Author Topic: LoC #63: Top 50 Songs from Movies  (Read 55763 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: LoC #63: Top 50 Songs from Movies
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
#20: Holiday Road
43 Points (On 3 of 19 lists)
Highest Placement: #7 by ScottotD

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jY9xZoKiBgU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jY9xZoKiBgU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Featured In: National Lampoon's Vacation

Composer/Lyricist: Lindsey Buckingham

Performer: Lindsey Buckingham

Description:
"Holiday Road" is a 1983 single written and recorded by Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham. The song was featured in the 1983 film National Lampoon's Vacation and was played during the opening titles. The song was also used in the sequels National Lampoon's European Vacation and Vegas Vacation. The song peaked at #82 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1983.

Lindsey Buckingham has released a live version of the song on his 2008 album Live at the Bass Performance Hall.

Jimmy Fallon, guest Rashida Jones, and The Roots performed the song live on the November 26, 2009 episode of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

At The Aquabats' holiday shows in 2009, the band distributed a free CD single of a cover of the song to all attendees. In 2011, the song was used as the music on television advertising for Teletext Holidays in the United Kingdom and subsequently made UK #168 from the live download of the song; it became Buckingham's first UK "hit" of sorts in nearly 30 years.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
Can't believe I forgot Holiday Road!  Love that song
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
#19: Layla
43 Points (On 4 of 19 lists)
Highest Placement: #9 by DB Barnes

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BbwFXngs9Lw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BbwFXngs9Lw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Featured In: Goodfellas

Composer/Lyricist: Eric Clapton & Jim Gordon

Performer: Derek and the Dominoes

Description:
Martin Scorsese chose the songs for Goodfellas only if they commented on the scene or the characters "in an oblique way". The only rule he adhered to with the soundtrack was to only use music which could have been heard at that time.

For example, if a scene took place in 1973, he could use any song that was current or older. According to Scorsese, a lot of non-dialogue scenes were shot to playback. For example, he had "Layla" playing on the set while shooting the scene where the dead bodies are discovered in the car and the meat-truck. Sometimes, the lyrics of songs were put between lines of dialogue to comment on the action.

Some of the music Scorsese had written into the script while other songs he discovered during the editing phase. There is no music once Henry Hill is arrested in his driveway by the DEA, until the end credits.

"Layla" is a song written by Eric Clapton and Jim Gordon, originally released by their blues rock band Derek and the Dominos, as the thirteenth track from their album Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (December 1970). It is considered one of rock music's definitive love songs, featuring an unmistakable guitar figure played by Eric Clapton and Duane Allman, and a piano coda that comprises the second half of the song. Its famously contrasting movements were composed separately by Clapton and Gordon.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:38:34 PM by wurwolf »
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
#18: Mad World
44 Points (On 2 of 19 lists)
Highest Placement: #1 by George Harrison

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DR91Rj1ZN1M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DR91Rj1ZN1M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Featured In: Donnie Darko

Composer/Lyricist: Roland Orzabal

Performer: Gary Jules

Description:
"Mad World" is a song by the British band Tears for Fears. Written by Roland Orzabal and sung by bassist Curt Smith, it was the band's third single release and first chart hit, reaching #3 on the UK Singles Chart in November 1982. Both Mad World and its B-side, "Ideas As Opiates", would turn up on the band's debut LP The Hurting the following year. The song would eventually become Tears for Fears' first international hit, reaching the Top 40 in several countries between 1982 and 1983.

Two decades later, the song made a popular resurgence when it was covered in a much slower, minimalist style by composers Michael Andrews and Gary Jules for the soundtrack to the movie Donnie Darko in 2001, and then again in the hit 2006 video game Gears of War. This version reached #1 in the UK in December 2003, and also became an international hit.

Like many of his role models for soundtrack composing such as John Barry and Ennio Morricone, Michael Andrews wanted to put a song on his otherwise instrumental score. He eventually chose "Mad World" (1982) by Tears for Fears, who were one of his and childhood friend Gary Jules' favourite bands while growing up. Andrews enlisted Jules to sing the song, while Andrews himself played the piano.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »
I'm surprised "Mad World" wasn't on more lists. George Harrison had it as his #1 and I had it as #7 on mine.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Zombie Monty

« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
I'm surprised "Mad World" wasn't on more lists. George Harrison had it as his #1 and I had it as #7 on mine.

I love that version of the song, but have never seen Donnie Darko.  Otherwise it probably would have made my list.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »
#17: Don't Stop Me Now
46 Points (On 3 of 19 lists)
Highest Placement: #2 by goflyblind

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HgzGwKwLmgM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HgzGwKwLmgM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Featured In: Shaun of the Dead

Composer/Lyricist: Freddie Mercury

Performer: Queen

Description:
"Don't Stop Me Now" is a song by English rock group Queen, featured on their 1978 album Jazz. Written by vocalist Freddie Mercury, it was recorded in August/September 1978 at Super Bear Studios in Berre-les-Alpes (Alpes-Maritimes), France, and is the twelfth track on the album.

Musically, the song is based around Mercury's piano playing, with John Deacon and Roger Taylor providing a bass guitar and drums backing track. The song also provides an example of Queen's trademark style of multitrack harmony vocals for the chorus lines.

The 2004 horror/comedy Shaun of the Dead features the song near the middle of the film. The song is played on a jukebox in the Winchester pub as three of the main characters circle around the zombie pub landlord while hitting him over the head with pool cues in rhythm with the song, leading Shaun to utter the line; "David, kill the Queen!" Also, during the song, various things happen to the beat of the music, such as lights flashing. Thematically, the song is ironic, as its upbeat feel completely contradicts the protagonists' no-win scenario when it accidentally is played on jukebox. On the DVD Scene Selection the scene is called Killer Queen, another one of Queen's songs. "You're My Best Friend" was also featured in the film during the closing credits.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7121
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »
#17: Don't Stop Me Now
Featured In: Shaun of the Dead

in context: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsHXpEuxX0

SCREW YOU EMBEDDING DISABLED VIDEOS :angry:
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
#16: Mrs. Robinson
47 Points (On 4 of 19 lists)
Highest Placement: #4 by Mrs. Dick Courier

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ajtpaMkLu_k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ajtpaMkLu_k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Featured In: The Graduate

Composer/Lyricist: Paul Simon

Performer: Simon & Garfunkel

Description:
"Mrs. Robinson" is a song written by Paul Simon and first performed by Simon & Garfunkel. When released as a single in 1968, it hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the US, for their second chart-topping hit after "The Sound of Silence". An early version of the song appeared in the motion picture The Graduate (1967) and its subsequent soundtrack, while the complete song debuted on their album Bookends (1968). The song earned the duo a Grammy Award for Record of the Year in 1969.

In the film The Graduate, listless recent college graduate Benjamin Braddock has an affair with an older married woman, Mrs. Robinson. The song as it appears in the film is different from the familiar hit single version, as only the chorus of the song appears late in the film and with slightly different lyrics: "Stand up tall, Mrs. Robinson, God in heaven smiles on those who pray." It was only later on that Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel re-recorded the song by employing additional lyrics to form the hit single.

According to a Variety article by Peter Bart in the May 15, 2005 issue, director Mike Nichols had become obsessed with Simon & Garfunkel's music while shooting the film. Larry Turman, his producer, made a deal for Simon to write three new songs for the movie. By the time they were nearly finished editing the film, Simon had only written one new song. Nichols begged him for more but Simon, who was touring constantly, told him he didn't have the time. He did play him a few notes of a new song he had been working on; "It's not for the movie ... it's a song about times past – about Mrs. Roosevelt and Joe DiMaggio and stuff." Nichols advised Simon, "It's now about Mrs. Robinson, not Mrs. Roosevelt." During an appearance on Dick Cavett's television show, Simon told the story of how the song was originally called "Mrs. Roosevelt," to which Cavett quipped: "That would have changed the plot of the movie."
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Russell

« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »
I am now convinced there are FAR too many great movie songs to come up with a truly definitive list. My list is pretty far removed from anything everyone else has voted for.. and I know my list is fairly damn good.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3699
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »
Or not enough. I find that when I'm not seeing a big showing at the beginning of the list, there's usually a huge showing up at the top.

Offline Smoky

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2012, 05:06:20 PM »

I meant to put it on mine. I guess I must have forgotten. Ah, well.

I am now convinced there are FAR too many great movie songs to come up with a truly definitive list.

Definitely.
I know you are but what am I

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »
There are two too many from Donnie Darko.   :angry:
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Russell

« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
I am now convinced there are FAR too many great movie songs to come up with a truly definitive list. My list is pretty far removed from anything everyone else has voted for.. and I know my list is fairly damn good.
Sometimes people have too much confidence in themselves.
What I mean to say is that we could do this list like 10 more times and all 50 entries may not re-appear more than a few times in each list.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2012, 06:20:07 PM »
Sometimes people have too much confidence in themselves.
What I mean to say is that we could do this list like 10 more times and all 50 entries may not re-appear more than a few times in each list.

I agree. There were a few movies that were well represented and that wasn't a surprise given the type of people we have here at the forum, but this list was really widespread. It wasn't like the top 50 comics where there's pretty much a limited size pool to choose from; this subject matter is huge.
Bonhead #2
fs!!