Author Topic: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????  (Read 77155 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2914
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »
Limited space means I only want the good stuff - I rent movies that I need to sync with Rifftrax. In fact, if I own the movie already, it is probably an example of a Rifftrax that I will skip.
Some of the best Rifftrax are for movies I enjoyed on their own.  Jaws, or the LOTR movies are good examples of this.

Jaws was the last movie that I love that I bought a Rifftrax of. It was good, but I just didn't enjoy the experience as much as watching a terrible movie riffed. I enjoyed the first LotR riff, bought the other two but never watched them simply because they are too long. :P
FINE

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »
I find it odd that you think most people have a copy of at least one of the National Treasure movies...

Yeah, I've never even seen em.
Cheesy, lots of action.  I don't own them, but I rented them. 

Anyway, I guess I'll give up my original premise.  I'm a rare person who owns cheesy movies, and didn't realize that it was rare.

When I found the Rifftrax site two years ago, I owned about 45 of the movies on their Riff catalogue.

I own cheesy movies that are SUPPOSED to be cheesy.  I have SOOO many of those "4 movies for 5$" from WalMart... Crappy SyFy and disaster movies and the like.  T-Force is one of my favourite, and The Code Conspiracy is just amazingly bad.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Danecho1967

« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »
Limited space means I only want the good stuff - I rent movies that I need to sync with Rifftrax. In fact, if I own the movie already, it is probably an example of a Rifftrax that I will skip.
Some of the best Rifftrax are for movies I enjoyed on their own.  Jaws, or the LOTR movies are good examples of this.

Jaws was the last movie that I love that I bought a Rifftrax of. It was good, but I just didn't enjoy the experience as much as watching a terrible movie riffed. I enjoyed the first LotR riff, bought the other two but never watched them simply because they are too long. :P
Time flies when you're having fun.  I thought all of the LOTR riffs were top notch.

I like riffs of good movies and bad ones fairly equally.  Then again, I don't see riffing as an insult as much as a roast.  We kid because we love kind of thing.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »

I recently saw Return of The King for the first time ever and I watched it with the Rifftrax.  Had a fantastic time.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4870
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »
I find it odd that you think most people have a copy of at least one of the National Treasure movies...

Yeah, I've never even seen em.
Cheesy, lots of action.  I don't own them, but I rented them. 

Anyway, I guess I'll give up my original premise.  I'm a rare person who owns cheesy movies, and didn't realize that it was rare.

When I found the Rifftrax site two years ago, I owned about 45 of the movies on their Riff catalogue.

I own cheesy movies that are SUPPOSED to be cheesy.  I have SOOO many of those "4 movies for 5$" from WalMart... Crappy SyFy and disaster movies and the like.  T-Force is one of my favourite, and The Code Conspiracy is just amazingly bad.
I have the Fantasy and Action 6 Movie Pack, though I can't recommend DragonQuest, except for riffing.  Not even Marc "The Beastmaster" Singer's overacting could save the film.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2012, 04:20:04 PM »
I also have a thing for the good OLDER movies.  Not necessarily Casablanca old (although I do love that riff....), but anything good and pre-to-mid-80's are fun.  I would love a riff on Close Encounters.  It's one of my top favourite movies, but a riff would be awesome.

Or THX 1138.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2914
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »

Time flies when you're having fun.  I thought all of the LOTR riffs were top notch.

I like riffs of good movies and bad ones fairly equally.  Then again, I don't see riffing as an insult as much as a roast.  We kid because we love kind of thing.

Oh, I don't find it insulting - I find it forced and out of place. I'd rather just watch the movie.
FINE

Offline AdamCerious

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 47
  • Dohhhh ho ho ho ho!
    • Cerious Software
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »
What about including a modified track if the film is on Netflix IW? I'm sure people would be more inclined to buy if they could be less lazy about geting the movie. :P

Offline Wernski

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »
Is it really THAT hard to sync a riff up to a freaking DVD? Really? I'm like functionally retarded when it comes to electronics and I manage to do it fine every time.  It's not rocket science.  Hell, it's not even firecracker science. You start the DVD when they tell you to and ... wham!  It's done.  I've had more trouble ordering at a drive thru than I ever have syncing a riff.

I guess you watch your movies on a computer?  I watch mine on a television with family, so I have to create DVD versions, which yes, is a pain in the ass, multi-day process. 

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 826
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2012, 08:57:41 PM »
I am glad they got rid of Blame Society, though.

I hope they didn't "get rid" of them rather that they are busy with all the other projects (Chad Vader etc) they do. Myself?  I LOVED ALL THE Blame Society riffs.  I have watched Running Man and G-Host Ridder so many times. 

I do wish there was more frequent RiffTrax Presents. I had hoped that when Bill and Kevin were doing them (and picking stuff like SAW) that would open the flood gates. 

Highlander and Karate Kid 3 were the last hope it seems to riff cheesy 80's type flicks.  For years I had hoped that the previous 80's flicks didn't do well because they were either Mike solo or just a duo. They never did any three man riffs of those types. Everyone always complained when it wasn't all three. I thought for sure that would be the trigger! Nope.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Wernski

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
Another route might be to figure out which movies people likely already have in their collections.  Raise your hands, folks, if you have one or more of the following movies in your personal collection:
Speed
Total Recall
Eraser
Tremors
Stargate
Aliens
Terminator 2
Gone In 60 Seconds
The Italian Job
National Treasure (1 or 2)
Any Stephen Segal Movie
Any Jean Claude Van Damme Movie
Ladyhawke
Days of Thunder
Rocky IV

Most can be found for a bargain, but let's be honest, most movie fans have these movies sitting, collecting dust, on their shelves anyway.

I've got Aliens and Tremors.  Not sure either would be a great riff choice (Tremors especially, since it's already successfully humorous.)

I prefer riffs of bad movies, to be honest... Even if every riff joke isn't a dig at the film, in general it it all feels like the riffing is making fun of the film.  And it just feels wrong when they're making fun of something that's good.  It's like listening to a comedian with a false premise.  "How come on airplanes, they always serve giant, roast chickens? How are you supposed to cut it with those tiny plastic knives, and on the little tables and" and you're thinking, "Uhh... I fly all the time, and they never serve giant roast chickens."  So you're just not on board (sorry for the pun) with the humor.  Plus, on bad movies, you know it doesn't matter when the riffers speak over the dialogue of the film, because it's all expendable crap.  But on a good movie, you want the riffers to shut up so you can hear the great speech, or to stop breaking the flow of a really engaging scene.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:29:29 PM by Wernski »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6260
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »
I've got Aliens and Tremors.  Not sure either would be a great riff choice (Tremors especially, since it's already successfully humorous.)
Hor-Riff-ic Productions did an excellent riff of Tremors. It made it on the Top iRiffs list:

Hor-Riff-ic Productions - Tremors   -   BUY

Danecho1967

« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2012, 09:27:56 PM »
Is it really THAT hard to sync a riff up to a freaking DVD? Really? I'm like functionally retarded when it comes to electronics and I manage to do it fine every time.  It's not rocket science.  Hell, it's not even firecracker science. You start the DVD when they tell you to and ... wham!  It's done.  I've had more trouble ordering at a drive thru than I ever have syncing a riff.

I guess you watch your movies on a computer?  I watch mine on a television with family, so I have to create DVD versions, which yes, is a pain in the ass, multi-day process. 
You use a Mac, right?  I do 6 channel reauthors in about 4 hours.

Offline Wernski

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2012, 09:31:04 PM »

I'm lucky if I can just rip the DVD in that time, let alone all the other stuff.

Danecho1967

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2012, 09:41:19 PM »

I'm lucky if I can just rip the DVD in that time, let alone all the other stuff.
I'm using a three year old, dual core laptop.  Running Vista, and all of the software I use is freeware.

DVDshrink
DVD Decryptor
Delaycut
Audacity
Muxman

I don't bother with subtitles.  They're unnecessary for a Riffed movie, IMHO.  So, really good sounding 6 channel reauthors in about 4 hours.  If my process took anywhere near as long as yours does, I'd give up.