Author Topic: Mars Science Laboratory: NASA Is Going To Land A Small Car On Mars!  (Read 12670 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Mars Science Laboratory: NASA Is Going To Land A Small Car On Mars!
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »
Amazing how much like earth this place looks.    Never really imagined that before.
Wasn't there talk a while ago about these pictures being color corrected from cameras that don' take pictures of the spectrums we see with?

Yup, but they have gotten pretty good at correcting the colors back here on earth.  The other thing I don't think I mentioned in that previous discussion is that they usually put color targets on top of the rovers, take pictures of them and then they know how to do the corrections to replicate the real colors.  Not sure they did that with this mission because the landing kicked up so much dust the color targets would have been contaminated right away.

Just to back up Marty, this image showed up yesterday:

That's what NASA uses to calibrate the camera:
The calibration target for the Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) instrument includes color references, a metric bar graphic, a 1909 VDB Lincoln penny, and a stair-step pattern for depth calibration. The penny is a nod to geologists' tradition of placing a coin or other object of known scale as a size reference in close-up photographs of rocks, and it gives the public a familiar object for perceiving size easily when it will be viewed by MAHLI on Mars

Here's what that piece looks like back on Earth:

Since we know what it looks like here and we know what it looks like on Mars, we can extrapolate  fairly easily.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2012, 04:16:34 PM »
These photos are something I never thought I would see in my life......wonderful and I appreciate you guys showing them.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5009
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
We sent a Penny to Mars WHOAH!! :o

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6580
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
Why such an old penny? It seems oddly specific.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2012, 05:47:18 PM »
Why such an old penny? It seems oddly specific.
Maybe being that it was made of pure copper back then might have something to do with helping calibrate the lens ???

Just a wild guess there.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7358
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
If you calculate the share of the voyage's cost which is attributable to the 2.5-gram penny, it comes out at $7,000, according to Gizmodo. Pennies are traditionally used by geologists to provide a sense of scale in their pictures. Even though Curiosity has other, more sophisticated calibrators, NASA has still included the penny in homage to the scientific custom.
And this penny is not just any coin - it was minted in 1909, when the Lincoln design was first instituted on the 100th anniversary of the Great Emancipator. The coin is a 'VDB cent', marked with the initials of its designer Victor David Brenner. It was bought for Curiosity by MAHLI engineer Ken Edgett, who personally donated it to the Mars mission.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2200120/Penny-helping-Curiosity-explore-surface-Mars.html
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »
OOOHH :o

Neat! As a History major AND Geology minor, I proly should've known that .. :-[
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:02:47 PM by RVR II »

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2012, 06:23:38 PM »
Golfy knows all! (it's kind of spooky)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3094
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
Cool, I figured they had to have put a calibration target somewhere, looks like it was tucked away inside during the landing so it didn't get covered with dust.

And a minor pet peve, in the USA we don't mint a penny, we have the cent.  There was this little thing called the revolutionary war that broke us away from the penny.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »
NASA's Messenger, which launched in 2004 and started its orbit around Mercury in March of 2011, has confirmed the existence of water ice in the deep craters of Mercury's poles. The data suggests that there are billions of tons of water ice, rather than just trace amounts.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120886-NASA-Confirms-Ice-at-Mercurys-Pole?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news

"Water ice"?  What, did they find a Rita's on mars?

In my head I can't help but read it as "wuter ice" in that article, thanks to my friend's PA accent. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »
NASA's Messenger, which launched in 2004 and started its orbit around Mercury in March of 2011, has confirmed the existence of water ice in the deep craters of Mercury's poles. The data suggests that there are billions of tons of water ice, rather than just trace amounts.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120886-NASA-Confirms-Ice-at-Mercurys-Pole?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news

"Water ice"?  What, did they find a Rita's on mars?

In my head I can't help but read it as "wuter ice" in that article, thanks to my friend's PA accent.

It's just amazing there could be ice anywhere on Mercury, you would think with it being so close to the sun the entire planet would warm up enough to get rid of it over time.  But it just shows how cold it gets in a vacuum in the shadows.

Ah, Rita's, there's one a few blocks from me.

Yeah, for planets they have to say what type of ice it is, get cold enough and you can have carbon dioxide, methane, or even nitrogen ice.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2012, 11:26:48 AM »
NASA needs to stop all this, "groundbreaking discovery! Will change history books!" The general public will always take that the wrong way. NASA, consider this my application for doing public outreach.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »
 Talk about hyping nothing.  The big news from Curiosity is that they don't really know what they found. 

They cooked a perchlorate sample and detected traces of chlorinated methane.
 That's pretty close to useless data.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
WHICH contains carbon... If it turns out not to be contamination from earth, or another planet.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »
Plain old carbon is irrelevant, there is plenty of carbon on most of the planets that have an atmosphere.  Mars has loads of carbon dioxide in it's atmosphere and even more of it frozen at the poles.  The outer planets are loaded with methane and other small hydrocarbons.  Comets have hydrocarbons.   All that ice on Mercury looks like it has a layer of hydrocarbons on it that came from comets (as did the ice most likely).

They need to find way more specific types of carbon to even think about saying they could have been used to support life.  And even more specific types to speculate if life existed.