login

Author Topic: Tragedy in Aurora.  (Read 7421 times)

Russell

Tragedy in Aurora.
« on: July 20, 2012, 03:48:54 AM »
Bad, bad news from a Denver-area midnight showing:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57476379/mass-shooting-at-batman-premiere-in-denver-suburb-suburb-aurora-colorado/?tag=stack
God dammit! That makes me mad as hell.

On a lighter note I just got out of the movie,... and it is really hard to comment on. Overall I thought it was a damn fine movie. Not as action-oriented as Batman Begins or TDK, but it is drama oriented, a personal, metaphorical journey that i found thrilling. This movie took risks, risks that paid off and I really enjoyed it even though I was trying to remain cynical throughout the movie.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:52:01 AM by Gunflyer »

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Re: Tragedy in Aurora.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 04:50:44 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57476379/mass-shooting-at-batman-premiere-in-denver-suburb-suburb-aurora-colorado/?tag=stack

Live a few minutes away from that theater.  Thankfully I went to a different theater for the Midnight showing.  That theater has a bad reputation.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:00:25 AM »

Live a few minutes away from that theater.  Thankfully I went to a different theater for the Midnight showing.  That theater has a bad reputation.

I don't think a theater having a "bad reputation" has anything to do it when you're talk about mass murder.

I'm not sure I even want to see the movie this weekend now.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 05:47:08 AM »

Fuck!  I was just at the Town Center mall yesterday too!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 05:48:55 AM »
Well that's two of you accounted for then.

So many folk in the Denver area on here.

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:47:12 AM »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »

Obviously I didn't see Nergol's post while I was posting.

It's never a good sign to wake up in the morning and see "Thoughts go out to all those in Denver" as your first post in the Twitter feed.

Geez.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
A particularly creepy and ironic note in all this: one of those killed was sportswriter Jessica Redfield, whose last blog post was about having narrowly escaped the Eaton Center shooting in Toronto.
Well I don't really feel like ponying up the money to go to the theater to see Dark Knight Rises, but I might just do a marathon of the Final Destination movies.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »
I'm seriously feeling sick to my stomach right now. My wife just showed me on a map on her phone that she used to live a few blocks from that theater in Aurora. She has a friend still in the area who is still trying to figure out if all of his friends are still alive.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

MontyServo

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »
I am still trying to wrap my brain around this.  Going to a movie, especially a midnight screening of a big new film like Dark Knight, is such a... communal experience.  I sat in a theater with several hundred Batman fans last night for over 9 hours watching all three Nolan Batman films.  And we all had a blast doing so.

When I saw the news this morning, it was like a kick in the gut.  It happened on the other side of the country from me in a completely different theater, but I almost felt like the ones who were killed were with me at my showing last night.  Everyone who went out last night to see that movie should be personally affected by this.  We lost some of our own...  to something so senseless.  People who didn't do anything wrong and were just out to enjoy a movie.  It makes me ill just thinking about it.

I do have some thoughts to write on the new movie and the entire Trilogy experience, but will probably take a few days to gather my words.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
I am still trying to wrap my brain around this.  Going to a movie, especially a midnight screening of a big new film like Dark Knight, is such a... communal experience.  I sat in a theater with several hundred Batman fans last night for over 9 hours watching all three Nolan Batman films.  And we all had a blast doing so.

When I saw the news this morning, it was like a kick in the gut.  It happened on the other side of the country from me in a completely different theater, but I almost felt like the ones who were killed were with me at my showing last night.  Everyone who went out last night to see that movie should be personally affected by this.  We lost some of our own...  to something so senseless.  People who didn't do anything wrong and were just out to enjoy a movie.  It makes me ill just thinking about it.

I do have some thoughts to write on the new movie and the entire Trilogy experience, but will probably take a few days to gather my words.

This, 100%

I'm one of those weirdos who's constantly going to the movie theater, at all hours of the day, by myself or with others. It's that one place where you can just relax, forget about the troubles of the outside world, and settle in to be taken away. It's a place that's supposed to be safe. Something like this happens... I just don't know what to make of it.

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
It now appears the Colorado gunman is a Ph. D student in neuroscience who went delusional and started to believe that he was the Joker:
http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/20/james-holmes-colorado-shooting-joker/

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
I'm seriously feeling sick to my stomach right now. My wife just showed me on a map on her phone that she used to live a few blocks from that theater in Aurora. She has a friend still in the area who is still trying to figure out if all of his friends are still alive.

One of my best friends for the past 15 years is from Aurora. Luckily, I was chatting online with him last night, so I know he didn't make it to a midnight viewing....  but I have yet to find out if he knew any of the victims, or what the local atmosphere is currently.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »

they should have just have shot him where he stood

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »
Hearing about the shooting this morning just made me feel awful. Shootings always get to me because I can not understand how someone could be so sick as to go to a place filled with innocent people and murder them. This event has actually ruined the movie a little bit for me. I think it's ruined the movie and its image for everyone in a way. Had I tried out to be an extra, I think I would be taking this very personally (even though my part would have been only a second or two long). I still am kind of taking it personally because this asshole shooter did this at the premiere of a BATMAN movie! And not just any Batman movie, but this one.

But of course, the movie and its characters aren't important when lives have been lost in the real world. My deepest thoughts are with the victims and their families.

I'm gong to see the movie tonight btw.