login

Author Topic: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????  (Read 72365 times)

Offline mairsil

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 16
    • PouncingKitten Games
Re: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
It IS hard to understand why someone would create an account and have 100% of their posts be complaining.

It is a catch-22: be silent and have no potential of change or come here and potentially look like an ass. I appreciate the situation, but I only signed up recently in an effort to express my concerns with how the site has been going lately. My wife and I have found an untold number of hours of enjoyment from all the hard work that Mike, Kevin and Bill (and the other staff who usually don't even get acknowledged) have put into the work here. If there is anything that I really want to come across, it is that we are addicted and need more.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
I say that if you can't complain, what CAN you do?  ...but then again, there IS my signature banner.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Danecho1967

« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »
My biggest problem with non-MKB riffs is hearing new voices with no way of knowing who is who because I have no reference. If that makes sense

I only find that a problem if they sound the same.

If they sound the same or if I just don't know which riffer is talking.  The Tron riff is like that. I didn't know who Paul & Storm was and I only heard JOCO sing. I had no idea who was riffing at anytime because I didn't know their voice and I couldn't get into it.
I just realized (no joke) I still imagine two robots and a guy in a blue jumpsuit when I listen to MKB riff.  The visual frame of reference is kind of important, and can be part of the reason some of the Rifftrax presents that I've bought (Spiderman 3 comes to mind) felt like something was missing.  I knew Mike, but I didn't know Lileks, so he was more of a distraction than a comedic element.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
I just realized (no joke) I still imagine two robots and a guy in a blue jumpsuit when I listen to MKB riff.  The visual frame of reference is kind of important, and can be part of the reason some of the Rifftrax presents that I've bought (Spiderman 3 comes to mind) felt like something was missing.  I knew Mike, but I didn't know Lileks, so he was more of a distraction than a comedic element.

Spiderman 3 was a normal official Rifftrax. Spiderman 2 was a Rifftrax Presents.

I totally won that argument.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Danecho1967

« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »

Spiderman 3 was a normal official Rifftrax. Spiderman 2 was a Rifftrax Presents.

I totally won that argument.
Yes you did.  :)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »
Also, I know quite a few people who have special shadowramas made to fit the bottom of their TV screens (made from the stickers) simply to prop up when watching a Rifftrax.  I think there's something people like about those familiar voices and the mental connection to those 3 specific characters that really draw people to the MKB riffs and shy them away from anything unfamiliar.

I actually think one of the things that keeps me into ICWxp is the fact that there's visuals to let me make a connection to a character or the person voicing the riffs.  The same goes a lot of the time for even movie commentaries in general.  There's a Hitchcock commentary I had a hard time sitting through until I watched a video with the guy who voiced it.... now that I know what he looks like and can mentally picture him, I don't have any problem with the commentary anymore.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 309
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »
I like to close my eyes during the entirety of each and every riff so none of this is an issue for me.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2012, 11:18:07 PM »
I like to close my eyes during the entirety of each and every riff so none of this is an issue for me.

See, I'm the exact opposite. In my re-authoring, I like to mix the riff in and then just re-burn the video WITHOUT any audio whatsoever, riff movie or otherwise... and just watch the video in complete silence.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »
Yeah, that mute button is for panzies.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2012, 03:27:18 AM »

See, I'm the exact opposite. In my re-authoring, I like to mix the riff in and then just re-burn the video WITHOUT any audio whatsoever, riff movie or otherwise... and just watch the video in complete silence.

amateur. i have a machine that turns video and sound into smells, and experience most of the riffs that way.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2012, 03:37:29 AM »
Funny people making funny jokes works for me I don't mind who they are, I'm still probably more likely to go for a Janet & Cole, Ronin or Hor-riff-ics over an 'official riff' MP3 of a movie. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:33 AM »
Well, worst comes to worse, sooner or later they HAVE to run out of bad movies that are either in the public domain or the filmmakers will let them do it.  Sooner or later this HAS to happen. Right?

RIGHT!?!?!?
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2012, 05:49:42 AM »
Who was it that did the Twilight riff about the same time the guys did??  I really enjoyed that one enough I made a second riff audio track on the same DVD as my normal riff.  I just mostly remember the long drawn out "kiss" scene: "I've always wondered what it was like to see you from 3 inches away...... niiiiiiiiiice..... Aw dammit, you moved!"

Actually, there were two Iriff groups who did excellent riffs of Twilight about the same time the Guys did it.  Both were hilarious and I still listen to them as well as the the "official" riff.

One of them was done by Ice On Mars.  I can't remember who did the other off the top of my head and I'm not near that computer right now.  I'll be back when I have that info.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2012, 05:54:06 AM »
Who was it that did the Twilight riff about the same time the guys did??  I really enjoyed that one enough I made a second riff audio track on the same DVD as my normal riff.  I just mostly remember the long drawn out "kiss" scene: "I've always wondered what it was like to see you from 3 inches away...... niiiiiiiiiice..... Aw dammit, you moved!"

Actually, there were two Iriff groups who did excellent riffs of Twilight about the same time the Guys did it.  Both were hilarious and I still listen to them as well as the the "official" riff.

One of them was done by Ice On Mars.  I can't remember who did the other off the top of my head and I'm not near that computer right now.  I'll be back when I have that info.
Raven's Riffs was the other one
http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/ravens-riffs/ravens-riffs-twilight

Ice on Mars also did an excellent riff of New Moon, too.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2012, 06:16:52 AM »
We wouldn't even be having this discussion if people weren't so lazy and cheap and not willing to pollute their collection with Karate Kid 3.

Hey Conor! When are you and Sean going to do a RiffTrax Presents??

Really the only thing I miss with the MP3 is the picture quality. I pretty much just do HD MKV files for all my riffs now and I am completely spoiled (when oh when will CROSSROADS come out on blu??). Also I like mixing the riffs for my home system. A couple of the VODs particularly Bloody Pit Of Horror had the movie audio too low and the riffing too loud for my setup. I was always having to adjust my volume.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com