Author Topic: Author of Encyclopedia Brown Series Dead  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Author of Encyclopedia Brown Series Dead
« on: July 17, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
Well, I'm just full of cheerful news these days.
Donald J. Sobol dies: Author wrote popular ‘Encyclopedia Brown’ series

Donald J. Sobol, a prolific author of children’s books, including the vastly popular mystery series starring Encyclopedia Brown — the crime-solving savant in high-tops, died July 11 at a hospital in South Miami. He was 87.

I read a lot of the Encyclopedia Brown books when I was a kid. He'll be missed.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Author of Encyclopedia Brown Series Dead
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
I loved Encyclopedia Brown.  His real name was Leroy (like the song... and my grandfather!)  Those were so really fun books!!!  Maybe I should buy a few for nostalgia's sake.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »
I read all those books too....

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:34:01 PM »
*Checks page 87*

It was Bugs Meaney, if anyone's interested.   ;)

In all seriousness, sad to hear his passing.  I loved reading all his books and the goofy little slip-ups all the people made that "gave them away."  However, I do like to remember his "Two-Minute Mysteries," which were the same basic things as the Encyclopedia Browns, except they dealt with much more adult crimes like bank robberies and murders (almost always a bullet to the temple...go read them and tell me otherwise) solved by the almost unpronounceable Dr. Haledjian.  There was always a mystery that never sat well with me, because the solution was not based in logic, but in a sort of sexist assumption.  A woman witnesses a murder next door, which she saw through a staircase window as she went to go put her new brand new mink away.  Haledjian says she's lying.  How does he know?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least a little more thought went into "Algernon Kehoe," I have to say. Still, even knowing the answers, I read that Two-Minute Mysteries and all the Brown books cover to cover many, many times.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.