login

Author Topic: Tragedy in Aurora.  (Read 7561 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Tragedy in Aurora.
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2012, 12:06:49 PM »
If you have things that fit in your pockets, what are they going to do, hire dozens of police so search everyone and raise the price of the tickets to $20 each? 

A nut just got lose and there is not much that society can do to stop nuts.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
.....  I don't do that as much any more, ever since I got me a good pair of candy smuggling pants with huge pockets.

I have not entered a movie without a drink or a snack since I was about 9.   My mom taught us to always carry things in movies to eat or drink.  That's the German way!

Teach me your secrets.

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/the-dark-knight-rises-costumes-ban/

Kind of ridiculous considering the guy wasn't in costume, he was in tactical military gear. He also didn't walk in like that, he used the exit door because he knew that someone walking in with a gas mask, helmet, bullet proof vest and 3 guns would raise eyebrows even without a costume ban. I don't do the cosplay thing myself but the people who do show up to the big blockbusters in costume add to the atmosphere and I enjoy it when I see it.  This will just punish innocent people trying to have a good time and do absolutely nothing to stop the kind of attack that happened in Colorado.

Some idiot on my Facebook posted something about how much better the situation would've been if some of the people in the audience had had weapons and in the comments he came dangerously close to blaming the victims for NOT being armed (and kind of implied that we need guns to rise up if government banned guns or cigarettes  :o). Was tempted to comment but just unfriended instead. No point in arguing with people like that.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2012, 08:25:16 PM »
Yes a numbert of my friends have posted things along those lines, like this for example:

pleased to say that, aside from me, the other two commenter are pretty conservative, my favourite comment is the third one " The hero or heroine taking down the bad guy with one shot happens in the movies, not at the movies."

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »
As I pointed out in the DKR thread, the shooter was also wearing Kevlar... So anyone else being armed and shooting back wouldn't really have the greatest intended affect on him.  Sure, Kevlar doesn't necessarily make him "invincible" but a guy with loads of bullets and tons of Kevlar and a helmet against someone with just a hand-gun.... Doesn't really sound like it would have made any significant difference in the outcome here.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2617
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »
As I pointed out in the DKR thread, the shooter was also wearing Kevlar... So anyone else being armed and shooting back wouldn't really have the greatest intended affect on him.  Sure, Kevlar doesn't necessarily make him "invincible" but a guy with loads of bullets and tons of Kevlar and a helmet against someone with just a hand-gun.... Doesn't really sound like it would have made any significant difference in the outcome here.

It sounds like he even had his arms, legs, and neck covered in ballistic fabrics.

Guy is seriously messed up, plans the thing for at least 3 months, was well protected and doesn't run or resist so he wasn't suicidal, I wonder if we will every know that was/is going on in his head?

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »
Yes a numbert of my friends have posted things along those lines, like this for example:

pleased to say that, aside from me, the other two commenter are pretty conservative, my favourite comment is the third one " The hero or heroine taking down the bad guy with one shot happens in the movies, not at the movies."

Let's not forget that it wasn't just a darkened cinema, it also happened to be filled with tear gas and a whole lot of terrified people with no gas masks on and the shooter (who had a gas mask) was decked out in Kevlar .  I would imagine even a veteran marksman would have trouble taking out a shooter in conditions like that.  It's never a good idea to try to be a hero (if the guy in the bank robbery example misses, he just turned a routine robbery into a shootout) , but the conditions of this particular shooting seem like the absolute worst time to try it.  I might have to steal that "in the movies, not at the movies" line if that shit pops up on my feed again, that's good.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 299

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »
Self-importance on parade.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »
And yes, the Westboro Baptist Douchebags are trying to protest the funerals. Heard from some friends in the area who are going to a counter protest.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »
And yes, the Westboro Baptist Douchebags are trying to protest the funerals. Heard from some friends in the area who are going to a counter protest.

Surprised.....and a bit sad......that no ones killed them yet.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1511
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2012, 03:42:24 PM »

The Baptist church I go to is in NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH THOSE LUNATICS.  They give Christians a bad name.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »

Surprised.....and a bit sad......that no ones killed them yet.

It sort of speaks highly of the rest of the human race that no one has taken a shot at them. Because we are, as a whole, better than them, and that means no resorting to violence to be rid of them.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6841
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »

The Baptist church I go to is in NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH THOSE LUNATICS.  They give Christians a bad name.

they give humans a bad name. :-\
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5682
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »

they give humans a bad name. :-\
Agreed!

And my favorite response to them is the mocking protests, like at Comic Con.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:05:59 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »

I generally don't even call them their full name anymore. Don't want to insult Baptists everywhere by lumping them together. I guess I can just call them the Westboro Assnozzles or words to that effect from now on.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing