Author Topic: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????  (Read 76609 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »
The budget around the Nunyer house has been a bit tight the last couple years, and I only periodically buy product... Would anybody care to recommend two of three of the Rifftrax Presents titles? I've always meant to sample of few of them but never got around to it.

Day After Tomorrow, X-Files: Fight the Future and Alien.

If you'd like the "non-cast members" titles, go with Footloose, Jaws 3 and Sherlock Holmes.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
The budget around the Nunyer house has been a bit tight the last couple years, and I only periodically buy product... Would anybody care to recommend two of three of the Rifftrax Presents titles? I've always meant to sample of few of them but never got around to it.

Day After Tomorrow, X-Files: Fight the Future and Alien.

If you'd like the "non-cast members" titles, go with Footloose, Jaws 3 and Sherlock Holmes.

Planet of The Apes. I think that's MJE's best so far.

Dirty Dancing was also great!
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7105
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »
If Hunger Games or Battleship doesn't get a riff though, I'll actually be kind of annoyed.  From what I heard, read, and understood from the very START of Rifftrax, movies like those are the POINT of Rifftrax.  They're why it was started.  They're why I was ever excited about it.  They're what fans of Rifftrax think of when they think of Rifftrax.  "Battleship?! That looks retarded. There should be a riff for that."

this.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »
If Hunger Games or Battleship doesn't get a riff though, I'll actually be kind of annoyed.  From what I heard, read, and understood from the very START of Rifftrax, movies like those are the POINT of Rifftrax.  They're why it was started.  They're why I was ever excited about it.  They're what fans of Rifftrax think of when they think of Rifftrax.  "Battleship?! That looks retarded. There should be a riff for that."

this.

Oh good. You found the point of my post.  I was wondering if I was even making one.... Too much caffeineinenneeijnene and not enough food or sleep.  I'm kind of thinking and speaking in. Fragments.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3684
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »
That's the rub. I like bad big-budget movie riffs too, but it's hard to convince anyone to spend $15+ on a bad big-budget DVD/Blu-ray. I doubt Battleship will find its way into many homes, and there wouldn't be many willing to go out and buy the movie just for the sake of the Rifftrax (Even though I'd be one of them). Our only hope, then, is for a Bad, Big-Budget movie that everyone THINKS is good and worth buying. Hence, Twilight.

I do have a Blu-ray of GI Joe, for the record. Just in case. :^)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »
I do have a Blu-ray of GI Joe, for the record. Just in case. :^)

I really should think about starting up that project again... but we've got so many others we've got partially started...

Danecho1967

« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »
Our only hope, then, is for a Bad, Big-Budget movie that everyone THINKS is good and worth buying. Hence, Twilight.
Another route might be to figure out which movies people likely already have in their collections.  Raise your hands, folks, if you have one or more of the following movies in your personal collection:
Speed
Total Recall
Eraser
Tremors
Stargate
Aliens
Terminator 2
Gone In 60 Seconds
The Italian Job
National Treasure (1 or 2)
Any Stephen Segal Movie
Any Jean Claude Van Damme Movie
Ladyhawke
Days of Thunder
Rocky IV

Most can be found for a bargain, but let's be honest, most movie fans have these movies sitting, collecting dust, on their shelves anyway.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
Our only hope, then, is for a Bad, Big-Budget movie that everyone THINKS is good and worth buying. Hence, Twilight.
Another route might be to figure out which movies people likely already have in their collections.  Raise your hands, folks, if you have one or more of the following movies in your personal collection:
Speed
Total Recall
Eraser
Tremors
Stargate
Aliens
Terminator 2
Gone In 60 Seconds
The Italian Job
Any Stephen Segal Movie
Ladyhawke
Days of Thunder
Rocky IV

Most can be found for a bargain, but let's be honest, most movie fans have these movies sitting, collecting dust, on their shelves anyway.

Of that list, I only own Aliens. ....but yeah pretty much 3/4 of those (at least) are in 5$ bins.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2895
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »
Speed
Total Recall
Eraser
Tremors
Stargate
Aliens
Terminator 2
Gone In 60 Seconds
The Italian Job
Any Stephen Segal Movie
Ladyhawke
Days of Thunder
Rocky IV

I only have one of the above movies (Aliens).

I find it odd that you think most people have a copy of at least one of the National Treasure movies...
FINE

Offline mairsil

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 16
    • PouncingKitten Games
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »
We just decided to do the movie today. It has to be written and edited, and in the name of efficiency, we have to do more than one title when Kevin and Bill travel to San Diego, so we have to plan a release date a couple of weeks from when we decide to do it.

I agree that we're overdue for a recent movie, but has there really been that much to complain about? From my perspective the process and end product of a RiffTrax has remained virtually identical over the past year; there's just a shitload less shakey-cam.

If we could pick any MP3 and release it, that would be great. That's what's great about VODs, it's an easy decision for people to make and we can pick great movies you've never heard of. But it's very depressing, and a waste of our energy and resources, to put out something awesome like Karate Kid III that (really, you must believe me on this since I have no reason to lie to you), hardly anybody at all was interested in. Early/late summer "blockbusters" like Battleship or Rise of the Planet of the Apes would/did unfortunately fall into this category too.

I understand why some people would rather have the "plug and play" VoD's, it's just that for my wife and me, it's not where the magic of RiffTrax lies; it's in making fun of the movies that don't want to be made fun of (e.g. won't give a license agreement to). Some of the VoD's have certainly been hilarious, but I know that for me, it's a lot more fun to know the source material. I do have to admit that it seems a LOT of people love the VoD's, but I miss what brought me to RiffTrax in the first place (way back in 2006). For the longest time, we could do a riff a week, and occasionally do a bucket of shorts, but that time seems so long ago.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »
I find it odd that you think most people have a copy of at least one of the National Treasure movies...

Yeah, I've never even seen em.

Danecho1967

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »

I read somewhere that it sold remarkably well. 

I used to buy movies constantly when they came out, just because it was more convenient than going to Blockbuster to find the shelf empty.  As a result, I have a lot of 80s and 90s stuff and movies that were never considered at Oscar time.  I guess most people don't.

It kind of surprises me that Rifftrax and MST3K fans don't have a bunch of bad movies sitting next to the good ones.  I'm weird, I guess.

Edit: And no movie collection is complete without Tremors.  What's wrong with you people? ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:39:25 PM by Dan - Echo »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2895
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:41 PM »

I read somewhere that it sold remarkably well. 

I used to buy movies constantly when they came out, just because it was more convenient than going to Blockbuster to find the shelf empty.  As a result, I have a lot of 80s and 90s stuff and movies that were never considered at Oscar time.  I guess most people don't.

It kind of surprises me that Rifftrax and MST3K fans don't have a bunch of bad movies sitting next to the good ones.  I'm weird, I guess.

Limited space means I only want the good stuff - I rent movies that I need to sync with Rifftrax. In fact, if I own the movie already, it is probably an example of a Rifftrax that I will skip.
FINE

Danecho1967

« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
Limited space means I only want the good stuff - I rent movies that I need to sync with Rifftrax. In fact, if I own the movie already, it is probably an example of a Rifftrax that I will skip.
Some of the best Rifftrax are for movies I enjoyed on their own.  Jaws, or the LOTR movies are good examples of this.

Rocky IV is a lot of fun on its own, but a Rifftrax would be amazing.

Danecho1967

« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2012, 03:48:30 PM »

Yeah, I've never even seen em.
Cheesy, lots of action.  I don't own them, but I rented them. 

Anyway, I guess I'll give up my original premise.  I'm a rare person who owns cheesy movies, and didn't realize that it was rare.

When I found the Rifftrax site two years ago, I owned about 45 of the movies on their Riff catalogue.