login

Author Topic: LoC #64: Top 52 Scientists  (Read 27766 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7358
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
LoC #64: Top 52 Scientists
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:44 AM »
LoC #64 - Top Fifty-Two Scientists

Welcome to the sixty-fourth List of Crap! In this instalment, we will be counting down our fifty-two favourite scientists. First, a huge thank-you to everyone who voted for this topic, and a big thank-you to everyone who submitted a list. I'd like to apologize to those entries that I don't know well. I've had to copy and paste Wikipedia information for those.

The posting schedule will be 8-5-6-5-8-10-10 due to some ties. Before I begin the list proper, I'd like to share some general topic data and observations. These data include all submissions, not just the final list. Numbers, graphs, and charts seem appropriate, this being a list about scientists.

Total lists received: 16
Unique entries: 175
Average number of lists on which an entry appears: 2.275
Maximum number of lists on which an entry appears: 11

The quick submission of two lists got me all excited that there'd be a huge number of lists by the end. I should not have been so optimistic. While I did get a good number of lists, they mostly came in the latter half of the submission period. With a hundred and seventy-five unique entries, it's not surprising that there wasn't a huge amount of overlap between the lists. Thankfully, there was some and all of the singletons got pushed out of the top fifty.

The split between real and fictional was much closer than I thought it'd be, and also the other way around. I'm very proud of you, board, for picking so many real scientists. Something I hadn't thought of when I suggested the topic was the species of fictional scientists. As it turns out, all sentient beings seem to be curious about the world around them and start down the path of science.

Sadly, the ladies were under-represented in the submissions, but this was not unexpected. It is possible that this is due to the western "dead white guys'" history of science that is usually taught in school. Hopefully, if this list were run again in a hundred years, it would be closer to gender parity. The recent past featured most heavily for the real scientists in the submissions. This is also likely due to the Eurocentric science history that we've learned.

Based on the population of the board, I suppose it's not too surprising that the submissions were heavy with Americans and Europeans. Just as a side note: it was annoyingly difficult to pick a good colour scheme for the map (the darker the blue, the more entries).

The breakdown of fields was very general (eg. someone considered an inventor was classed as an engineer), but showed that the engineers/inventors, physicists, and biologists are favoured. The chemists were not as heavily represented, which was somewhat surprising.

Fortunately science, like that nature to which it belongs, is neither limited by time nor by space. It belongs to the world, and is of no country and of no age. The more we know, the more we feel our ignorance; the more we feel how much remains unknown; and in philosophy, the sentiment of the Macedonian hero can never apply: there are always new worlds to conquer.
Sir Humphry Davy

And now, on to the list!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
Re: LoC #64: Top 52 Scientists
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
51 (tie)

Herbert West

28 points - 2 lists - Highest Position: 11 ScottotD

Portrayed By: Jeffrey Combs (films)

Short Biography

Herbert West is a fictional character created by H. P. Lovecraft for his short story "Herbert West—Reanimator." In Lovecraft's tale, Herbert West was ostracized by his fellow medical students because he believed he could overcome death and had only one friend: the unnamed narrator of the story. After a series of successful experiments Herbert West is eventually torn to pieces by his own experiments. The films transplant the character into the end of the twentieth century rather than the early twentieth century in the story.

Major Discovery

Herbert West is the inventor of a special solution that when injected into a main artery of a recently deceased person causes the body's mechanical, living functions to return. However, most subjects that have undergone the "re-animation" process have turned violent and, after failed attempts to return to their own graves, have terrorized the communities into which they were reanimated.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JpZ75kPYVcs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JpZ75kPYVcs</a>

Up Next: Never has a scientist been so blue.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:47:26 AM »
51 (tie)

Hank McCoy (Beast)

28 points - 3 lists - Highest Position: 10 (Johnny Unusual)

Portrayed By: Kelsey Grammar (film), Nicholas Hoult (film), George Buza (animated series), Fred Tatasciore (animated series)

Short Biography

Hank McCoy is a mutant in the Marvel Universe. He is associated with the X-Men, but has also been a member of the Avengers, the Defenders, and X-Factor (I don't know how well he got along with Simon Cowell). Throughout the various incarnations, he is portrayed as a furry blue humanoid with immense strength and intelligence. He is usually a soft-spoken, gentle person, but can be provoked to use his strength. He is an expert in the fields of genetics and biophysics, with knowledge of physics, mathematics, electrical engineering, and computer science. He is also an MD.

Major Discovery

Hank's greatest achievement was curing the Legacy virus, a deadly viroid (part of a virus) meant to kill all mutants.

Up Next: They let walruses do science now?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »
45 (tie)

Jamie Hyneman

29 points - 2 lists - Highest Position: 8 (Gunflyer)

Short Biography

Jamie Hyneman is a special effects expert who is best known for his work on MythBusters, a television show where the presenters test various myths. Though their methodology may not be entirely scientific, they do promote the idea that you should question things you are told. Also, blowing stuff up is always a good solution.

Major Discoveries

Some of the myths that Jamie has confirmed include:
 - poppy seeds false positive
 - rowing eight can pull a water skier
 - winner of the Ultimate Mythbuster competition
 - drive on wooden wheels
 - a serviceable boat can be built from duct tape
 - Jamie wants and gets big boom

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSlm2OFvXvA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSlm2OFvXvA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pp5hNhHp3Ew" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pp5hNhHp3Ew</a>

Up Next: Come, family, sit in the snow with daddy and let us all bask in TV's warm glowing warming glow.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
45 (tie)

Philo Farnsworth

29 points - 2 lists - Highest Position: 7 (Pak-Man)

Short Biography

Philo Farnsworth was an American inventor and television pioneer. As a teenager, his family moved to a home that had an electric generator. By repairing the generator, he was able to learn about mechanical and electrical technology.

Major Discoveries

Farnsworth major achievement was the invention of the television while still in high school. He also designed a fusion reactor which, while unfortunately unable to be scaled up to a power generator, has found use as a neutron source. Farnsworth held over 300 patents worldwide. In an interview with his wife, she recounted watching the images beamed back from the moon landing, "and, when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon, Phil turned to me and said, 'Pem, this has made it all worthwhile.' Before then, he wasn't too sure."

Up Next: Eight is enough.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:48:30 AM »
45 (tie)

Otto Octavius

29 points - 2 lists - Highest Position: 6 (Johnny Unusual)

Portrayed By: Alfred Molina (film), Tom Kenny (animated series), Peter MacNicol (animated series), Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (animated series)

Short Biography
Otto Octavius is a super-villain who appears in the Marvel Universe. During Otto's freshman year of college, his father's death due to an industrial accident pushed Otto towards the study of, and obsession with, physical science. After graduating from college, Otto Octavius found work in an engineering firm. Otto became a brilliant and respected nuclear physicist, atomic research consultant, inventor, and lecturer.

Major Discovery
Octavius designed a set of highly advanced mechanical arms controlled via a brain–computer interface to assist him with his research into atomic physics. The tentacle arms were resistant to radiation and were capable of great strength and highly precise movement, attached to a harness that fit around his body. During an accidental radiation leak that ended in an explosion, the apparatus became fused to Octavius' body. It was later revealed that the radiation (or possibly his own latent mutation) had mutated his brain so that he could control the movement of the arms using his thoughts alone.

Up Next: This next scientist has a real chimp on her shoulder.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
45 (tie)

Jane Goodall

29 points - 2 lists - Highest Position: 6 (Mrs. Dick Courier)

Short Biography

Jane Goodall is a primatologist. She is the founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and has worked extensively on conservation and animal welfare issues. As a child she was given a lifelike chimpanzee toy named Jubilee by her father; her fondness for the toy started her early love of animals. Today, the toy still sits on her dresser in London. Goodall had always been passionate about animals and Africa, which brought her to the farm of a friend in the Kenya highlands in 1957. From there, she obtained work as a secretary, and acting on her friend's advice she telephoned Louis Leakey, a Kenyan archaeologist and paleontologist, with no other thought than to make an appointment to discuss animals. Leakey arranged funding and in 1962 sent Goodall, who had no degree, to Cambridge University where she obtained a Ph.D degree in Ethology. She became only the eighth person to be allowed to study for a Ph.D there without first obtaining a BA or B.Sc.

Major Discoveries

Goodall is best known as an expert on chimpanzees, due to her forty-five-year-long study of chimpanzee social and family interactions. Goodall’s research at Gombe Stream is best known to the scientific community for challenging two long-standing beliefs of the day: that only humans could construct and use tools, and that chimpanzees were vegetarians. She discovered that chimps will systematically hunt and eat smaller primates such as colobus monkeys. But perhaps more startling, and disturbing, was the tendency for aggression and violence within chimpanzee troops. Goodall observed dominant females deliberately killing the young of other females in the troop in order to maintain their dominance, sometimes going as far as cannibalism.

Up Next: With science, of course!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:40:50 AM by goflyblind »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:19 AM »
45 (tie)

Dr. Insano

29 points - 2 lists - Highest Position: 3 (Darth Geek)

Portrayed By: Noah Antwiler

Short Biography

Dr. Insano is a mad scientist villain created by Spoony. His catchphrase is "With SCIENCE!" punctuated by sticking his finger in the air, usually given as an glib explanation for how he has accomplished some amazing feat. Insano is the result of years of SpoonyOne reviewing bad movies and videogames. He was, at one time, elected President of the United States.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AA8OnP4__Og" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AA8OnP4__Og</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfP3nsVrFOU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HfP3nsVrFOU</a>

Up Next: He saw the operation, and he still votes "neigh."
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:43 AM »
45 (tie)

Dr. Horrible

29 points - 4 lists - Highest Position: 9 (Johnny Unusual)

Portrayed By: Neil Patrick Harris

Short Biography

Dr. Horrible is the anti-hero and main character of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog who aspires to join the Evil League of Evil. Hi alter-ego, Billy, is primarily motivated by a desire to make a drastic social change in the world by putting the power in his own hands. Many of his inventions go awry, including the trans-matter beam, which dissolved gold bars he meant to steal.

Major Discovery

Dr. Horrible's most successful invention was the freeze ray, which he used to overpower Captain Hammer and get into the Evil League of Evil.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ILObfEzX92k" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ILObfEzX92k</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dDD-SP2iaa8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dDD-SP2iaa8</a>

Up Next (Tomorrow): You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:59:57 AM by goflyblind »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6580
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 09:23:09 AM »
45 (tie)

Dr. Insano

29 points - 2 lists - Highest Position: 3 (Darth Geek)

YES!

Great list so far, goflyblind. I particularly liked all the graphs at the beginning. Nice touch.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
Great list indeed.  I should point out however that you're "ties" aren't actually ties.  See, there are 2 kinds of tie-breakers: the number of list and their top placements within those lists.  Actually, this means that with the exception of Jane Goodall and Doctor Insano, all of the current entries are in the correct order.  All you need to do is number them as such.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »
Poor Jamie. I'm sure Adam ranked much higher.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »
I think that's a terrible tragedy and a black eye for walrusi everywhere, beard solidarity should have made me include him on my list, alas....

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
Everyone knows Jamie is the best one.  There's an episode of the Nerdist podcast with Adam Savage where he tells some awesome Jamie stories that I won't paraphrase since it won't have the same effect.  You may have to sit through Adam Savage doing some not great stand up to get to it (not awful, like you might imagine and perhaps even better than you'd expect, but still not great).

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »
well i missed this one but im enjoying it thus far great graphs at the start i wouldnt mind seeing similar things on future lists.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE