login

Author Topic: Marvel TV: 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' - The Thread  (Read 40703 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Joss Whedon's New Show for Marvel: 'S.H.I.E.L.D.'
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »
I think Angel did alright, but yeah, Buffy really suffered for it.  Season 6 was a depressing slog,

I quit watching Buffy early in season 6 because of that, only finished up the series when it started streaming on Netflix.

Not sure how I'll watch this one, I am so spoiled by streaming now I find it hard to watch a show on TV with all the commercials.  If it shows up on Amazon I might buy the season pass, might be worth it to pay $3/ep. just to avoid the commercials...

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5087
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:34 PM »
I think Angel did alright, but yeah, Buffy really suffered for it.  Season 6 was a depressing slog,

I quit watching Buffy early in season 6 because of that, only finished up the series when it started streaming on Netflix.

Not sure how I'll watch this one, I am so spoiled by streaming now I find it hard to watch a show on TV with all the commercials.  If it shows up on Amazon I might buy the season pass, might be worth it to pay $3/ep. just to avoid the commercials...

Funny... that "depressing slog" was a major thing that helped me process and come to terms with my losses from the third head injury (season 5's 'Joyce'/Buffy episode helped tremendously as well).
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
Don't get me wrong: there were some great episodes and a great last few episodes, but overall it just didn't feel fun like it used to.  And there were some real weak episodes (the 2 parter where Willow first starts getting addicted to magic and the Doublemeat Palace one, though I think there are some good ideas in that one).  I'm not saying all genre fiction needs to be fun, and I know it tries to deal with moving on, but an entire season of Buffy being in a funk is kind of annoying (which, to be fair, is also Joss' fault , since the was the thrust of the season).

That said, I am glad it spoke to you so strongly. I wouldn't deny anyone enjoying something just because I didn't.  And yeah, the Body was one of the best (and bleakest) episodes on any TV series.  In fact, Joss was surprised that so many people got hope out of such a dark episode, but I think the fact that it contains no platitudes and it has a lot of stuff that would relate to people going through loss.  No comfort, but a lot of empathy.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:20 PM »
Nothing whatsoever to do with S.H.I.E.L.D., all about Buffy, but related to last couple posts, so spoilered so as not to derail thread.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2013, 11:25:28 PM »

Hey, I'm glad it wasn't easy, but it made it very difficult to become invested in her.  It also hurt that the show seemed to have a VERY hard time knowing what to do with Dawn and while it makes sense that she would be a problem child, between her bad behaviour, Buffy's ennui and Willow's increasing badness (and another thing that doesn't make sense with her magic drunkenness: isn't her power supposed to represent her empowerment as a person and coming into her own?  Mixing metaphors is a bad idea, especially ones in very stark contrast), I found watching it feel like a chore.  There were some good episodes, but there was so much that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyhoo, have they announced if any of the other of Whedon's usual staple of writers are working on it?  I know the other 2 writers of Dr. Horrible are in it, but I'm hoping for Jane Espenson and Ben Edlund (creator of the Tick and current head writer of Supernatural, which I heard really came around largely because of him.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!

Offline goflyblind

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 7442
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
magneto? ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2013, 08:39:30 PM »
Cerebro?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2013, 10:12:44 PM »
Mook Cage.  They really wanted Spike Lee for the role.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2013, 09:03:44 PM »
So, did anyone watch it.  Any good?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »
I enjoyed it. It had the kind of snappy banter I expect from a Whedon show, a good Marvel-y vibe, and a compelling cast of characters. It's got lots of potential.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2013, 01:28:16 AM »
I second that: quite enjoyable.  While intense at times, it puts the fun back in action TV.

They did, however, give what I thought was a bit too much away with Agent Coulson (who it should be no surprise to anyone is back, given that he's been in virtually every ad or picture for the series, which are quite hard to avoid, even for a die-hard 'spoiler-avoider' such as myself).  As far as his return - by the way, LOVED the way it was handled for the episode! ;D - [spoiler is for what was said, as well as my theory on what likely is behind what was said]...

Despite that, I am anxious to see more.  Honestly, this is the first show in a LONG time where I could see myself rewatching episodes within 24 hours of their first airing.  [Last time I remember doing that was with Buffy, season 5.]

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: Joss Whedon's Show for Marvel: 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' - The Thread
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
I haven't seen the ep but
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2013, 02:39:40 AM »
It appears that networks were realizing that AMC, TNT, etc were getting all the shows that had the good writers and actors and are stepping up their games.  Some of America is not brain dead and we won't watch idiotic "reality" shows and crappy musical talent shows.

I was pleased.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2013, 05:54:11 AM »
I haven't seen the ep but
I would absolutely LOVE that if that were the case.