Author Topic: Xanadu, Can't Stop the Music and The Apple  (Read 3844 times)

Offline zoidbergMD

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Xanadu, Can't Stop the Music and The Apple
« on: March 07, 2007, 08:42:57 AM »
Any one of the legendary bad musicals of 1980 is prime Rifftrax material.  A three-film marathon would almost be too much to take, though I'm willing to try.

"Hey hey hey!  BIM's on it's way!"

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Xanadu, Can't Stop the Music and The Apple
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:33:18 PM »
You forgot to include Sgt. Pepper.

The only other problem is that Mike and the guys do want people to buy the Rifftrax. Most people aren't going to have a copy of any of these sitting around. (Unless they're me.) And I don't think Blockbuster or many other video stores are going to have very many, if any, copies for rent.  And while I might be able to justify paying $3 for the trax and another $6-$10 for the movie, I don't know how many others will.

Offline zoidbergMD

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 06:50:01 AM »
I'm not sure about Xanadu or The Apple, but I got my copy of Can't Stop the Music for less than five bucks at a discount store.

I watched The Apple last night, and it's almost like they made it with MST3K in mind.  It is that bad (and therefore good).  DO THE BIM!

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 08:28:50 AM »
I would cry if Gene Kelly got riffed.  :'( I've adored him since I was twelve years old. Yeah, Xanadu was a terrible decision, but he made enough brilliant ones prior to that to make up for it!
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »
I wonder if they could get rights to distribute _The Apple_ as VOD?

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »
You forgot to include Sgt. Pepper.

The only other problem is that Mike and the guys do want people to buy the Rifftrax. Most people aren't going to have a copy of any of these sitting around. (Unless they're me.) And I don't think Blockbuster or many other video stores are going to have very many, if any, copies for rent.  And while I might be able to justify paying $3 for the trax and another $6-$10 for the movie, I don't know how many others will.

this is the fate of at least 80% of the movies posted here
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Zeether

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:31 AM »
The Apple's trailer was enough to make me start shouting riffs. Needs to be done.
"Don't make me shoot you...CROOOOOOOOOW!"

Offline Kodoszardoz

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 6
  • "Lisa Loeb? I thought she was Courtney Hole!"
    • Meet In The Lobby
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 12:48:09 AM »
I would definitely add "The Pirate Movie" to that list of bad 80's musicals.  Absolutely terrible.  I'm sure they'd let Mike, Kevin, and Bill get the film for cheap.  Believe me, NO ONE is buying that movie. If there are people out there who own a copy, I never want to meet them.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 276
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »
"Take a little chance, Get into a trance, And join me in the apple dance. "

How about NO! We just watched the horribleness that is "The Apple", and give it a thumbs down for riffability. A lot of goofy stuff happens, but it's completely uninteresting. "You'll be hypnotized, And you'll be demonized, But you'll be paralyzed." Exactly.

Offline Zeether

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:09:21 AM »
The "Hey hey hey, BIM's on the way" song is begging for a reference to "smoke weed everyday" from that one Dr. Dre song.
"Don't make me shoot you...CROOOOOOOOOW!"

Offline Mass Riffer Mafia

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 12:29:23 AM »
I would cry if Gene Kelly got riffed.  :'( I've adored him since I was twelve years old. Yeah, Xanadu was a terrible decision, but he made enough brilliant ones prior to that to make up for it!

There is an alternative, VIVA KNIEVEL!

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 02:28:29 AM »
I'm going to pipe up with an unusual opinion:

Xanadu is not a bad movie.

It's an inconsequential movie, it's a dated movie, it's a flawed movie - but it's not a bad movie. And in fact, even its flaws aren't that bad. Take out the overlong Big Band vs. Rock battle of the bands sequence, and replace the roller skating with normal dancing, and there's really very little wrong left with it. The music (which is prog rock, not disco) isn't bad at all, much of the dancing is excellent, and the performances are fine. It's not exactly the most weighty film ever, but not everything has to be. Frankly, if I'd been old enough to date in 1980, Xanadu would have been a perfectly nice "date movie" to take a girl to.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 276
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
I'm going to pipe up with an unusual opinion:

Xanadu is not a bad movie.

It's an inconsequential movie, it's a dated movie, it's a flawed movie - but it's not a bad movie. And in fact, even its flaws aren't that bad. Take out the overlong Big Band vs. Rock battle of the bands sequence, and replace the roller skating with normal dancing, and there's really very little wrong left with it. The music (which is prog rock, not disco) isn't bad at all, much of the dancing is excellent, and the performances are fine. It's not exactly the most weighty film ever, but not everything has to be. Frankly, if I'd been old enough to date in 1980, Xanadu would have been a perfectly nice "date movie" to take a girl to.

Although I agree it's not as bad as its reputation, I disagree that it's "not bad." As a movie, it is really bad; especially the plot and the acting. It would have made a better play, where performance (e.g., dancing and singing) is more important than plot.

However, the music is really good. I have to admit that we owned the album back then.

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
they got The Apple as a VOD, maybe they can do Can't Stop the Music
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:36:21 PM by pstokely »

Offline Locuststakethesky

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 121
  • Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should.
    • Book of Face
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 07:37:38 AM »
I wonder if they could get rights to distribute _The Apple_ as VOD?

BAM, happened.

There is an alternative, VIVA KNIEVEL!

BAM, happened.

Apparently this was the thread for people with precognitive abilities.  But as great as The Apple was, I'm not cheering for another musical any time soon.  Give me plenty of time to recover.