login

Author Topic: Car Talk  (Read 23028 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3246
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Car Talk
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
Yeah scrap value around $100 - $200 max is all I see it's worth..

Fuck! I really got my hopes up that I found a great deal and ssooo glad I didn't give any money down for this :(

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »
That sucks RVR.  If it was an LT1 Camaro you probably could have gotten 1000 for the engine.  There isnt any demand for the v6s.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
My plan is to have it sent back to her place via tow truck but so far she hasn't called us back..
Wonder why ::)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8260
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:48 PM »
Ok, the following facts are all completely true no matter how weird I get:

Back in 2008 I worked for a very evil cable company that rhymes with Cockcast. I purchased a 1997 Monte Carlo for $800 cash from a girl I worked with.
Her dad had recently fixed the car and she said he just wanted to get the car out of his driveway. Her father had not transferred the title to his name, so it was still in the name of the previous owner. They said "No problem. Like $40 and you can get it transferred over to you." and I was like "Great! Give me the keys! Vroom! Vroom!".
Then I promptly washed the jeans and completely dissolved the title in the pocket.  Tags expire back in 2009; I can't renew them. Now I have this dirty car in MY driveway. Oh, and the girl that sold it to me got fired and I can't contact her. I had a cop buddy run the plates and some serial number (VN number?) and he found the name of the person, but the address and number didn't pan out. The name matches some outdated insurance card I found in the trunk, though.

This isn't a tragedy. I rarely go outside and really have no need to drive. But if the zombie apocalypse strikes, I'd like a street legal car. Or at least sell the thing.
Do any of you car experts have any ideas whereby under the laws of Washington State I might get the title in my name?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:52:10 PM »
This is what I was going to do with that POS Camaro till I saw how trashed it was..

Talk to either a mechanic shop or towing service company and tell them you want them to apply for an 'Abandoned vehicle' for your car through the DMV.
Here in SC, It costs around $200 - $250 and take around 45 days to process and complete.

The title will then be sent to the shop and they can inturn sign it over to you so you can take it to the DMV and get it in your name.

Each state is different so if you have a connection in either the mechanic/body shop or towing business, they can probably help you out with this
8)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2286
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 12:01:11 AM »
I don't get it, the guy you bought it from didn't have the title in his name but somehow said it could be put in your name?  Only the title holder (or lien holder) can sign over the title to someone else.  Who did you give the $40 to?  Or you didn't get that far before washing it?

I guess it wasn't stolen if your cop buddy ran the VIN.

Guess your only option would be to find out what the state laws are on abandoned property.  If the owners can no longer be found and it's been sitting in your driveway for that long maybe it can be considered abandoned.  I know a landlord can usually sell abandoned property left by tenants after about a year.  (I see RVR just posted the same thing).

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 12:03:05 AM »
Guess your only option would be to find out what the state laws are on abandoned property.  If the owners can no longer be found and it's been sitting in your driveway for that long maybe it can be considered abandoned.  I know a landlord can usually sell abandoned property left by tenants after about a year.  (I see RVR just posted the same thing).
Great minds think alike 8)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8260
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:03 AM »
Cool. Thanks guys.  :)
I know that story sounds fishy, but it was just stupidity and greed on my part. My previous car had broke down and I needed something fast. I figured if I had an issue, I'd lean over her cubicle like Bill Lumbergh and ask her. I didn't see her getting fired so soon.

Oh, and I didn't pay the $40 bucks to anyone. She just kind of made an offhand remark that's what the title change would cost at the dept of licensing. I never got that far because I washed my jeans and destroyed the title.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:55:05 AM by Lembach »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »
$40 Is a normal cost for a title transfer.. If it's free and clean, but your situation is far from that and will require a bit more work to straighten out.. :o
Good luck!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 06:42:28 AM »
Dumb question, but can't you just call a vet group or a church and tell them the car is theirs if they come and get it?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 06:44:54 AM »
Dumb question, but can't you just call a vet group or a church and tell them the car is theirs if they come and get it?
Yeah you can donate it. Just sign off on the back of the title and write it off on your taxes
8)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 07:24:57 AM »
I think the moral of the story is don't wash your clothes.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 08:02:27 AM »
And find suckers to take your junkie cars off your hands....

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »
Called the wrecker and they're on the way to pick it up..

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 11:31:28 AM »
Clean out your fridge and toss your old food in there.   Old ham slices may fix the interior smell.