Author Topic: Marvel TV: 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' - The Thread  (Read 38640 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4929
Re: Joss Whedon's New Show for Marvel
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
Ming-Na Wen joins cast of Marvel's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' TV series

In more exciting Marvel news, Ming-Na Wen has been cast in "S.H.I.E.L.D.", the TV spin-off of "The Avengers" created by Joss Whedon for ABC. Ming-Na has been cast as Agent Melinda May alongside leading man and fan favorite Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson.

Deadline reports that Ming-Na Wen is the second official cast member to be announced for "S.H.I.E.L.D." Her character was originally named Althea Rice in the pilot's casting breakdown. Melinda May is described as a "hard-core soldier [who] has crazy skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged."

You'll recognize Ming-Na Wen from her work on "ER", "Eureka", and "Stargate Universe."

Shortly after the overwhelming success of "The Avengers" it was announced that Marvel had hired Whedon on to develop a TV series set in the Marvel cinematic universe. Thus "S.H.I.E.L.D." was born, and Whedon will be writing and directing the pilot with his "Dollhouse" and "Dr. Horrible" cohorts (and brother and sister-in-law) Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

According to Whedon, "S.H.I.E.L.D." will function autonomously from "The Avengers" and focus on the international covert operation behind the superheroes. There are no details yet on when the show will premiere.

I still can't comprehend why they changed the character's name ::)... and if they did, why they didn't just change it to "Althea Chop Suey".
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:02:35 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6257
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »
It would be interesting if one of the end credit scenes was a teaser for the show, rather than the next movie.

Or the opening shot in the show is of low-ranking S.H.I.E.L.D. agents cleaning up the mess left at the schawarma restaurant. ;D

I really hope the pilot (since pilots have bigger budgets traditionally) it really opens with them CSI-ing in the aftermath of a superhero battle, it would be a fun perspective to establish them.

We already got a peek of something like that with the short film on the Avengers disc. If the series is similar to that I think I'd be happy.
Was that the one with the bank robber couple with the alien gun? Who was that guy supposed to be? I didn't recognize his name.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5889
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »

Not to get all "FIRST!!!!11!!1" on ya, but I did report that the day before.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »

Not to get all "FIRST!!!!11!!1" on ya, but I did report that the day before.

Another sign of the condition I'm in: I read what you posted, noted the picture, and completely forgot it by just a few hours later. :(
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
Since I have no intention of stopping in the politics thread, I thought I'd post this here.  It is a tongue in cheek endorsement of Romney by Joss Whedon and is quite amusing.
<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/6TiXUF9xbTo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/6TiXUF9xbTo</a>

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »
Joss Whedon's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' pilot adds two new agents to the cast

"The Avengers" TV spin-off "S.H.I.E.L.D." has gotten two new cast members with Elizabeth Henstridge and Iain De Caestecker. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Henstridge and De Caestecker will play Agent Gemma Simmons and Agent Leo Fitz, respectively, in Joss Whedon's new TV show for Marvel and ABC.

Henstridge and De Caestecker join Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson and Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May.

According to an early casting call, Agents Fitz and Simmons were described as "like a brother and sister who always bicker and annoy one another. They came up together and are masters in their fields: Fitz is good with weapons and gadgets while Simmons is into science. And during the show, Agent Simmons and Agent Fitz will apparently be given the nickname 'Fitz-Simmons.'"

"S.H.I.E.L.D." will chronicle the day-to-day activities of the Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistic Directorate, which was introduced to the Marvel cinematic universe through "Iron Man" and "Thor," and then played a key role in "The Avengers." The TV series will be helmed by Joss Whedon and his "Dr. Horrible" and "Dollhouse" cohorts Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 09:59:15 PM »
'S.H.I.E.L.D.' will be a sequel to 'The Avengers,' not a prequel (Photos)

[[SPOILER IS FOR PIVOTAL EVENT IN 'THE AVENGERS'.  -LucasM]]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Funny thing was, I always thought it was going to be taking place after The Avengers; never before (as the article states "most fans" did).  I proposed something in The Avengers thread (in a spoiler) that I have since had some doubts about [having seen The Avengers enough times now to have noticed something I missed in the film: "red" instead of "black" as I'd thought it was... (ambiguous enough to not spoil, I hope); though that color difference doesn't change the possibility the underlying idea may still be possible].

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »
In "barely even news" news, the show will "very likely" get picked up, according to ABC President Paul Lee.  I kind of just assumed when they announced "Joss Whedon works on Marvel show after Joss Whedon works on the Avengers and makes all the money."

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2013, 12:44:19 PM »
Can you imagine how bad that pilot episode would have to be for this not to get picked up?  Ed Wood's zombie could Direct this shit and it'll get picked up, yo.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2013, 01:11:39 PM »
Can you imagine how bad that pilot episode would have to be for this not to get picked up?  Ed Wood's zombie could Direct this shit and it'll get picked up, yo.
Unless they're concerned about it tarnashing the movies. Wouldn't want anything lessening the anticipation for the upcoming movies, now would we?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »
Unless they're concerned about it tarnashing the movies. Wouldn't want anything lessening the anticipation for the upcoming movies, now would we?

"JESUS JOSS!?  WHY DOES THE HULK KEEP RAPING EVERYONE?!"

"Is that too far out of our budget range?"

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1387
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2013, 10:42:30 PM »

Well it's not like Joss has had issues with networks not understanding or appreciating his work historically.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »
Cobie Smulders might appear in 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' as Agent Maria Hill

In an interview with I Am Rogue, "The Avengers" actress Cobie Smulders revealed that there's a chance she'll be reprising her role as Agent Maria Hill in the "S.H.I.E.L.D." TV series.

According to IAR, when asked if she would be expected to appear on "S.H.I.E.L.D." in some capacity, Smulders responded, "The commitments to ['How I Met Your Mother'] don’t affect it. And I can’t really say but there are definite talks about it."

"S.H.I.E.L.D." will star Smulders's "The Avengers" co-star Clark Gregg as the eponymous Agent Phil Coulson. The show is being developed by "The Avengers" writer and director Joss Whedon, along with his frequent collaborators Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

Whether or not she shows up on the TV show, Smulders is firmly ensconced in the Marvel cinematic universe now as Agent Maria Hill, and she's set to appear in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" in 2014. Principal photography on the "Captain America" sequel begins this March. As to her continuing role in the Marvel cinematic universe, Smulders told IAR, "Oh yeah! I’m very excited. I will do Maria Hill until they fire me and hire someone else to do it."
Cobie Smulders might appear in 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' as Agent Maria Hill

Larger source article:
IAR EXCLUSIVE: Cobie Smulders Talks 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier and 'S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Series
In this article, it also said...
At the moment, however, Whedon is directing the pilot episode of a S.H.I.E.L.D. television series for ABC.
So he's already hard at work with the actual filming already.  Maybe a Summer season start for it?  After the writer's strike disrupted so much, there was some talk of redistributing season starts through the year (not that much has occurred with that plan on broadcast stations).

It'd be nice to have the Agent Coulson/Agent Hill combo at the core of the series.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:02:49 PM by LucasM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
Cobie Smulders wasn't all that great in her bits in the theatrical cut, and she's downright aweful in the deleted scenes. I would be perfectly okay with her being recast, or a different character filling in her role.

Online RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2399
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »
Cobie Smulders wasn't all that great in her bits in the theatrical cut, and she's downright aweful in the deleted scenes. I would be perfectly okay with her being recast, or a different character filling in her role.

Really?  I agree the deleted scenes weren't very good, but I blamed that on the scenes and not her.  I thought she did fine as an agent.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky