Author Topic: 'THOR' - any value to the film? *SPOILERS LIKELY*  (Read 4011 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: 'THOR' - any value to the film? *SPOILERS LIKELY*
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
I think Captain America is one of the few Marvel films I have ever really actually enjoyed.... Partly because I've always been a huge fan of The Rocketeer, and it reminded me of both that (obviously) and Starship Troopers.

Other than that, I say "feh" to Marvel films.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4651
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »
As far as 'sucky' Marvel films go... I just remembered a couple more.  I had apparently completely blocked from memory: Blade II, and Blade Trinity.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »
I don't know why they even make Marvel films anymore. None of them will EVER live up to Howard the Duck.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
I don't know why they even make Marvel films anymore. None of them will EVER live up to Howard the Duck.

;D  Wow... I'd buried the memory of THAT one so far down that even when pushing myself to remember other Marvel films it didn't surface!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »
You mean the iRiff. It's spirit and truth will never die, after all.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 08:26:04 PM »
Aww, the Blade movies are kind of fun. And don't forget The Fantastic Four movies!

Thor was a loong way from being bad. It was a simple tale of overcoming arrogance, and that's a good story for a Thor movie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 08:52:54 PM »
Aww, the Blade movies are kind of fun. And don't forget The Fantastic Four movies!

Wait, WHAT?! You have two COMPLETELY CONFLICTING IDEAS THERE!

The Fantastic Four movie were aweful. Maybe not quite as bad as HULK or Electra, but still heinous nonetheless.

The first two Blade movies are tons of fun (I am partial to the sencond one, myself). The third sucked donkey balls, but that is more sequelitis catching up to it than anything else.

Coragale

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 09:55:06 PM »
Spirit of Vengeance was a decent movie. I'd put it above everything else in that list, ESPECIALLY Ghost Rider. I can't stand to even think about that movie. And to think we had to do the extended cut...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »
I liked Spirit of Vengance, but I don't think it was BETTER than the first so much as it embraced the cheesiness that the first was trying (and failing) to sweep under the rug.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 07:05:03 AM »
As far as 'sucky' Marvel films go... I just remembered a couple more.  I had apparently completely blocked from memory: Blade II, and Blade Trinity.

I was with you 100% until Blade 2, I think that movie's fantastic.  Although I'm a Del Toro fanboy admittedly.

Hope your well reasoned and thoughtful take on Thor is a sign your feeling a bit better too man :)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 07:20:43 AM »
Screw Thor.  I want to see a Beta Ray Bill movie!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
[assorted Marvel movie stuff]
Hope your well reasoned and thoughtful take on Thor is a sign your feeling a bit better too man :)

Thanks. :) Yeah, I'm finally doing a bit better, but I have to be very careful about what I respond to now, and I have more followable rules in place for time limits on the computer and such.  I used to basically write my thoughts if I had anything to say about whatever (particularly if a different viewpoint than what I saw being expressed by others just so there was still more variety here).  Problem was, with the impulsivity from the head injuries, I did that with virtually everything I had an opinion about (which is a lot ;) )... and then once I'd start, I'd be unable to shut up and run myself well past my actual capacity.

And luckily with what I wrote on Thor, I'd thought through why I did/didn't like various parts of the movie as I watched and dissected it starting after the first viewing.  So with what I wrote on Thor, much of what I wrote was actually repeating what I'd already thought/organized in my head simply as I'd seen the film again and again [as I did with the others in the The Avengers prequels ;), in prep for The Avengers release].  When I'm 'replaying' things I've already thought it takes MUCH less out of me than if I'm trying to organize thoughts in a new way 'fresh'.  [So... I guess that means my thoughts on Thor were 'stale'? ::) ]

[[Edit: OK... so the 'writing rules' aren't always followed... necessary tasks I had to do today meant I wasn't supposed to write at all today.  Oops.  Well, just gotta' keep trying.]]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:44:04 PM by LucasM »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »

I was with you 100% until Blade 2, I think that movie's fantastic.  Although I'm a Del Toro fanboy admittedly.

I think I might have to revisit the first two Blade movies, because I think I mix parts of them together in my head.  I can't remember which one of the movies had the completely CG fight scene that they tried to mask with a giant bank of blinding lights reducing it into silhouettes.  I remember seeing that scene in the theater and pretty much writing off the rest of the movie.

I vaguely remember Ryan Reynolds being the only thing that entertained me in Trinity.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »

I think I might have to revisit the first two Blade movies, because I think I mix parts of them together in my head.  I can't remember which one of the movies had the completely CG fight scene that they tried to mask with a giant bank of blinding lights reducing it into silhouettes.  I remember seeing that scene in the theater and pretty much writing off the rest of the movie.

I vaguely remember Ryan Reynolds being the only thing that entertained me in Trinity.
The fight scene in front of the lights is in Blade 2. It's by far the most cartoony of the CGI in that movie, and even Guillermo DelToro admits it looks like crap. They just couldn't fix it in time.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
Yeah, on the commentary track he calls it "The Mortal Kombat" scene I think.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)