login

Author Topic: LoC #62 - Top 50 Tabletop Games  (Read 40551 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3142
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: LoC #62 - Top 50 Tabletop Games
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Ooooh! I can't believe I forgot Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots!

Also, great list, Compound! Every entry was lovingly crafted and I read every one!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 987
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »

9.   Pass the Pigs (you roll pigs -- what is wrong with you people?)

D'oh. I meant to write a supplemental entry on "Pass the Pigs/ Pigmania" but it slipped my mind. Oh well. (I have a German copy of the game a few feet away from me. I think my rationale in buying it was "Wow! A German copy of Pass the Pigs! It must be mine!")

And Cole was also the only person to give Palladium any love with his vote for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles And Other Strangeness.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3142
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »
Incidentally, #26 - Ticket to Ride just happens to be Steam's deal of the day. If you want a cheap PC version to try it, it's only $5 for the next 15 hours.

Sounds like destiny. I think I will...

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »
Good list, I love Monopoly, but I'm surprised it beat out Chess.  Even though I've never played chess.

Most of mine were on the list, and some I've never heard of that I'll have to check out.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 725
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »
I don't think I've ever actually finished a game of Monopoly. Not as per the official rules anyway. We'd usually just set a time limit, and whoever was ahead when time was up was declared the winner. And I've only ever met one person who actually used the "auction" rule. Which is where any time any player lands on an unowned property, and they decide not to buy it at list price, it goes to auction, and whoever bids the highest gets it. This causes all the properties to be bought up very quickly.

But my main problem with Monopoly, is that if it's played by the "real" rules, the game gets very boring once everything's been bought, all the trades have been made and everything's been monopolized by somebody. Then you just go around the board over and over waiting to see who gets knocked out first.

I'm really disappointed Survive! didn't make it. He's a video explaining the current version, Survive: Escape from Atlantis. The original, which is what I have, is only slightly different.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/R31hK2IQZsk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/R31hK2IQZsk</a>

One of the main things I like about this game is that once the Pawns are placed, you're not allowed to look at anyones's point value. So you have remember which ones are the ones worth saving, and guess, or deduce, which of the opposing players pieces you should kill off.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2012, 05:39:05 AM »
anyone else vote for atmosfear?  that game was huge for us kids in the 90s i recall.  vhs technology at its best.  i shoulda voted for the pigs we have that game
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
Wonderful stuff, Compound!

And I have finished every game of Monopoly I've ever played. One time that meant postpoing the game for weeks until we could all meet back again. We had a neutral party keep the board preserved, ala that Risk episode of Seinfeld.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »
For those who havent played it, Dominion is an awesome game.  Anyone who liked magic would enjoy it, without getting into the lets pay millions of dollars to play.  Quite fun.  My only problem with it is that its really only playable for about 3 to 4 people.  Over that gets weird, and two people its kinda dull. 

PS shame Axis and Allies didnt make the list. 

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 987
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2012, 04:14:52 PM »
Holy cow! Sarc's alive!

• Compsognathus
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
Mostly hehe. 

Coragale

« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »
For those who havent played it, Dominion is an awesome game.  Anyone who liked magic would enjoy it, without getting into the lets pay millions of dollars to play.  Quite fun.  My only problem with it is that its really only playable for about 3 to 4 people.  Over that gets weird, and two people its kinda dull. 

PS shame Axis and Allies didnt make the list. 

I like Magic, and I don't like Dominion. Don't know what it is, but I generally can't get into most of these games. I like D&D, Pathfinder, and the like, and I like Magic, but I can't wrap my head around board games or table top games.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2012, 05:25:50 PM »
But dominion is a card game at its heart.   The entire premise built on good deck building, where you are balancing trying to get a working deck and having as many game winning cards (since the way the game works those two elements work against each other)

Coragale

« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »
But dominion is a card game at its heart.   The entire premise built on good deck building, where you are balancing trying to get a working deck and having as many game winning cards (since the way the game works those two elements work against each other)

I understand where you're coming from, but I have not once felt the same way about a game of Dominion as I have about a game of Magic. Dominion just bores me.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
Fair enough, magic is a better game.  Just more expensive and time consuming.  So much so that ill never get back into again, cest le vie.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »

Were there expansions for >4 players? Or did you just shove an extra guy in? A friend who's studying (video) game design and I tried to engineer a good 2-player set (http://www.dominiondeck.com/games/duel-set-made-two-players), and I think it worked pretty well. But generally, yeah, exactly 4 players is the way to go.