login

Author Topic: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????  (Read 69256 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2012, 04:56:49 AM »
Sklar Brothers would be an instant buy for me.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2012, 05:03:40 AM »
YES!

I've talked about the guest riffers I liked in the guest riffer thread we had recently, but I have to admit, in general... a guest riffer (or riffers) is more likely to make me wary of buying a riff than entice me.  Like, I know MKB are essentially the masters... and if it's a guest riffer I've enjoyed in the past, or any of the CinTan crew, that's great.  But if they're just going to get some sitcom actor or podcaster, I'd just worry that they're going to be out of their element, and detract more than they contribute.  With MKB, they've pretty well mastered the formula to perfection, so anything else is going to look like "New Coke."

You reeeeeeeeeeally like your comfort zone huh?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Wernski

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »

Well, I've experienced "blind buying" things I've turned out to really not enjoy, and it's not a fun feeling. Especially when times are hard, money's tight and you have to be selective (i.e. choosing to buy riff A means passing on riff B).  If it's an MKB riff, I'm confident I'll enjoy it, whether it turns out to be a favorite or just "good" episode.  Start replacing them with the cast of Two and a Half Men, and instead of thinking, "boy, how promising!" I'll be thinking, "that looks like one I could pass on."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »

Well, I've experienced "blind buying" things I've turned out to really not enjoy, and it's not a fun feeling. Especially when times are hard, money's tight and you have to be selective (i.e. choosing to buy riff A means passing on riff B).  If it's an MKB riff, I'm confident I'll enjoy it, whether it turns out to be a favorite or just "good" episode.  Start replacing them with the cast of Two and a Half Men, and instead of thinking, "boy, how promising!" I'll be thinking, "that looks like one I could pass on."
I know what you mean. When the iRiff section was new, a whole slew of groups came out, and there was little by way of knowing what you were getting. Now, a lot of the lesser groups aren't active anymore. I would suggest checking out the iJust finished Watching thread for peoples' reviews:
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=11572.1275

Also, to highlight good groups to try is one of the primary reasons I did the Top 50 iRiffs LoC. Winner info linked to in here:
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=24212.0

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2012, 02:25:13 PM »

Fair enough, I do see your point.  You got into the concept based on one 'voice' (being Kevin, Bill, Trace, Joel, etc) and that's what you know and love... I guess it's the the same way some people who started watching the show with with one host who have trouble getting into the other.

However if you hsve the time or inclination I'd suggest you have a look at some of the iriff or presents previews, there's even some free full riffs on YouTube.  Not making that cash commitment might take the pressure off and even if you only find them mildly funny you haven't lost anything.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »
The Quiptracks of Jurassic Park and Lady in the Water are both free.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »
I find myself enjoying the VODs far more than the blockbusters with a few exceptions.

As for the "why" factor, no-one's really going to know but them, unless they come out and tell us. My theory is that I think the guys are finding their job is getting just too un-fun. Can you imagine how painful it was for the guys  to sit through Transformers 3? Over and over again? 

In the MST3K days it was about riffing bad corny out of date films, and there's something funny in the anachronism of it that lacks in the modern films. I like that.

Also, I hate syncing.  I am LAZY.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:11:04 PM by MerryWanna »
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »
I find myself enjoying the VODs far more than the blockbusters with a few exceptions.

As for the "why" factor, no-one's really going to know but them, unless they come out and tell us. My theory is that I think the guys are finding their job is getting just too un-fun. Can you imagine how painful it was for the guys  to sit through Transformers 3? Over and over again? 

In the MST3K days it was about riffing bad corny out of date films, and there's something funny in the anachronism of it that lacks in the modern films. I like that.

There are several iRiff groups that primarily riff films VOD. Turkey Shoot is the best. And Quiptracks: The Show is VOD as well.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »

I just watched their LITW last month and liked it lots. (And am starting to get a real expanded picture of what all the hoo-haa about M. Night Shyamalan is about.  Jeepers. His stories have more holes in them than my brains.)
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »

I just watched their LITW last month and liked it lots. (And am starting to get a real expanded picture of what all the hoo-haa about M. Night Shyamalan is about.  Jeepers. His stories have more holes in them than my brains.)
Glad to hear you liked that Quiptracks. Try their riff of The Happening too, it's at least as good as the Rifftrax.

As for Shyamalan, it's mainly because he showed so much promise early in his career. The Sixth Sense is a good movie, not just because of the twist ending. But since then, his movie took a STEEP dive and never came back. If he had started out badly, he'd just be yet another bad director.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »

For real? It takes like 60 seconds. I've had more trouble getting a lighter to work.

The one thing about this thread I don't understand is mofos acting like syncing is this super difficult deal breaker.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2012, 06:27:09 PM »
The one thing about this thread I don't understand is mofos acting like syncing is this super difficult deal breaker.

I don't think anyone's said it was a deal breaker - they've said it's less easy than a VOD.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »
As for Shyamalan, it's mainly because he showed so much promise early in his career. The Sixth Sense is a good movie, not just because of the twist ending. But since then, his movie took a STEEP dive and never came back. If he had started out badly, he'd just be yet another bad director.

Actually I think his first 2 were good, then he went into an exponential slide:

Sixth Sense was pretty good.
Unbreakable was good.
Signs was bad
The Village was mediocre.
Lady in the Water was bad.
The Happening was stupid bad.
The Last Airbender was atrocious.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »
Unbreakable is my least favourite movie ever made.
FINE

Danecho1967

« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
Unbreakable is pretty bad.  I think my least favorite movie is Anchorman.  I didn't want my money back, I wanted those two hours of my life back.

I await the flames I'll get for saying so, but, damn, I hated that movie.