login

Author Topic: Car Talk  (Read 27584 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Car Talk
« Reply #345 on: June 23, 2019, 11:27:35 AM »
Virginia requires front plates. About 30 states do now.

Alabama not only doesn't require front plates, it doesn't require state inspections either.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #346 on: June 23, 2019, 11:36:46 AM »
PA does not require front plates.  When I was growing up in CT they didn't, but now they do, I remember my folks complaining about it but can't remember how long ago that happened.

I think it's more for traffic cameras that send out tickets, I remember my folks saying NYC complained about CT cars not having front plates so they weren't getting as many tickets and that was one of the reasons CT added them.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2019, 08:38:35 AM »
New York State has required front and back plates ever since I was a little kid, so at least the 80s. I doubt there would have been traffic cameras back then.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #348 on: June 24, 2019, 09:14:59 AM »
Front and back plates used to be just about everywhere, then states started switching to rear only to save money, now some are switching back.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 366
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #349 on: June 24, 2019, 01:08:01 PM »
Looks like the ford fiesta needs a bracket that is normally installed by the dealer, google "front plate holder for 2013 ford fiesta" and you can find them for about $15, but you'll have to drill holes in the bumper to install it.

I did buy one of these, but it was useless.  I didn't see how it was supposed to help.

I remembered that my electric screwdriver has two drill bits included.  They're small, but the plastic on the front bumper is soft enough for it to do the job.  I also grabbed some sharp ended wood screws.  The electric screwdriver couldn't seem to screw them in all the way (it was cheap and doesn't have a lot of torque).  I had to break out the old fashioned screwdriver and put a lot of muscle power into it.

Anyway, after 7 trips to the DMV, my car is all set with the real license plates, front and back.  It's registered too.  I got my Illinois license too, but here they just give you a temporary paper one at the DMV and mail the permanent plastic one to you.  They allowed me to keep my old Indiana license though. I didn't expect that.

Now I want to go back and get one of those state ID cards.  It seems like it would be handy, in case I go somewhere that asks for 2 forms of ID.  Or I could leave the driver's license in the car so I can drive places without bothering to take my wallet (if I feel like doing that).
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #350 on: June 24, 2019, 01:31:53 PM »
To use the holder you would drill 3 holes in the bumper where those indentations are and screw it on, then the plate mounts normally to the holder just like the back plate.  You need to buy the one that is made specifically for the shape of your front bumper.

The issue with mounting the plate the way you did will be the wind force pushing the plate around as you drive, most likely it will eventually start cracking around the screw holes and might fall off.  It may just bend back and form itself to the bumper, if it does that then it should stay on.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3781
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #351 on: June 24, 2019, 03:26:30 PM »
Now I want to go back and get one of those state ID cards.  It seems like it would be handy, in case I go somewhere that asks for 2 forms of ID.  Or I could leave the driver's license in the car so I can drive places without bothering to take my wallet (if I feel like doing that).
A lot of places won't accept a license AND a state ID as 2 forms of identification as they need to be 2 different forms of photo IDs (I.E: passport & driver's license)..
I know for getting a PO Box the post office won't accept a Driver's License & state issued picture ID together because the driver's license super-cedes the state ID.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 366
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2019, 05:30:56 PM »
A lot of places won't accept a license AND a state ID as 2 forms of identification as they need to be 2 different forms of photo IDs (I.E: passport & driver's license)..
I know for getting a PO Box the post office won't accept a Driver's License & state issued picture ID together because the driver's license super-cedes the state ID.

I don't understand what the second form is supposed to be.  Who carries around 2 different forms of photo ID?  I mean, I used to have those.  At my previous job, I had a Common Access Card which is federal government issued ID.  I also had my driver's license.  I can't go get another CAC since I don't work for the government anymore.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3781
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #353 on: June 24, 2019, 05:50:28 PM »

I don't understand what the second form is supposed to be.  Who carries around 2 different forms of photo ID?  I mean, I used to have those.  At my previous job, I had a Common Access Card which is federal government issued ID.  I also had my driver's license.  I can't go get another CAC since I don't work for the government anymore.
A passport along with a driver's license are accepted as 2 different forms of ID.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »
About a month ago I asked if anyone knew anything about getting key codes for my Camry. I finally went to the Locksmith on Monday. Here's what he had to say:

It used to be possible to get the key code from the manufacturer by giving them the VIN, but not any more. You can get the key code (at least on a Camry) by taking off the passenger side door panel. Neither one of us wanted to do that. I've done that before and it is a gigantic pain in the ass. So he basically guessed the pin positions based on the one really worn down key I had. It took him three tries before he finally cut a key that would open the doors.

I still have trouble turning it in the ignition, but I'm pretty sure that's more the fault of the ignition than the key, since it works on all the doors and thunk just fine.