Author Topic: Car Talk  (Read 24570 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2362
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Car Talk
« Reply #300 on: July 06, 2018, 12:50:04 PM »
Call from the shop implies that it might just be the belt.  He said that the alternator belt is..... not there.  So he has to install a new belt just to test the alternator.  If the alternator tests pass, I can get by with just replacing the belt.

How old is the car?  I didn't know they made any cars anymore that had a separate belt for the alternator, thought they all went to the design with one giant serpentine belt ages ago.

Oh yeah I forgot about this.  When I looked at the work order once the repairs were done, it was in fact the serpentine belt.

I'm amazed the engine still ran, but the car might be old enough that the belt only moved stuff like the water pump, alternator, and fan.  On newer cars they use that belt even for the overhead valves so the engine can't run at all without the serpentine belt, and if it breaks while the engine is running it can break some valves leaving you with a huge repair bill.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3494
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2018, 05:35:11 PM »
So #6 ignition coil failed on my van back on July 2 and I got it fixed at my buddy's shop after the 4th of July holiday.. Total bill came to $208  :speechless:
I could have done it myself but the coil was $160 which included a lifetime warranty.. Yet I found a set of 6 on ebay for under $50.
But if any ignition coil on the odd numbered cylinders fails, that will require removing the entire intake to get to them :-[

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2018, 10:40:52 PM »
But if any ignition coil on the odd numbered cylinders fails, that will require removing the entire intake to get to them :-[

Well that's a brilliant design.  ::)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2018, 02:14:21 AM »

Well that's a brilliant design.  ::)
I know right? THANKS OBAMA er Toyota! :angry:

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 196
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2018, 03:31:10 AM »
Oh yeah I forgot about this.  When I looked at the work order once the repairs were done, it was in fact the serpentine belt.

I'm amazed the engine still ran, but the car might be old enough that the belt only moved stuff like the water pump, alternator, and fan.  On newer cars they use that belt even for the overhead valves so the engine can't run at all without the serpentine belt, and if it breaks while the engine is running it can break some valves leaving you with a huge repair bill.

Me too.  I'm no expert on cars, but I always thought the serpentine belt was a pretty big deal.  I should ask my friend Linda what she thinks; she's pretty good with cars.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 157
« Reply #305 on: July 09, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »
Current vehicle has 180,000 miles on it. Last time I took it in for servicing they claimed it was totally out of anti-freeze and the head gasket was leaking. 4,000 miles later. Have been checking the coolant and motor oil regularly. No drop in levels of either. I'm thinking they forgot to fill the radiator when I had it flushed at the last servicing.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #306 on: July 09, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »
Current vehicle has 180,000 miles on it. Last time I took it in for servicing they claimed it was totally out of anti-freeze and the head gasket was leaking. 4,000 miles later. Have been checking the coolant and motor oil regularly. No drop in levels of either. I'm thinking they forgot to fill the radiator when I had it flushed at the last servicing.
Sounds like they're shady mechanics where ever that was you took it..  :-\
I wouldn't take your car back to them again.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #307 on: July 09, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
Dealership

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #308 on: July 09, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »
Dealership
Oh wow now that's crazy! :speechless:
Only time I go to the dealership is for warranty or recall issues..
Other than that I go to my friend's Precision Tune shop for all my vehicle maintenance work.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
Yeah. Have a local place I used to go to, but dealership was within walking distance from my work (when I was last working). Should probably take it to my local place for a second opinion, but hoping to get rid of it soon.

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 522
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #310 on: July 10, 2018, 04:27:05 AM »

Back when I had my first car, a Datsun 510, I had my mechanic (at the time) recommend flushing my coolant system. When I got the car back, there was water all over the passenger side floor. I took it back to them and they said I needed a new heater core. $500. I thought that sounded fishy, so I took it to another mechanic. He informed me that the idiots who did the flush blew the line leading into the heater core. He hooked it back up, no charge.

Guess which mechanic I go to now. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #311 on: August 10, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
 Traded in my Malibu for an Equinox, ever since getting that house I've been wanting something with more cargo room and easy access for stuff like bags of mulch.  So far liking it a lot, can't get used to the keyless starting and door opening.  I always used the remote to open the doors before but now as long as the fob is in my pocket I can open the door and start the engine by pressing buttons.  I know I'm going to leave it running at some point, engine is so quiet and without having to grab the key I know I'm going to forget to press the button to shut the engine off.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #312 on: August 10, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »
Yeah I'll probably never buy another compact/sedan car again myself..
My 07 Sienna minivan can haul a lot with the 3rd row seats laid down and I've even used the luggage rack a couple of times for long boards or an extension ladder..
My 99 Dodge Ram truck may be parked for now but it comes in handy from time to time for hauling 8)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #313 on: August 10, 2018, 04:46:17 PM »
Here's a picture, all downhill from here, just waiting for the first dings and scratches...   ;D

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #314 on: August 10, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »
Winter is Coming >:D