wasp Woman (w/Cinematic Titanic) -
October 11th - The Happening (W/Rifftrax)
October 18th - The Village
                      - Cloverfield
Challenges Completed:
I SAY SHOOT THEM ANYWAY. THEY MIGHT BE ZOMBIES
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:39:23 PM by Zombie Monty »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1010
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »
As usual, I'm heading to 100. This year's list:

Oct 1: Nazis at the Center of the Earth (2012, Nazis)*
Oct 1: The Darkest Hour (2012, Aliens)
Oct 1: Resident Evil: Damnation (2012, Zombies)*
Oct 2: The Dead Undead (2010, Zombovampies)*
Oct 2: The Thing (2011, Aliens)
Oct 2: Piranha 3DD (2012, Piranhas)*
Oct 2: Skeleton Man (2004, Undead vengeful skeletal Cherokee.)*
Oct 3: Vampire Wars: Battle for the Universe (2004, Alien Vampires. A twofer!)
Oct 3: One Body Too Many (1944, A human murderer. And Bela Lugosi is in it.)*
Oct 3: Swamp Women (1956, Lady Criminals) (Non-riffed and yes, IMDB says it's a horror film)*
Oct 4: Monster (2008, a tentacle monster. No really. Although of the Cthonian variety rather than the hentai type.)*
Oct 4: Paranormal Entity (2009, A ghost. I think. Could have been a demon too.)
Oct 4: Dracula III: The Legacy (2005, Vampires)*
Oct 5: Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992, Pinhead)
Oct 5: Apollo 18 (2011, Aliens)
Oct 5: Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2011, Slasher)
Oct 6: Fright Night (2011, Vampires)
Oct 6: Dead Time (2012, Slasher)*
Oct 6: Night Junkies (2007, Vampires)*
Oct 7: The Monster Maker (1944, Mad scientist)
Oct 7: El Baron del Terror (1962, Witch)
Oct 7: Ghosthouse (1988, Ghost)
Oct 8: Leprechaun (1993, Leprechaun)
Oct 8: Leprechaun 2 (1994, Leprechaun) (Plus St. Patrick's Day and Clint Howard)*
Oct 8: Leprechaun 3 (1995, Leprechaun)
Oct 8: Leprechaun 4: In Space (1997, Spiders. Or Leprechauns. One of the two)
No, I'm not doing Leprechaun in da Hood. Yet.
Oct 9: The Blob (1958, Alien space monster)
Oct 9: Beware the Blob! (1972, Alien space monster)*
Oct 9: The Blob (1988, Alien space monster)
Oct 10: Punk Rock Holocaust (2003, slasher & zombies)*
Oct 10: Pinata: Survival Island (2001, Demonic Pinata)
Oct 10: Killjoy Goes to Hell (2012, Demonic clown)*
Oct 11: National Lampoon's Class Reunion (1982, Slasher)
Oct 11: Mega Piranha (2010, Piranhas. But Mega ones)
Oct 11: Dinoshark Whoops. IMDB doesn't call it a horror film. That's my criteria, so out it goes.
Oct 11: Sharktopus (2011, A Sharktopus)
Oct 12: Innkeepers (2011, Ghosts)*
Oct 12: Some Guy Who Kills People (2011. Slasher)*
Oct 12: Darkworld (2006, Demons)*
Oct 13: Final Destination 5 (2011, Death)
Oct 13: Darkest Hour (2005, Slasher) (No, not the same film as the aliens in Moscow one above)*
Oct 13: Campfire Tales (1997, Anthology)*
Oct 14: Final Exam (1981, Slasher)*
Oct 14: Shriek if You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th (2000, Slasher)
Oct 14: Nightmares (1983, Anthology)*
Oct 14: Fever Lake (1996, Evil Lake Spirit) (With Corey Haim and Mario Lopez)*
Oct 14: Horror Express (1972, Creature from beyond space and time)*
Oct 15: Tales from the Hood (1995, Anthology)*
Oct 15: Stones of Death (1989, Aborigine curses)*
Oct 15: Pony Trouble (2005, Psycho My Little Pony fans. No, I'm not making that up.)*
Oct 16: 7 Below (2012, Ghost)*
Oct 16: Cheerleader Camp (1988, Slasher)*
Oct 16: Zombie Diaries 2 (2012, Zombies)*
Oct 17: Killer Workout (1987, Slasher)*
Oct 17: Soultaker (1990, Joe Estevez)
Oct 17: Rattlers (1976, Snakes)
Oct 18: Maximum Overdrive (1986, Machines)
Oct 18: Werewolf: The Beast Among Us (2012, Werewolf) *
Oct 18: One Missed Call (2005, Ghost) * (JP)
Oct 19: Dog Soldiers (2002, Werewolf)*
Oct 19: Dead Set (2008, Zombies)*
Oct 19: Killdozer (1972, Killdozer/Aliens)*
Oct 20: Broken Skull (2000, THE HEAD-CRUSHER!)*
Oct 20: Mansion of Madness (1972, An evil mental ward)*
Oct 20: Creeptales (1986, Anthology) *
Oct 20: Malibu Beach Vampires (1991, Horrible, horrible "Comedy")*
Oct 21: Queen of the Damned (2002, Vampire)*
Oct 21: Stigmata (1999, Vengeful spirits)*
Oct 21: The Bermuda Triangle (1978, The Ocean and creepy dolls)
Oct 22: One Missed Call 2 (2005, Cell Phone Ghosts)* (JP)
Oct 22: Killer Clowns from Outer Space (1987, Clowns)
Oct 22: Cherry Falls (2000, Slasher) *
Oct 23: Nightmare at Noon (1988, Evil Albino conspiracies)*
Oct 23: Mutant (1984, Zombie-ish things)
Oct 24: The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here! (1972, Boredom. And Werewolves) *
Oct 24: The Tunnel (2011, er, something)*
Oct 24: The Horde (2009, Zombies)
Oct 25: Playback (2012, Ghosts)*
Oct 25: Rifftrax Live Presents Birdemic: Shock and Terror (2012, Birds & Mtn Lions)*
Oct 25: Dark Harvest 2: The Maize (2004, Slasher/Ghost)*
Oct 26: Deranged (1974, Slasher)*
Oct 26: Motel Hell (1980, Crazy Farmers)
Oct 26: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012, Vampires)*
Oct 26: Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies (2012, Zombies)*
Dear lord, what the hell is wrong with me?
Oct 27: Zombiethon (1987, Zombies)*
Oct 27: Stage Fright (1987, Psycho actor)*
Oct 27: Rise of the Zombies (2012, Zombies)*
Oct 27: Bloody Pit of Horror (2012, Crimson Executioner)* (With Rifftrax version)
Oct 28: Idle Hands (1999, Killer Hand)*
Oct 28: Made Out Alive (2009, Zombies)*
Oct 28: The Cat and the Canary (1927, Deranged Relative)* (Silent)
Oct 28: The Cat and the Canary (1938, Normal Human being)*
Oct 29: We Are the Night (2010, vampires)*
Oct 29: Kill Katie Malone (2010, Irish Ghost)*
Oct 29: the Lift (1983, A Killer Elevator)*
Oct 30: Forget Me Not (2009, Spirit)*
Oct 30: Area 407 (2012, A killer critter)*
Oct 31: Grave Encounters (2011, Haunted Asylum)*
(And I watched it starting at 1 am. It counts.)
Oct 31: White (2011, Ghost haunting a K-Pop band)* (Korean)
Oct 31: Troll Hunter (2009, trolls)* (Norwegian?)
Oct 31: Rifftrax Ustream of Voodoo Man (1944, Mad Science)
Oct 31: The Lady and the Monster (1940, Science!)*
Oct 31: Rammbock: Berlin Undead (2010, Zombies)* (German)

Challenges Complete:
A SIGHT FOR DEAD EYES
LET'S SPLIT UP GANG
THICKER THAN WATER (Fright Night, Vampire Wars, Night Junkies)
THEY LEFT IN PIECES
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (Sharktopus, Mega Piranha, Piranha DD)
TO BE CONTINUED
THIS SATURDAY: GIRAFFESHARK VS. LOBSTOSAURUS PRIME!
WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU
COMIN' AT YA! (Piranha 3DD and Resident Evil: Damnation)
OKAY, SHOULDN'T IT BE SPELLED SCI-FI? (Skeleton Man, Mega Piranha, Sharktopus)
YOU'LL DIE LAUGHING! (Pony Trouble, Shriek If You Know Etc, Class Reunion)
HE WAS A QUIET MAN, KEPT TO HIMSELF MOSTLY
DOUBLE FEATURE (The Blob)
ONE BLOODY BINGE (Leprechaun 1-4)
THANK CTHULHU FOR REGION 0 (Dead Set)
WINGSCRAFT 2: WINGS OF HAUSERNESS (Mutant, Nightmare at Noon, Tales from the Hood)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:00:36 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

JASON WHO?  FREDDY WHATNOW? - No films from the '80s or '90s at all (Medium)

Not  a good one and certainly not a medium challenge. Firstly, prohibitive lists are a bad idea. This challenge would keep folks who are, say, trying to watch films from every decade of film making from participating. Secondly, you've just eliminated roughly a quarter to a third of all horror films. My last year's list, for example, had 108 films and 29 of them came from those decades. You're keeping people from seeing a lot of films with that restriction. Stick to the "See this" type challenges, not the "don't see this" ones.

Offline mrbasehart

• Steals from Casinos
  • Liked: 2112
  • Movie-Watching Machine
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 04:04:48 PM »

Not  a good one and certainly not a medium challenge. Firstly, prohibitive lists are a bad idea. This challenge would keep folks who are, say, trying to watch films from every decade of film making from participating. Secondly, you've just eliminated roughly a quarter to a third of all horror films. My last year's list, for example, had 108 films and 29 of them came from those decades. You're keeping people from seeing a lot of films with that restriction. Stick to the "See this" type challenges, not the "don't see this" ones.

Or you're pushing people to explore less "safe" areas for horror movies. 

Zombie Monty

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »

I was planning on avoiding all '80s and '90s films as a personal choice since I have already seen a helluva lot of them and I have seen far less from the other decades.  Wanted to correct that.

I wasn't planning on directly attempting any of the other challenges anyway.  Trying to complete the challenges would seem to take away from any spontaneity in film selection.  I just plan on choosing random shit as I go.  At the end, I will see how many of the listed challenges I can check off.

But I will remove my suggestion if it will screw up anyone's plans to attempt the "KEEPING UP WITH THE VOORHEES" challenge.  So far, all of the suggested challenges are doable without films made in the '80s or '90s (as far as I can tell).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:26:56 PM by Zombie Monty »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »

Or you're pushing people to explore less "safe" areas for horror movies.

In addition to removing the slasher franchises in the title, you also remove most of the J-Horror resurgence , a good chunk of the later Italian zombie films, and a plethora of other films too. I'm looking at a list of Fangoria's 101 Best Horror Films that you've never seen and in the first 10 titles, you've got Apt Pupil, Alone in the Dark (not the Boll one), The Beyond, The Blob, The Boneyard and the Borrower. Those are all very different films from the Freddy/Jason films and none of those are particularly typical horror films, except for maybe the Blob remake.

And Monty, yes, I am very explicitly watching a horror film from every decade of film making, so yeah, your challenge doesn't work for me. Once again, the challenges should be "do something" not "Don't do something."

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
Well, I wrote a review for Nazis at the Center of the Earth, but it exceeded the maximum length.

Whoops.

Anyway, it's an Asylum film that includes Nazis in the Antarctic. And a Mecha Hitler. No really. Hitler's head in a jar, mounted on a robotic body. With a chain gun and chest mounted laser. The Nazis have a flying saucer too.

Unfortunately, the film can't keep its tone straight. It's played completely seriously, but you have a Nazi flying saucer (which Fortean Times assures me was real) and Mecha Hitler running around all while characters are having their flesh surgically removed by Joseph Megele. As a result there's always a never quite right tone in the film. It should either be more serious or crazier. Instead, it's in kinda of a weird space tone-wise and it suffers as a movie for that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:41:45 PM by Compound »