Author Topic: LoC #63: Top 50 Songs from Movies  (Read 56007 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 959
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
Re: LoC #63: Top 50 Songs from Movies
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2012, 06:44:53 PM »
y
I am now convinced there are FAR too many great movie songs to come up with a truly definitive list. My list is pretty far removed from anything everyone else has voted for.. and I know my list is fairly damn good.
Sometimes people have too much confidence in themselves.
What I mean to say is that we could do this list like 10 more times and all 50 entries may not re-appear more than a few times in each list.

I agree. There were a few movies that were well represented and that wasn't a surprise given the type of people we have here at the forum, but this list was really widespread. It wasn't like the top 50 comics where there's pretty much a limited size pool to choose from; this subject matter is huge.

Yeah, I can't help but notice that no entry thus far has had more than four votes. I have a couple more that might make it, but that's pretty much it. I wish I had put "The Sun Whose Rays are All Ablaze" much higher in retrospect. If that was going to make it, it would have by now. I do still hold hope for my #1 though.

And wurwolf, I don't know why you were so worried about doing this list. Seems to me you've done a great job. In the year or so I've been participating, this has been one of my favorite lists to date.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »
Thank you, I appreciate that. :)

When this list is over I'm going to count up all of the different songs that people put on their lists. I don't remember what the final number was but it was huge.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »
Thank you, I appreciate that. :)

When this list is over I'm going to count up all of the different songs that people put on their lists. I don't remember what the final number was but it was huge.

Must have been at least 30 or 40 songs, I bet.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
You must have been a fart face.

Why you gotta test me?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »

And wurwolf, I don't know why you were so worried about doing this list. Seems to me you've done a great job. In the year or so I've been participating, this has been one of my favorite lists to date.

Agreed.  Definitely doing a great job for a first time host.  I hope it inspires you to take the wheel again in the future.

#17: Don't Stop Me Now
Featured In: Shaun of the Dead

in context: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsHXpEuxX0

SCREW YOU EMBEDDING DISABLED VIDEOS :angry:

I love the song; forgot it was even in Shaun.

Great scene, but mostly I was choosing songs that either were made for the movie or covered for the movie, rather than pre-existing songs used to enhance a scene.  Of course, one could argue that it adds something in a percussive sense.  BTW, I certainly hope these aren't the last Queen songs.

#16: Mrs. Robinson
47 Points (On 4 of 19 lists)
Highest Placement: #4 by Mrs. Dick Courier

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ajtpaMkLu_k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ajtpaMkLu_k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Featured In: The Graduate

Composer/Lyricist: Paul Simon

Performer: Simon & Garfunkel

Another movie I really need to see.  I think I've been putting it off because I intended to watch it with my mother, who has fond memories of it.

Russell

« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2012, 08:40:30 PM »

Another movie I really need to see.  I think I've been putting it off because I intended to watch it with my mother, who has fond memories of it.

Is this a joke? Because it seems like it could be...not a great idea.
That could be uncomfortable... but not nearly as uncomfortable as watching A Serbian Film with any other member of your family in the same room.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »

At least it wasn't Loverboy.

EDIT: The film, not the band.  Though either/or I suppose.

MightyJack

« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
And there are my picks from Donnie Darko and The Graduate ;) I know Mad World has been played to death in sad scenes on TV and movies, but the first I saw it was on Darko and it packed a punch. Very haunting, very effectively used in the film.

Mrs. Robinson was another that was used to perfection, I like how it was adapted for that scene in the Graduate. With the guitar chugging... down... slowly... as the car...

As to the composition of this list: I didn't do any instrumentals on mine. I made that choice in order to help me cut it down to 25. But I think we could have done two of these simultaneously, one with lyrics, one with just music. I could have complied 25 for each quite easily.

Oh, and when your done watching the Graduate with mom... pop on Last Tango in Paris. It'll be fun, trust me!

Would I steer you wrong? ;) (actually that would make a good LOC - top 50 uncomfortable movie experiences when watching with your parents or grandparents)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:07:04 PM by George Harrison »

« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »
Next up to watch with your mom: Irreversible.

« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2012, 06:14:50 AM »

At least it wasn't Loverboy.

EDIT: The film, not the band.  Though either/or I suppose.

So you're not Working for the Weekend?

I thought everyone was doing that?

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2012, 06:24:02 AM »
  BTW, I certainly hope these aren't the last Queen songs.

Holy shit, you have no idea.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2012, 06:53:03 AM »
BTW, if they ever do another Barbarella movie, the only song that could ever work in the opening and ending credits and all the way through is...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Ti2P_z5IPw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1Ti2P_z5IPw</a>

Don't even try to argue this because you know how right I am.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2012, 07:00:57 AM »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2012, 07:07:19 AM »
Glad I could inspire.  BTW, I think that kind of stuff ALL the time, so I will contribute often.  BTW, if I remember, I know the perfect song for if Wes Anderson directed an Addams Family movie.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:11:21 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2012, 07:08:56 AM »
Awesome, I think about those sort of pairings fairly often too, I've considered making a post about it before but this seemed the best time. :)