login

Author Topic: Tragedy in Aurora.  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
Re: Tragedy in Aurora.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 290
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
I hate waking up to stuff like this. It's just horrifying. 71 people shot, 12 dead. All because they wanted to be among the first to experience a film they've been waiting to see for years.

I'm sure some of you have seen the WORST tweet about it on Twitter, from the brainiacs at Celeb Boutique:

They eventually took it down, citing that they didn't know WHY Aurora was trending and that their social media team is UK based, but gooood lord...
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »
Annnnnnd the media is off to a fine start, finding time to blame Trekkies and violent video games.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
They eventually took it down, citing that they didn't know WHY Aurora was trending and that their social media team is UK based, but gooood lord...

I buy that excuse. Half the time I don't know why the hell these words are trending. Still, yeeowch.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
Just a quick note:

I got a phone call from my folks early this morning. At the time, it was just the standard "Hey. Here's our schedule for tomorrow" call, but I realized a few minutes ago that it was in fact a "Hey. Just checking to see if you're alive and not shot" call.

And on a brighter note, if you're in Denver and wish to donate blood for the victims, Bonfils Blood Center has asked that you come in next week instead. Their blood banks are full at the moment.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 290
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »

I buy that excuse. Half the time I don't know why the hell these words are trending. Still, yeeowch.

I buy it as well, but if you're in charge of social media for a company and you're about to weigh in on something trending, all you have to do is CLICK on the hashtag to see what it's all about. Still took them nearly an hour to take the tweet down. Clearly they didn't know what was going on 'cuz no one in their right mind would ever try to capitalize on something like this.
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
Annnnnnd the media is off to a fine start, finding time to blame Trekkies and violent video games.

One GOP rep stated pretty quickly that it was due to the "ongoing attack on Judeo-Christian beliefs" .... I think I'm going to accept that reason, as I find sci-fi and video games too sacred to blame.

I mean, after all... it was Judeo-Christian beliefs that caused the Crusades, so there's more of a history of violence going on there.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »

One GOP rep stated pretty quickly that it was due to the "ongoing attack on Judeo-Christian beliefs" .... I think I'm going to accept that reason, as I find sci-fi and video games too sacred to blame.

Yeah, this one's a pretty inspired bit of idiocy.

This bit especially stands out to me:
Gohmert also said the tragedy could have been lessened if someone else in the movie theater had been carrying a gun and took down the lone shooter. Istook noted that Colorado laws allow people to carry concealed guns.

"It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?" he asked.

Riiiight. As another commentator on a different site put it, "if there's one thing that could've helped the situation, it's a crossfire in a crowded, panicked, darkened movie theater."

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »

Yeah, this one's a pretty inspired bit of idiocy.

This bit especially stands out to me:
Gohmert also said the tragedy could have been lessened if someone else in the movie theater had been carrying a gun and took down the lone shooter. Istook noted that Colorado laws allow people to carry concealed guns.

"It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?" he asked.

Riiiight. As another commentator on a different site put it, "if there's one thing that could've helped the situation, it's a crossfire in a crowded, panicked, darkened movie theater."

Yeah seriously.... That would have been about the worst thing to have happened, especially considering the Kevlar the shooter was wearing.

What also gets me about the whole "due to the attacks on Judeo-Christian" whatever.... THAT implies the shooter was randomly killing a bunch of innocent people in a theater as a DEFENSE of Christianity.  Uhm... how Christian that is!! Yay Jesus!!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »

And ABC this morning said it was a Tea Party member that did the shooting. However, how about we wait until the bodies of the victims aren't still at the crime scene before we start trying to make political points using their corpses, okay?

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
Hers's a weird thought: maybe it's not guns, or lack of guns, or video games, or movies, or atheists, or Christians, or Trekkies that are to blame. Maybe the guy who did it is to blame. Maybe he just kind of snapped and went delusional and....

What's that? OK, I guess I'll shut up now.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
You can't make a political point from this at all. Nobody sane has ever done something like this, so it stands to reason you can't make sense of it.

By the way, who's ready the TSA at their local theatre.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 01:27:58 PM »
Folks will always try to make a political point on this, and they will be moving fast doing it. You practically have to. The longer it takes for the facts to come in, the harder it is to politicize the issue for personal gain (I do believe the "shooter was a member of the tea party" claim has been disproved, for instance). Gotta get while the getting's good. Example.

Sidenote: I really, really try not to do a lot of political stuff on this site. Or anywhere, for that matter. Some stuff just angries up the blood, and one such thing is abject, egotistical stupidity in the wake of a devastating tragedy.